Postings by Bruno

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Social Issues?

Bruno

Where's the- cookie?

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 7:59pm PST 
Thanks! I'll try to find them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nare, Nov 9 11:00 pm

Dogs & Travel > Dog-sitter or Kennel?
Bruno

Where's the- cookie?

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 12:07pm PST 
I think if she's your friend, she'll probably invest some more time with your dogs...

I don't know if they have these kinds of companies in your area, but where I live there's a company that allows you to send your dog to a host family. They're people that will be with the dog pretty much the entire day and will provide much a second home. We found it a better choice than kennels { the dogs may not receive adequate exercise or TLC, and you have to pay for people to come and give your dog some playtime } and pet-sitting { people may not have enough time to devote to your dogs }. Host families usually tend to be cheaper, as well.

But if you're choosing between pet-sitting and kennels, I'd say pet-sitting is the way to go. Best of luck, and have a great vacation!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Casey, Jun 4 1:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Social Issues?

Bruno

Where's the- cookie?

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 12:01pm PST 
Hey, "Sister" here filling in for Bruno, who is embarrassed to talk about his issues.

We adopted Bruno 2 years ago, and noticed about 6 months after adoption that he just didn't seem to like any strangers. We did introduce him to many people when we adopted him, and he seemed perfectly fine, but he's developed a problem now. When we walk by people in the neighborhood, he'll often lunge at them to the full extent of the leash and bark, occasionally growl. This is an issue I've been trying to resolve by socializing him more, but he's not willing to partake in any social encounters with people.

When we have people visiting, he won't cease barking until I have no choice but to keep him out of sight { if he doesn't see them, he won't bark } or until he becomes exhausted.

Bruno loves other dogs and has no problems with them.

When people come over to pet him, he'll try to run away as far as the leash allows, tail tucked between his legs. Because he's a rescue dog, our family isn't sure if he was abused or not properly socialized as a pup, and all the guides online are for socializing puppies. There isn't much on rescue dogs.

I was wondering if any of you had any advice on this matter?

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nare, Nov 9 11:00 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.