Postings by Ripley

GO!

American Eskimo Dog > Tear staining

Ripley

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 2:00pm PST 
I clean my eskies eyes daily with water and a cotton ball because he gets some crusties/goop sometimes and we have not had any problem with tear staining as of yet but he is still very young
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 11 9:39 am

American Eskimo Dog > My Eskie and Meeting New People
Ripley

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 1:50pm PST 
I know this post is a little old but my eskie is the same way. I don't know about older/adopted dogs because I only have an eskie puppy. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old - he is about 19 weeks now. We try to socialize him with new people, dogs, and places weekly and he already passed puppy classes with flying colors! snoopy He is wary of other dogs and people - some of puppy class was spent barking at the other pups and trying to play rather than pay attention to me. He will bark at new dogs and he just takes a little bit of time to warm up to dogs AND people but after being around them for a couple minutes he loves everyone! He WILL nip at people who don't let him sniff them first or dogs that catch him off guard. Also - he LOVES one of my good friends but he saw her in a hat recently and he FLIPPED until she took it off! He is still a puppy so we are still working on everything but he is literally such an angel and a great dog until we take him around new people and dogs but after about 15 minutes he adjusts well. After that you are lucky if you can stop him from giving you a million kisses if you are a person or playing if you are a dog (seriously. he annoys older dogs because when they are tired of playing he is still full of puppy energy!!!) Hopefully someday he will be happy and friendly to dogs and people right from the get-go! A lady we met in petsmart who has an american eskimo said they DO get better with socialization and as they get older and calm down a little :]!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ripley, Nov 25 1:50 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.