Postings by Zues

GO!

Great Pyrenees > Dog aggression in the breed?

Zues

The Gentle Giant

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 9:55am PST 
I don't believe this is an aggressive breed by nature, but Pyr's who are working dogs tend to be more dominant than Pyr's who are indoor dogs. They tend to be more "serious" than other breeds, especially the working dogs who are "on the job". A lot of people assume my Pyr is aggressive solely based on his size (he is 140+ lbs) and I think this is because a lot of people do not have a lot of experience with dogs of this size. The do tend to be dominant and most dominant dogs will take advantage of a person they know is fearful of dogs. My Pyr is the friendliest dog in the neighborhood and loves to "go out and play" with he kids, but I wouldn't want to see what he could do to someone who he deemed to be an imminent threat to one of those kids (or to his family). All Pyr's I have known tend to be like mine, a "gentle giant"!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zues, Nov 10 9:55 am

Great Pyrenees > I need some help
Zues

The Gentle Giant

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 9:41am PST 
Pyr's are one of the oldest breeds around, and they are "working dogs"! They are nocturnal (as most predators come out at night) and bark to let anyone and everyone know they are on the job. Because Pyr's are very independent you need to be consistent and very vigilant with his training. Yelling does not work. I have occasional problems with my Pyr and his nocturnal nature, but if we are active during the day he sleeps better at night. We walk at least once a day and have a play session at night. Mine likes to chase us around the house for a while and wrestle a little. They are not super active dogs (as adults) so mine will wear himself out and sleep through the night after about a half hour of play or walking. It also helps that I have another pet (a min-pin) who is active during the day and keeps him occupied!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zues, Nov 10 9:41 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Tell me about Great Pyrenees

Zues

The Gentle Giant

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 9:27am PST 
Great Pyrenees who guard are a little different than those who are indoor pets, but they all take their "jobs" very seriously. Working Pyr's who guard farms and farm animals are more prone to barking (especially at night), but that is to let predators know they are on the job. Pyr's who are house pets are fantastic guard dogs and very protective of their family. However, all Pyr's I've known are very intelligent and perceptive, calm and independent (as they were breed to guard and work without human intervention). If you want a "maintenance free" dog this is NOT the breed for you. If you want a loyal companion who almost seems human at times, this is the perfect dog! I would suggest if you want a Pyr as a house pet you have a large, fenced (6 ft) yard and you should be familiar with LGD traits. Pyr's need to understand that their owner is "the boss" or they tend be a little dominant!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zues, Nov 10 9:27 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.