GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Laws & Legislation > POTP needed for Amanda Bines' pomeranian, disgusting...
Pandora

Barked: Thu Jan 23, '14 6:31am PST 
Were you there? Did you see it? No. Then mind your own beeswax. Don't believe everything you read, especially in magazines that are notorious for making up lies to sell copies.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 6:31 am

Food & Nutrition > Feeding wet dog food with dry dog food, anyone?
Pandora

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 2:40pm PST 
My GSD is very picky and will lose a lot of weight very fast by starving herself so I do this too. I have to mix about a half a can - one cup dry. Sometimes it's the only way she will eat.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 5 5:34 am

Sports & Agility > Advice for rollerblading with my hyperactive GSD

Pandora

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 1:33pm PST 
I have a hyperactive 2 year old GSD. We walk 2 hours a day every day, started going 3 hours this week. She spends 6 hours at the park on Sat and Sun catching ball and Frisbee. Nothing wears her out.

(Once, last summer, it was very hot out and we spent the day at the lake. we counted throwing the ball into the lake over 600 times. She never stopped, never laid down)

Anywho, I would love to run with her but my weight prohibits it. I am working on that.

I had a trainer try to teach her how to run with me on the bike but she nearly killed us all a few times.

I thought maybe we could rollerblade. I know how to rollerblade and I have decent balance on them.

I would like to know if any of you rollerblade with your dogs and if you have any advice for me?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 9:09 am

Behavior & Training > How to begin with Nosework?

Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 10:56am PST 
I would like to start my GSD on some nosework. She is very very very very hyper, can't focus on anything for any amount of time.

I have called every trainer in my city. There are four. The first two wont work with her because she is too hyper and they cannot calm her or control her. The third stood me up on two separate appointments, not going for a third. The fourth got so frustrated that she yelled at the dog and spanked her. So they're all out.

I have to do this on my own.

I tried putting three boxes in the yard, one with a treat in it. I led her on leash around to the boxes until she found the treat. after showing her what to do, i let her try by herself off leash. she just ran around aimlessly, not caring. I took it inside, same thing.

I tried using three small scent pods. She just knocked them all over. I taped them to the floor, she didn't care about them, barely noticed them.

I am using liver and it reeks and she loves it so i know she wants it but she refuses to work for it.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 31 7:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Hyperactive GSD

Pandora

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 12:54pm PST 
Thanks for the advice everyone - Most of it constructive.

Zephyr - If you read back some, I said very early on that I wasn't going to go back to the trainer. And if that was your advice, you should have just said so. Delibrately insulting people and calling them out as bad owners only instigates their anger. Obviously.

Tiller - that is some great advice. A few of those things I cannot do, like be gone when my husband returns home as dinner is waiting on the stove and I can't leave the house with the stove on, but all in all, very good advice.

Pandora is super patient when treats are involved , unless other people are around. We do the patience training each day.

We do NILF, didn't know there was a name for it. I never let her do something she decideds to do because I havent given her permission first.

To be clear, I havent used the shock collar since our second trainer because it was obvious she would rather get shocked than behave.

I cannot use the bike because she nearly killed me last time we tried going on the bike. And she nearly killed herself too.

She does run on the treadmill each day, but not much, an hour at most. She doesn't like it much and I have to constantly praise her to do it.

I am going to look into this nosework stuff.

As for the drugs, thanks but no thanks. I joke about giving her doggy ritalin but it's just a joke.

Also, she has had all kinds of bones. She couldn't care less for them. Even fresh ones from the butcher shop. She doesn't want them or care for them. I don't know what her problem is there.

As for her schedule running my life, that is how I want it. I want to spend 95% of my day with my dogs. I love them. Even if she were a calm, well trained dog, i would not want to spend any less time on her.
But thanks everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 4:50pm PST 
Yeah poor pup who would have been shot in the back of the head at 5 weeks old if it wasnt for me. i feel so bad.

and the shock collar isnt crappy, it was 300 bucks. the batteries are crappy because im cheap
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:54pm PST 
Squimey - WE, as in me and my trainer, who trained me to use the shock collar especially for this situation. I can tell your not a shock collar supporter but that doesnt mean other people arent. Besides, i only get one or two shocks out of a set of batteries so its not like im frying her all day. PeacE smile
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 3:50pm PST 
We sprint as much as I can but I;m no runner smile

You know, I have often wished she would use her nose more. I have lost tons of balls because she wont sniff them out in the snow. She never uses her nose. Just the ears and eyes.

Where can I learn more about this nosework?
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 2:57pm PST 
We have a very strict schedule.

530 - wake, outside to pee
600 - crated while i shower
630 - walk
730 - breakfast
800 - sit, stay, come lie down, training
830 - outside
900 - 12 - work from home, make her lie down near me
12 - lunch
1230 - walk
130 - training
200 fetch in the yard
230 - walk
330 - 5 - work from home, make her lie down near me
5 - 6 - outside while i make supper
6 - make her eat
6 30 - husband comes home, dog goes ape, ends up on leash and lead collar to keep her restrained
700 - 800 - watch tv, cuddle with dog on couch
8 - 9 walk or fetch if too tired
9 bedtime, dog is crated overnight in living room so she doesnt whine or destroy house
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

Pandora

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 7:58am PST 
I have been struggling for almost two years with my Shepherd. She has been super hyper since she was five weeks old.

She never stops. She never rests. She is always super aware and super happy and super excited.

She likes to smother people with her presence. I have mostly trained her out of jumping on people but if they feed her any energy, she will not be able to stop herself.

We have been to two trainers who have told me to come back when she calms down. The last one got so frustrated that he yelled at her and the current one cannot control her even half as well as I can so we're probably not going back to him. I have spent thousands on dog trainers.

We have tried the shock collar which worked for a while. Now she will let it shock her until the batteries die.

She is stubborn, selfish and very dominant. However, thankfully, she is not agressive - even to other dominant dogs. She has never bit anyone or any dog.

What I would like is this: What do I do (specifically) with her to teach her to calm down? IS it possible to train excitability out of a dog? I am told she will calm down with age but it doesn't look good so far and I dont want to deal with her like this for years.
[notify]
» There has since been 48 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.