GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Service & Therapy Dogs > One more thing.....Down Stay
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 1:31pm PST 
If your dog has such an abnormally large head that it is legitimately difficult to get up from a down I'd be very wary about using him as a SDIT to begin with. A SD downs many dozens of times a day. If he has trouble getting up each time imagine the wear that puts on him.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 19 6:32 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Options for low-income families?
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:51pm PST 
I'm 19 as well and fundraising my $5000 to get a dog from Laughing Eyes Kennel. I tried, struggled, and subsequently failed at OTing. I finally acknowledged I couldn't train a dog myself with my current state of mind. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 27 7:04 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Have anyone else had trouble exsplaining?

Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 8:12pm PST 
I do have trouble sometimes with explaining how/why a dog is of service to me. Usually I end up saying that not all disabilities are visible and just because I look like a healthy 19 year old doesn't mean i'm not struggling with a disability on the inside.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 10:48 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Have anyone else had trouble exsplaining?

Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 8:08pm PST 
Perhaps if you didn't leave poor Tank outside his training would progress more quickly. I honestly cannot see how a service dog, especially one of a medical alert/psychiatric nature could be left outside and then only told to bond with his handler when you need him when you go out. Seems horribly selfish to me, but I guess I'm not in your situation. But I can say, if I was, I'd faster take my SDIT inside the house and kick the roommate outside the house and tell him to go sleep in the dog house.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 10:48 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Bella Doubles As A Hearing Dog

Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 6:49pm PST 
Good point Wizard. Maybe you should shape the alert to something productive like pawing at you, because if you were actually HOH you wouldn't be able to hear her bark much less hear your name called.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 12:57 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dogs for social anxiety?
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 11:46am PST 
A service dog's presence can be calming, for sure, but in order to get a service dog your condition must LEGALLY be disabling. Only a qualified professional can assess that. If/when a MD has declared you disabled, you can start thinking up tasks that a dog could perform to mitigate your condition. Remember, just being there, or providing comfort, while helpful, are NOT tasks. Hope that helped.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 8:41 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Everyone is fading from this board...

Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 6:52am PST 
Yes, really, what do PSDs have to do with anything? If they truly help mitigate a disability, whether psychiatric, mobility, seizures, blindness or anything else, they are a service dog. The service dogs have not jumped ship.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 12:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > tips on training

Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 7:31pm PST 
The best advice I can give you because of her young age is to just let her be a puppy! The serious training can come later. But begin introducing the vest in short spurts when she is already calm. When she is already chilled out put it on, reward her, ask fo ra sit or a down or something simple, reward, take it off, reward. The main thing is to make sure she associates the vest as a good thing. Don't let anyone pet her or let her greet anyone in the vest. If you start it is much harder to correct than to never let it start.

But yes, if she wants to play, let her play. It's better for her to be a well socialized dog that learns when it is and is not ok to play at a later point than a dog who has been told to stop socializing too early and lacks skill development.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 10:00 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Issues I may run into with a tripod SD?

Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:08am PST 
Maddox has been a fabulous companion, will remain an in home helper for as long as he chooses to want to to tasks. However he is not going to be in public as a SD. Thank you all for helping advise us in this situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 8:08 am

Dog Health > Golf sized ball lump by puppy's spay incision
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 3:35am PST 
It could be a seroma, which is a usually harmless sack of fluid that accumulates usually on one of the edges of the surgery incision. Sometimes the vet will drain it, other times they will say to watch it and leave it alone, making sure it is clean and flushed regularly. I'd definitely check with the vet though, because treatment depends on the stage it's at.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 17 9:13 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.