Postings by Leah

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Akita > Is an Akita dog aggressive?
Leah

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 2:07pm PST 
They can be as can be many dogs. In general I would call them stubborn, strong willed, protective of their domain, rough and tough. I have had 3 Akita's, my current one is much different from the other two. I got Leah at 12-15 wks old and she obviously had a rough start! I have an older pit/lab we have to keep gated from Leah. She plays far too rough for a dog that is far smaller, and has no hair for protection from her teeth. My other two were good with dogs most of the time. Personally I don't think I would do it. Good luck if you do.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 12 6:50 am

Behavior & Training > not responding to commands
Leah

Barked: Tue Jan 7, '14 11:20am PST 
I have an Akita that is almost 2, that knows all basic commands but off leash she will not listen!! She got loose today and it was rediculas. She came back in thee yard but would not come to me. Then took off to my neighbors yard and would not come. She ran all over, in the road and down the street.I drove around trying to find her and when I got back she had returned and my neighbor had gotten her and put her in the yard. Which also shocked me; she does not go to strangers. She growls and barks at strangers. It was so frustrating and scary; and knowing she knows what comes means!She is a very stubborn dog,and its going to get her killed some day.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Jan 9 1:04 pm

Akita > Any suggestions for mouthing among other things

Leah

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 4:22pm PST 
Leah lovingly leaves small punctures and bruises on my lower wrist frequently. It has been an issue since I got her, she is now a yr and 3 mo. old. And her teeth are as sharp as razors. Some times all it takes is a brush on my arm while playing and other times she grabs.She is usually overly excited about us coming home.
She has been very different then my last Akita's.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, May 30 5:25 am

Behavior & Training > training what seems to be fearful akita

Leah

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 2:11pm PST 
Thanks I always enjoy all the post. FYI I did the gentle leader at home many times b4 using in the open. I also have a kong harness on and collar.With a short leash and a double nylon leash. I felt insecure with just the gentle lead collar but it did calm her down. Will use 2 leashes at all times. Never want her loose!frown I used to be able to take her in the pet store but now I don't dare lol...I am looking into training with a Beh Spec. I am familiar with the breeds traits and have owned 2 very different Akita's years ago. I will keep working with her and reading post!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Leah, Apr 7 2:11 pm

Behavior & Training > training what seems to be fearful akita

Leah

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:25pm PST 
I have begun retraining and I am working with a yr. old female that I have had since 12 wks. Long story but our training was interrupted from Sept. - Feb. d/t life events. Anyways I am introducing Leah to ppl. and dogs from a safe distance. Using the gentle lead collar, and a kong vest we went to the park today. I am having trouble trusting that skinny little gentle leader but today I did. She was acting as if she was trying to get away on the kong vest jumping, pulling ect. So I tried to gentle lead and at first she resisted some but then stopped. I have done it with her in my yard but not out where she could actually get loose. It made me a bit nervous at first just using that but did ok. Leah is very excited "nervous" when seeing ppl. n dogs while walking.
At home she is nervous and growling when ppl come over, and eventually stops growling.I tell ppl. to ignore her. She will usually make her way over to see if ur trustworthy. Then it is ok.
She does not appear to like kids at all.
It has been awhile since I was here but always find it supportive especially with an Akita. Not alot of ppl. know much about them.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Leah, Apr 7 2:11 pm

Akita > Busy toys for when I am not around to play
Leah

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 2:19pm PST 
Leah enjoys a variety of toys, and old clothes. She knows they are her's when they are on the floor. I bought her a " Jolly" ball that she plays with outside all by herself many times. Very durable for large aggressive chewers. Kong balls other wise. Cheap inexpensive toys for a few days of something different. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Leah, Feb 21 2:19 pm

Akita > Running akita

Leah

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 4:17pm PST 
Hello. Running as in away from you, liking to run, or what exactly? My Akita will run all over our yard, very quickly. Like she has to get it out of her system.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kaida, Feb 6 2:41 am

Akita > clumpy hair loss

Leah

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 5:06am PST 
I am still " blowing my coat" and my hair is just everywhere! My mom and dad brush me 1-2 x a day. I hope this ends soon, it is hard for my mom to keep up right now. frown Good thing they love me so... much hehe. Thanks for all the post, well wishes!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Leah, Jan 27 5:06 am

Akita > clumpy hair loss

Leah

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 4:02pm PST 
Leah has very a nice healthy looking coat/skin. Perhaps she is having a blow out. WOW.... its a lotta hair lol. Guess I will just groom her every day until she stops.
Leah is calming down some w/ hubby. We are working with her all the time. Unfortunately I just found out today that I may be facing a second surgery, so it will be awhile before things are normal again. Leah is a good girl at heart, and she loves her family very much.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Leah, Jan 27 5:06 am

Akita > clumpy hair loss
Leah

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:01pm PST 
I am 9 mos old and all of a sudden I have clumps of hair coming out! I know I shed a lot but this is more then the norm.. Mom is picking visable chunks of hair off me. I eat premium edge for large breed puppy. Have been since I was a few mos. old.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Leah, Jan 5 3:01 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.