Postings by Wilbur

GO!

Dog Health > My dog has lots of Smegma and he keeps licking his groin

Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:23pm PST 
Oh, lovely...LOL Smegma is normal in dogs. This is how the penis protects itself. However, if you are seeing pus, that isn't a good sign. Normally, most dogs don't have any discharge that you will notice. Thick discharge is cause for concern. Some dogs get problems down there and some don't. In all honesty, I wouldn't rule out cancer. Likely, it is just that a foreign body got in there and caused irritation. You need to take your dog to the vet. Dogs with allergies can often get smegma. If your dog has allergies, treat those and the smegma should disappear. Still, it is probably a good idea to have the vet check for tumors. But, like I said, it is probably just an infection. Prosatitis can actually cause smegma. As can thrombocytopenia. Is your dog licking himself excessively?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bianca, Dec 6 7:09 am

Dog Health > Curly rear dew claws
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:16pm PST 
I still would have the vet check the dews to make sure there is no damage, if they were seriously overgrown. Does your dog go in for a bi-annual checkup? Mine all do. I recommend that all dogs do. It's a good way to make sure they are healthy. Your dog looks like he is in great health, though! You are obviously doing a good job caring for him. You can actually use scissors to clip dew claws on most dogs. I hope you reply! I love the pics of your boy, by the way. Just be careful with those dews. It's pretty cheap to have a groomer clip them back. I do my dog's myself. But, theirs are firmly attached and don't get overgrown like that. You can actually have the vet put your dog under to remove the dew claws totally. Was their any bleeding? You will probably need to trim the dews once a week to keep them under control.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 2:38 am

Dog Health > Looks like Bunny will be going in for his rabies shots ASAP

Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:09pm PST 
Rabies is a horrible disease. Any dog that is not vaccinated can contract the virus. But, even the vaccine is not guarenteed to prevent rabies 100% of the time. It actually takes 2 weeks after the vaccine for your dog to produce enough antibodies to even be protected at all. Thankfully, this vaccine will prevent rabies most of the time. You can get your dog vaccinated anytime. The frequency of vaccination depends on your local laws. Most dogs need to get the vaccine every two years. However, the first time a puppy is vaccinated, they will need to be re-vaccinated in a year. This will allow the young dog to produce more effective antibodies. The second shot will be valid for around 2 years. Some areas require rabies vaccinations to be given every year. Puppies should get their first rabies vaccine at 9 weeks of age.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Dec 11 1:56 pm

Dog Health > Epitheliotropic Lymphoma

Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:05pm PST 
I'm so sorry, but this type of cancer has a poor prognosis. Dogs rarely survive more than 10 months after diagnosis. It is most common between dogs ages 9 and 10. It affects all breeds of dogs. It can affect the skin, mucous membranes, or foot pads. The skin is often red. The dog will loose it's black pigmentation. The lips will get thicker. You may find skin nodules. As the cancer progresses, the lymph nodes often become enlarged. Dogs often become lethargic. How is his overrall health? I'm very sorry to hear that your dog is suffering from epitheliotropic lymphoma. It is a terrible diagnosis. Initially, EL is slow to progress. A lot of people may attribute the symptoms to allergies and not get a diagnosis in time. If your dog is in the early stages, surgery to remove the areas of infection can help give your dog a bit more time.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 12:15 pm

Dog Health > Does anyone know what this condition affecting my dog's back legs is called?

Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:51pm PST 
Dogs usually limp when they are in pain. If the limp is bad enough, go back to the vet. Do you know for sure which leg it is? It can sometimes be difficult to tell with a slight limp. You will notice that the dog comes down on the unaffected leg heavier than the painful one. You will have to walk your pup around a bit to tell for sure. Also, most dogs will put their head down the same time their unaffected limb hits the ground. The head comes up when the hurt leg hits the ground. Take a look at your dog's leg. Look at the healthy one, too, as you will need a side by side comparision to see what is wrong. Put a little pressure on different parts of the leg and see how your dog reacts. Actually, doing this not only helps you identify where the problem is and how severe, but also helps the dog learn to trust you better!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Dec 7 5:32 am

Dog Health > Curly rear dew claws
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:27pm PST 
I'm glad to hear you got them, as I think it wouldn't be too hard to do with dog nail clippers. But, just be careful when you trim them. If you don't have nail clippers designed for dogs, have the vet do it. Always keep an eye on the dews! Were they curled all the way into the paw? If not, I think clipping them very gently would do the trick. If they did get into the paw, you need to see the vet. If you are unsure, go to the very anyway. Just make sure to keep an eye on all the nails and don't let them get overgrown. I actually once found a stray dog who's nails had grown into it's paws! Overgrowm nails can be very serious. When they get like this, it is probably best to have the vet do them. But, I'm glad you got them yourself! Just watch out for that quick! Honestly, the average person isn't skilled enough to cut overgrown nails without potentially causing damage.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 2:38 am

Dog Health > Frontline Ineffective?

Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:04pm PST 
I work as a professional dog trainer, and I've actually heard this a lot. I'm wondering if people just aren't using is properly. However, one of my client's dogs has been on Frontline for two years and suddenly it stopped working. My personal experience with Frontline is somewhat mixed. I've used it on my dogs for a long time and it has worked just fine. Unfortunately, I decided not to put flea medication on last winter and the dogs got infected, and Frontline didn't kill the fleas! My sister told me that Frontline stopped working for her cats. A fellow professional dog trainer told me that it has stopped working in our area. My vet thinks that fleas are becoming immune to Frontline. I asked friends on Facebook if Frontline worked for them, and most of them told me that it didn't. So, I think it is probably the product itself that is not working, not that people aren't applying it properly.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 1:34 am

Dog Health > SNORING!! Is there a cure?

Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:49pm PST 
This is a very common problem in Bulldogs. They will also gasp for breath during exercise. That is because their breathing is obstructed. Basically, Bulldogs are a deformity in the dog world. Collapsed nostrils are also very common. Surgery can correct this. Stenotic nares can also worsen breathing in Bulldogs. These obstruct the airway. However, most dogs with stenotic nares have breathing problems even when just sitting still. They can be surgically removed, though. A veterinarian can do it fairly easily. However, some dogs have stenotic nares, but they aren't bad enough to require surgery. It all depends on the severity. If you think she may have stenotic nares, but isn't having serious breathing problems, this isn't an emergency. She may suffer from an elongated soft palate. This, too, is all too common in Bulldogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 2:23 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.