GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Service & Therapy Dogs > puppy advice
Need info on service dogs

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:03pm PST 
thanks for all your help! i will deffinatly read 'before and after getting your puppy' the more i read cesars book the more questionable i find it - like you said there are some good points though.
i mentioned in another thread that i have trained a number of horses and the majority of the techniques and concepts are identical to parelli natural horsemanship! i am familiar with all the same major principles already - consistancy, responding with the same level of intent as what youre correcting, when to step in, how to stop correcting at the perfect time, physically blocking ect. are all things im very familiar with and use on a daily basis. and i am considering very carefully if OTing from a puppy is right for me - hence why im reading this book now =) i deffinatly want to have all my ducks in a row before deciding on my plan of action. i apreciate your words of caution and i deffinatly will not dive into this until i have done alot more research.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 7:16 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > puppy advice

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:00am PST 
im reading cesar millans book - how to raise the perfect dog - as a starting point to learning about raising a puppy as it is something i have never done before.

one of the big things he mentions is not to let the puppy have the run of the whole house as they crave structure and rules - which makes sence. but he said his collegue upon getting their puppy kept her in her crate in the laundry room or in the backyard for the first week and that its best to pretty much ignore them for this time - doesnt this seem more than a little cold? wouldnt this cause a dog anxiety issues to be left alone all the time when they are meant to live in a pack? i mean i understand thier need for rules but i find this more than a little restrictive and harsh.

this runs contrary to everything ive known until this point.. is this really what raising a puppy is like? i want my SD to sleep with me for reasons relating to my disorder - a number of my tasks are nighttime ones. and i want to be able to enjoy him being a puppy - not keep him in a crate where he can look but not experiance. i dont want a dog that seeks its crate for comfort - i want a dog that stays with me all the time and is allowed on the bed, couches ect. without being unruly.

im finding cesars book a little hard to take - for example he supports this german shepherd breeder who seems to train all of her puppies in packs before they go to their new home.. im not saying its necissarily wrong it just seems so impersonal with all the puppies down-staying in a line while making sad faces. i understand obidience and that a dog isnt always going to look happy but i thought this was supposed to be a fun experiance - not playing prison warden. and there are pictures of the same breeder who has wire dog crates with plastic bottoms and she doesnt even put a blanket down for her dogs.

cesars book skips a number of things - like he'll begin to explain a concept - for example he recomends clients to spray bleach water infront of their homes before bringing a puppy home but he never explains why or elaborates. i just dont understand it - cesar raises his dogs to live in his garage - but i want a dog that lives with me and is attentive to me and wants to be with me! not who lives in my garage! whats the point of even having a dog if you cant spend time with them, you cant enjoy them, you cant do anything fun, and you have to keep them in a crate and not cuddle them, not talk in a baby voice, and god forbid you acctually want the animal youve waited your whole life for to sleep in your bed instead of isolated in a whole other part of the house! maybe cesar isnt worth his rep? what do you think?

what have you guys done in terms of the first few weeks at home? where did your puppy sleep, did you section of part of the house? did you pay them no attention as cesars book reccomends?
i guess my real question is how do you think a balanced SD that is allowed in my bed and stays with me, yet is still respectful should be raised ?
or maybe you could reccomend some books that have helped you?

id be really interested in your advice and opinions =)
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 7:16 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Introducing Loki

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:18pm PST 
yayy thats awesome!! congratz =D
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 1:39 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Introducing Loki

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:18pm PST 
yayy thats awesome!! congratz =D
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 1:39 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > new to SD's - lots of questions (college, training, invisible disibilities)

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:26am PST 
Its great to be getting so many responses :3 thanks guys!

Charlie - i dont really agree with your comments, as was said any dog can be agressive or fearful depending on how they were raised. i believe nature vs. nurture is a very delicate 50 / 50 balance. and i also believe properly bred shilohs are the ideal service dog (at least for me). and about being asked the breed of dog - earlier this year i was on a bus with a lady who had a guide dog - the dog was clearly a lab, there was no way in hell it was anything but a lab, and yet i heard two seperate people ask her the breed. i think most people who want to innitiate conversation would go to this question as it is very 'safe' regardless of whether the dog is a common breed or not. Im sure if people want to innitiate conversation and they felt silly asking if a lab is a lab they would just ask for the dogs name or some other random question. I dont personally believe that you will get more encounters with an unusual breed - if people want to talk they will either way.

Mali - thank you for explaining more about Shiloh's, they truly are exceptional dogs! I am only considering ISSR reg. puppies :3

Happy- thank you for your help! Shilohs came about essentially by trying to bring back the old line GSD if I am correct. So they are a very similar dog while the Shiloh is more selective and has closed stud books as Mali mentioned :3 From that it seems the breeders are more selective with Shilohs - for example all the research ISSR is putting into hip dysplasia in their dogs and requiring health testing before being allowed to breed (Im not saying GSD breeders dont do this - Im very sure they do) but it is the ISSR standard. Also the Shiloh has been described as a lot mellower dog, easier to handle, less 'intense' and not quite as protective ect. all are which things I sort of see as a fault towards GSD (or atleast the ones I have met personally - I can only remeber one that was friendly with strangers and Ive met a number).
As for the points about looks they do look quite similar to the old GSD - personally based on looks I dont see too much of a difference except Shilohs have a tendancy to look a little wolfy. And their semi intimidating look is deffinatly a big pro to me as I would rather people not aproach my SD (although this seems like a big hope after reading lots on this forum =p).
Im also very aware of what dogs the programs use and why. I read in another thread that one of the reasons GSD are less popular with programs is because with their loyalty the uphaul between raisers, living in training, then being placed is too much for them to handle. I really like loyal - almost velcro dogs - that are very human centred. My experiance with labs and goldens is that they are more go with the flow, and somewhat impartial to people. This is likely very biased - but its what experiance has taught me. I am more drawn to dogs that are 'one person dogs' they know who there person is, they are loyal, and they have an ounce of protection in them (obviously i dont want very much protection drive though). To me that is why I dont see myself meshing as well with a lab or golden as well as a shepherd.
Also I mentioned before I have been around mastiffs ALOT as a teenager - I worked for a lady who had an english mastiff x dane and a bull x italian mastiff and i absolutly fell in love with the breed. I also keep my horse at a farm with 7 dogs (not a typo ;3 dont worry everyones neutered now) who are all mastiff xs (shepherd, bloodhound, pits, and even coyotee xs) i look after them in the mornings or evenings sometimes. The breed is fantastic - big, muscular, playful, lapdogs.. but if a someone who is not supposed to be there shows up.. anyways I am getting way of track here - my point is I love a protective instinct in a dog - I want to feel protected and like someone would think twice before breaking into my house.

I have found a breeder who has every attribute reccomended and more. She has placed therapy dogs and is familiar with service dogs. She has a spring litter for 2013 whose dad is with TDI. Both parents have every quality I could ask for - friendly, bombproof, very trainable - and Im able to meet them both. The breeder is willing to do pre 8 week socialization - she does extensive temprement testing at 7 weeks. I am *praying* this is my breeder - all sounds perfect so far - they certinally know their stuff!

I also have found a trainer who has trained service dogs before and I have been emailing back and forth and have a phobe conference set for tomorow :3 all is moving along very well!

Thanks for the reccomendation of looking at guide dog raising criteria - i will most deffinatly do this! And the things you spoke about in terms of anxiety were really helpful too Happy - I was thinking about it at alot the mall today (first big trip out by myself in a few months! EEeeeekk!!) and I had lots of anxiety. I hope very much that having a SD will mitigate my symptoms - it is hard for me especially though because I have gotten quite good at wearing a 'mask' so to speak. Theres only a handfull of people that are aware of my disorders and half of them think Im making it up (it's a mental disorder - its in my head - quite the oxymorin). I guess Im more worried about people saying Im lying about my disorder - it hurts me alot when the aforementioned handful say things along those lines.. Im not sure how well I would handle strangers feeling like they have the right to talk about my mental problems or supposed lack there of.

Anyways this was very ramble-y and Im quite sorry for the length - congrats if you missioned all the way through though ;3

Thanks again for all the help =D
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:03 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > new to SD's - lots of questions (college, training, invisible disibilities)

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:27pm PST 
The breeders who I have been talking to are very vigilant about temprement testing both parents and puppys to insure faults like those you mentioned dont occur. I am talking with a trainer about his reccomendations and of course I know not to pick a puppy alone when I have never done this before. And I have read alot about puppy testing - Volhard temprement test, needs to score all / mostly 3's, retrival test, testing for sound sensitivity ect.

You talk as if Im diving into this alone with no experiance and like Im not trying to find the best way to do this which is false. The reason I am here is to ask for help and I have been talking to a trainer as reccomended and I have been doing my breed research and my breeder research. I am by no means jumping into this before I have the full lay of the land so I would apreciate it if you would stop talking to me the way you are because I find it offensive.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:03 am

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:55pm PST 
Yes the breed is very important to me. If you yourself have an uncommon breed then you should understand that I dont neccisarily want a lab or a golden. Size is important to me, Ive been around mastiffs for the major part of my teenage years and I absolutly LOVE big dogs - and I really dont consider a golden to be big enough that I would feel safe with one. And the reason I would like I Shiloh is because of doing numerous personality tests that match you with dogs, talking to lots of different owners and breeders of dogs, and making a huge list about the atributes, health concerns, lifespan, temprement, and faults about the nearly 15 breeds that I was contemplating and Shilohs stood out miles infront of the others. Before my research I was adiment about having a mastiff - it was through my research that I decided that a Shiloh was the best match to be my service dog - not because I want an uncommon breed - but because I truly believe it will be the best match for me.

And your comment about taking what I can get isnt really very true - realisticly I can choose between a program dog or not. And I can choose to get a puppy or not. Its not about taking what I can get it's about finding what will work best for me - obviously thats why Im here in the first place - to try and find out what that is and have the best chance of suceeding. And I have already spoken in other replies that I have decided to postpone college so that I can have the time to train a SD should I decide to get one.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:03 am

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:26pm PST 
I have checked the laws for Ontario and as far as I can tell I am lawfully able to train my own dog. In one place I saw it mentioned that SDs must be trained by an accredited trainer but from my hours of searching government websites I havent been able to find a list of accredited trainers. So I would assume I would just need to have a letter proving the training and obviously be able to prove the dogs training should a legal situation arrise.

I have emailed a few programs about their dogs as so many people have reccomended and Im waiting to hear back. As I said before its not so much the cost but the wait time - I would feel alot more productive if I was training rather than waiting. I also do not want to miss the puppy phase and I would like to choose the breed of dog.

Also thanks for the advice about anxiety - it makes me feel a little better about being able to handle the attention.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:03 am

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 12:20am PST 
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have already spoken with my psychologist who agrees that I should have a service dog. I have really done my homework in terms of breed and have talked to many shiloh owners and breeders (as well as other breeds) and after everything I've heard I really have my heart set on a shiloh. I am currently looking into finding a trainer in my area - I live in one of the biggest cities in the country and Im shocked how hard it is to find a trainer with experiance. I already have made a task list as well.

I would consider raising a puppy from an organization to get practise - that is a great idea except for I would like my own dog to be able to start college - asap. I understand my timeframe isnt realistic now - I am planning on postponing college until I have a dog thats sufficiently trained and not pressure myself for time.

I appreciate all the advice towards not raising my own puppy because I have never done it before. I have however handraised other animals from a much younger age and I have extensive experiance training horses (I know this is a prey animal and dogs are a predetor) but I am very familiar with what training takes, the time, patience, importance of clear communication ect.

I guess my main concern at this point is the attention. I mean as it is I am unable to leave my house alone without severe anxiety, paranoia, and often panic attacks. I'm having a hard time dealing with the knowledge that everyone who see's me will know theres something wrong with me - but with my disorders I already feel like everyone is staring and talking about me anyway. This is turning out to be the hardest problem for me - can anyone speak about this? What its really like? Do you ever feel like you wish you didnt have a service dog? Its really bothering me alot - I do really feel like a SD could impact my life so hugely in a positive way by calming my anxiety though. Im just very torn up how I feel about that..

Thanks again, everyones advice is really important to me and im taking it all to heart.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:03 am

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 3:43pm PST 
I am in Canada so I am able to take an SDiT into public from day 1 as long as it is identified. I am okay if my dog is still in training however it must be understandably well behaved to attend college with me. I am starting to think of postponing going to college.. maybe thats the best solution so that I can have sufficient training time and not be so stressed about the posibility of facing it alone.

Thankyou again for your help =)
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:03 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.