GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > A little venting about Online Attitudes
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 11:30pm PST 
I get what you mean by this. I've been on Yahoo! Answers before and years ago the pet section used to be decent, now people are getting chewed out in the dog category. It's pretty messed up and these people are either unaware or ignore the site's terms of use and such and that what they post is against the rules.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Feb 27 6:51 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Dog characters in TV & movies
Stella

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 12:44am PST 
That's messed up.

I've been around Dobermans before and they're nice dogs.

I had heard Rottweilers were mean but they're actually one of the sweetest breeds in the mastiff family.

I had wanted a husky because, yes I had seen a movie with them in it. Then when I learned just how energetic they were I changed my mind, though I have seen and met some pups that were very laid back. Still I notice huskies in films either have an american or french accent when they. I've hardly heard anyone doing a Russian accent since the breed orginated in Siberia.

One breed I noticed that gets stereo-typed are Poodles. They're often portrayed as been posh, snooty and having french accents. I've met a lot of poodles and they are actually a highly intelligent breed.

I met a standard poodle puppy about a month ago, very cute and friendly, she also got along well with other dogs. Also the Poodle's ancestors have been traced back to Germany, the french just made them famous.

There's a film called Mist the Story of a Sheepdog Puppy. The dogs do talk but the movie is shot in a documentary style, so the dogs behave like any normal working or pet dog. The border collies in the film all live on a farm in Scotland.

One thing though about movies or TV shows that have a dog show scene is that they have either 4 or 6 dogs competing for best in show. At a real show like Westminster or the AKC/Eukanuba tournement of champions, there'd be 7 dogs, one per group: Working, Herding, Sporting, Non-Sporting, Toy, Hound and Terrier.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 12 5:31 pm

Puppy Place > Question about puppy not eating kibble?

Stella

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:48am PST 
For about a week now my sister's puppy hasn't really been eating her kibble. She'll pick through it and eat the canned food but not the kibble.

The only way she eats it is out of my hand.

I've tried heating it up with water and give her less canned food. I've even tried a different brand.

She's 11 months old.

Doesn't act sick or lathargic and there's nothing wrong with her teeth.

Anything I can do to get her to eat it?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 11:48 am

Stella

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 11:10pm PST 
That's true not all dogs chase cats, birds or other animals.

Look at Homeward Bound.

Now that I think about one reason I liked those movies so much was because it showed the dogs and cat behaving like they normally would at home minus from the talking part.

While looking on Netflix I came across an animated movie called Roadside Romeo, it was about a dog who once lived with wealthy owners and was later dumped on the streets in India after being left in the care of his owner's butler.

One of the things a viewer wasn't big on was that the dogs mostly walked upright on their hindlegs.

Granted dogs can stand and walk on their hindlegs but not for long periods of time like humans.

I was never big on movies or TV shows where in scenes when dogs and cats are around humans they walk on all fours but when they're alone they walk upright on two legs.

Anyone heard of Dog with a Blog?

It airs on Disney channel.

I sort of like the idea of a dog having his own blog since many people set up facebook and twitter accounts for their pets.

Even Uggie, the Jack Russell from The Artist has a fan page on facebook.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 5:31 pm

Stella

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:44am PST 
Well, dogs do have eye lashes. Looking at the female dogs I've had, they to a certain degree had long lashes.

Another thing that's often stereotyped in movies are certain breeds. Poodles for example have been portrayed as stuck up and posh. I met a standard poodle puppy recently. She was very friendly and playful. They make great service dogs too.

Bulldogs are often portrayed as tough and I'll admit they're strong but they can be very sweet and love people.

In some tv shows I've seen mutts are often frowned at by purebreds. When in reality, purebreds and mutts can be the best of friends.

While I liked the movie Marmaduke I think they gave the dogs too many human characteristics.

I can go to a dog park and watch dogs run around, bark and play.

One thing about owning dogs is watching them is a good idea especially if a person is writing a fictional story about dogs. Same goes for cats.

Also there's a lot of dogs who get along well with cats.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 5:31 pm

Stella

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 11:52pm PST 
Interesting point.

While films like Cats & Dogs and Marmaduke were funny, there weren't a lot of moments where they acted like... well, dogs.

Though many dogs can be taught different tasks. One beagle owner in Florida taught his dog how to use speed dial to call for help if he went into a diabetic coma, then there's Uggie the Jack Russell from the movie, The Artist.

I recently saw an episode of the show Too Cute and a Chinese Crested who gave birth to twins was very protective of anybody that got too close to her puppies including the family cat and the pup's Dad. While it showed dogs that dogs do have minds of their own and have different personalities, they were also acting like normal pet dogs.

There was a case where a Border Collie knows over 700 words, she was featured in a 2007 issue of Nat Geo magazine.

But for me if I wanted to know how dogs behaved, I can just watch mine which I've found to be helpful when writing fiction.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 5:31 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dalmatians aren't really bad with kids, are they?

Stella

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 3:17pm PST 
I used to want a dalmatian back when the 90s remake of 101 Dalmatians came out and like many people I grew up hearing they weren't good with kids. However, having met a few they're just the opposite.

I saw a 4 month old pup at a pet store, very friendly but he's like the energizer bunny.

The one thing that changed my mind about wanting a dalmatian is they're energetic, same with huskies, though I have met one who was like a king sized lapdog.

Another thing you might want to do if you get a pup is ask if he or she has had a hearing test since the biggest health problem with dalmatians is being deaf.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Dec 12 8:37 am

Stella

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:23pm PST 
Good point.

There are people who see certain movies like Beverly Hills Chihuahua and think the dog or puppy they buy/adopt has the same personality as the dogs in the film when in fact the real dog is just the opposite.

I remember back in the 90s when shelters were overwhelmed with Dalmatians because people went out and got one after seeing 101 Dalmatians.

I've never owned one but I've met some. One puppy I saw recently is almost 4 months old, very cute and friendly but has a lot of energy.

I miss movies like the remake of Homeward Bound in the 90s and the sequel.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 5:31 pm

Stella

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 4:15pm PST 
Being a dog lover I've always had an interest in books, tv shows and movies about dogs.
But one thing that gets me is home dogs are portrayed in certain films and tv shows.

Some of them portray a dog's behavior as more human than their real life counterparts.

For one thing, I've noticed pregnant dogs in some cases behave more like a human woman would. i.e. like having cravings and such.

Having read about dogs and interacting with them, I knew right off the bat this not how mother dogs act.

2 years ago when my own dog had a false pregnancy, at first she wouldn't eat and when she did, she did have a form of morning sickness, but mostly she slept more and to a certain degree she had moodswings where one minute she didn't want to be left along and then half an hour later if I tried to pick her up she'd give me this look like: "Back off!". Pretty much her behavior was no different than what I read on different pet websites and in one of my dog encyclopedias.

I understand most of the material on tv and in movies is fiction but it can't hurt to do research on dog behavior.

Sure there are some things I see where I'm like:

"Oh yeah, my dogs would do that," then other times I think, "No, that would never happen."

Pretty much the only series I know of that shows how mother dogs really behave is Too Cute! on Animal planet.

Granted it's more like a documentary but it's fun to watch and shows how dogs and puppies interact and behave.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 5:31 pm

Puppy Place > Help Name Bellatrix's Puppies
Stella

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 9:06pm PST 
Aw shucks!

Oh well...

Glad you like the names.big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 3 8:41 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.