Until we hear from Onyx re multiple entries, here is MINE:
Jethro, AKA the rare, Purple Batdog!
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by Rigby , Nov 18 12:27 pm

Dog Health > Umbilical hernia

Jethro

Design jewelry,- not dogs!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 11:58am PST 
Jethro had an umbilical hernia. His was from birth and about the size of a walnut.
I chose to wait until he was neutered at 8 months to get it fixed. No problems, and it was about $50 over the regular neuter price.
Pretty much the only thing to watch for is that intestine getting trapped outside the hole. You will be able to tell...it will swell and become dark red/purple. Otherwise, your guys sounds fairly small and shouldn't be a problem waiting.
Occasionally smaller ones will close up with no surgery, leaving just a "bubble" of fatty tissue. These also pose no problems in terms of future health.
We have a kitten in our rescue with one the size of a golf ball...hers is the largest one I have ever seen yet the vets are recommending we wait until she is older and spayed and just keep an eye on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Koby, Aug 23 4:25 pm

Dog Health > Home remedies for a mild case of localized dermodex?

Jethro

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 2:56pm PST 
Rylee AND Clyde... it will still take the normal length hair cycle time (usually about 6 to 8 weeks) for that hair damaged by the demodex to fall out and then regrow.
Jethro had almost NO hair on his forehead from about a week old up until the last few weeks, he is now eight months old. I did NO treatment at all, and his hair and skin is now perfect without any thin spots at all.
Over the years I have found the average time from beginning hair loss until complete regrowth is four to six months OR MORE, treated or not. As long as the patches don't get bigger it sounds normal.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Clyde, Jul 31 8:53 pm

Food & Nutrition > Unbelievable!

Jethro

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 5:41am PST 
Not to defend him, in any way, shape or form, BUT...I have both Cresteds and Frenchies. Cresteds do not have many teeth at all, and those they have are messed up pretty badly. Barney has a canine tooth right in the center of his top jaw where the insisors, if he had any, would be. Harvey has NO canines, top or bottom.
Frenchies (and other like breeds), also have messed up teeth. Many are missing and some are also out of place. Jethro's molars are all exactly opposite of the way they should be... they are turned 1/4 each so the chewing surface is crossways on their jaws.
There are many, many breeds whose genetic development has either reduced the number of teeth OR changed their position dramatically and that is "normal" for those breeds.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jul 1 9:11 am

Choosing the Right Dog > French bulldogs?
Jethro

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 7:54am PST 
My first one was white. She had skin issues too, but the colored ones have been better.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Jun 10 9:17 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > French bulldogs?

Jethro

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 4:38am PST 
In addition to breathing issues there are also spinal issues, patella issues and, strangely enough, hip dysplasia!! This breed is a "dwarf" breed so those skeletal issues can be a major problem. As Addy stated, make sure you only go with a pup from health tested adults!!!!
They are wonderful house dogs, but are extremely independent!!! Jethro lives in a house with other small dogs, poodles and Cresteds. While the poodles and cresteds always want to be near me and always are in the room I am in, Jethro usually spends his time off by himself.
Outdoors they pretty much always need a leash as this independence can take them off wandering. Even with good, free breathing, they are still a brachephilic breed and cannot deal with heat and/or too much activity. Humidity also affects their breathing and in warmer weather they do best left at home in the AC.
While most are great with kids, they must be constantly watched as children do not understand their breathing issues and can get them too wound up and overheated.
Same sex aggression can be an issue with Frenchies, especially with the females. They do best with a dog of the opposite sex, even when neutered.
Like most bulldog breeds, they can be extremely gassy!! They are also prone to the many skin issues that plague bully breeds, including mast cell tumors and histocytomas.
I LOVE my Frenchies, but I do understand their limitations and don't expect them to be able to keep up with the poodles and cresteds.
Sadly, they are not usually a long lived breed and 10 is considered old. I currently live with four Frenchies, and have shared my home with them for over thirty years now.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Jun 10 9:17 pm

Dog Health > I got neutered.

Jethro

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 11:45am PST 
Jethro was neutered last Friday and also had surgery to repair a hernia at the same time. His only restriction was leash walking outside, not running loose, and he wasn't crated at all, except at night as usual.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Titan, Jun 7 11:59 am

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks

Jethro

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 6:20am PST 
My little weather radio is a hand crank model so if the batteries are dead you are a-okay. It also has a built in flash light. Under $20 at LL Bean. (But, that was MANY years ago so it may be more now???)
Jethro is PERFECT, if not for TWELVE stitches on his belly button you would have no idea anything happened to him at all!
If it wasn't 88 degrees at 9am, we would be in the field racing around and taking photos. Alas, 88 degrees means stay in the ac.
Speaking of AC, my only 3 year old HUGE AC quit Friday night. Guaranteed for TWO years, of course!!!! Got a new one yesterday, had to stand in line, BOL!!! Because of the dogs and my close proximity to the BUSY road I cannot do the open window and fans method...too noisy and too dirty (all that road dirt is NASTY!!!)
[notify]
» There has since been 5451 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Jethro

Barked: Tue May 28, '13 5:15pm PST 
Well, Jethro made it thru another night without incident... I woke up at 2am, he was getting restless and trying to figure out how to get off the bed so I asked him if he wanted to go out...he did, and slept the rest of the night all quiet and snuggly!! What a good boy!
Flicka...my Mom's cornbread wasn't sweet at all... unless you dumped maple syrup on it, then it was called dessert.
[notify]
» There has since been 5524 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.