Postings by Wizzie

GO!

Senior Dogs > how to discipline deaf blind dog

Wizzie

where's the- food?

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 4:48am PST 
yes of course I meant training not punishment - no point punishing dogs is there? Must be a translational thing.

Wizzie not good at the weekend. I had to carry him home from his walk on Saturday - luckily he is a skinny old thing these days. He just stopped walking and was doing more stumbling than walking anyway. Poor old thing, he may have been hypo (sugar levels) we gave him some glucose and he perked up an hour later at home.

Yesterday he was trying to 'talk' to my husband's jumper that was on the sofa back - he thought it was my hubby - obviously he does a lot by smell these days. It was pretty funny really in a sad sort of way. We never imagined he would end up blind and deaf, he has been so active all his life. He also brings me his ball to play with, but if I throw it he can't see it or hear it - bless! So I got a bigger ball so he has more chance of finding it.

The boys are being really good about respecting him and being more careful around him.

I have been gently lifting him down when he jumps up to the surfaces and tapping his nose (gently) to say no, he hasn't taken any notice of me so far!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:31 am

Wizzie

where's the- food?

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 4:52am PST 
Poor old Wizzie. He really was amazing for his age until this summer when he got the diabetes, it has been a real struggle since then cry

Yes I think I am getting that now, it is just a question of management and control. The kids are great - even after being bitten there was completely nothing but love for the dog - so they do understand and know he is old now.

I love that you think I can just leave food down for him all the time - this dog is OBSESSED by food and it would not last a minute! laugh out loud also he needs digestive enzymes on all his food (the EPI) and should not eat anything outside of his mealtimes (the diabetes). I think it an interesting point you make that his sense of smell rules now and has probably made his food obsession much worse. I am not going to make the boys eat a biscuit or an apple at the table, however I am going to tell them that they must not move about with food as it is unfair on the dog and dangerous to them and the dog who (literally) blindly follows the food.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:31 am

Wizzie

where's the- food?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:06pm PST 
I believe I said I do tell my kids to respect the dog and leave him alone when the dog asks to be left alone. Though he has a large number of medical issues they are all under control (at the moment, till the next one). He is not in any pain or discomfort, just a bit of a head tilt left from the vestibular. He is remarkable how he coped with it, a amazing attitude to life he has. I have been watching closely for him being depressed which would be quite unlike him, and only one day when he couldn't walk was he like that. My husband noticed that when he is in the living room and the kids are playing around he removes himself to the kitchen. So we are discussing making hte kitchen a child free zone so he can get some peace in there. But he is obviously getting used to the blind and deafness, the sight detiriated rapidly just last week. Does anyone who has a blind deaf senior dog have nay advice?
What about - you can always train even an old dog, which you always read about? He is a very clever dog and would respond well to some training I am sure I am just not sure how to do it? I would love to stop him jumping up onto the surfaces, not least as he soemtimes wobbles and falls over. Keeping htem clear of food is not always possible unless I exclude him from the kitchen whenever I am in there cooking or preparing pack lunches and need to leave to get soemthing form the fridge in the garage. One of his pleasures in life is sitting at my feet whilst I cook sohe can catch anything that falls on the floor....
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:31 am

Wizzie

where's the- food?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 12:40pm PST 
I have been looking for a senior dog forum as I am quite desperate for some advice. We have had Wizzie (rescue Border Collie) for 12 years, he is 14 now. He has had a huge long list of medical issues - epilepsy, arthritis, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, yet until this summer despite all this we had all these conditions under control and he was a really healthy dog. then this summer he got diabetes, which has been a real pain to control, then he got peripheral vestibular syndrome a few weeks ago, he is recovered now and can walk again, but he is now almost completely blind and deaf. He is very happy on his walks, but with the blndness and deafness have brought really serious behaviour problems. He always has been completely obsessed with food but now will follow my young boys (5years) and will steal food from their hands and in the process will hurt them with his teeth. He steals food from kitchen surfaces. Also I can tell he is fearfull with not knowing what is going on about him. Two days ago he was in the kitchen in the dark and one boy tripped over him and got bitten by him on the leg. A week ago he bit me as I tried to stop him taking a bit of toast. I think in the last 6 weeks he has bitten 4 times. It is usually food related and is (only!) a collie nip - he has never drawn blood, but I can see that he is stressed about being newly blind and the deafness does not help (both happened just recently). I am willing to work to try to train him - but how do you train a deaf blind dog. I had the idea of a water pistol to top the bad behaviour of stealing food. At the moment he is being excluded from meal situations, and I try to tell the boys to respect him and let him have his space and watch for the warning signs - little growls etc. but they are 5 and the example of them playing a game in the dark and accidentally walking into the dog and the dog reacting like that scare me silly. Please help if you have any advice
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:31 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.