Postings by Charlie

GO!

Puppy Place > Sensitive Puppy Problems (long post)

Charlie

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 8:01pm PST 
Thank you so so much for these awesome responses. I will look into clicker training for sure. What do you think is the best way to positively reintroduce her to the crate for the short term?My fiancé and I are going away Sunday/Monday and the pup is staying at my parents house. They’re going to need to be able to put her in the crate successfully :/ I’m so worried about her…
I apologize for the short reply. Having an issue w my computer and I have a hard time typing a lot on my phone.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Benny, May 22 12:00 pm

Charlie

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 2:31pm PST 
Thank you for the responses. She does seem to be sensitive in her general personality. One person suggested that we need to build her confidence by giving her treats consistently for little things she does right in an effort to help her. I think we are going to give that a try. I will speak with her vet this week, but I would really prefer to not have to take the medicine route :/
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Benny, May 22 12:00 pm

Charlie

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 2:00pm PST 
Hi everyone-

I apologize in advance for the long post…

My fiancé and I have an approximately 11 month old puppy named Charlie. She is a black lab mix (we think with border collie, but aren’t sure). We’ve had her since she was 2 months old and is a sweet, smart, lovable dog. We had taken her to puppy kindergarten back in the Fall and learned that she is highly sensitive- something we thought was going on, which was then confirmed by the trainer. At that point, we understand that she would respond better to positive reinforcement and shied away from raised voices, etc.
She has been doing alright with training when we are in the house, but we are having problems with her listening when people come over or when she sees people outside. She gets SO happy and excited, she doesn’t even seem to hear us. We took what we learned from the training class and tried to give her commands (Off or stay) before she can make the mistake of jumping on someone, etc. We would give her treats when she stayed off and nothing if she ended up jumping. Unfortunately, none of that is going well and we can’t seem to get the training under control and help her to learn. So, problem #1 is the training and I would appreciate any feedback on how to best handle that…
Problem #2 is a little more upsetting. We have been crate training Charlie since we first got her. On days where one of us is gone all day, either my fiancé or my dad comes over and takes her out for a bathroom break. Things have been fine with that and she hasn’t had an accident. Over the past month, we have slowly been leaving her in the kitchen for short periods of time (30 minutes average- one time about an hour). This was to slowly get her used to be out of the crate so we can give her freedom in the house at some point in the future. The only issue we have had with the kitchen was that she started chewing on the curtain that leads out to our deck. This creates a problem because we obviously don’t want her to chew that and get sick and we’re concerned that she will chew something else like furniture or cabinets. So that is stressful. But the real problem, which has happened a few times in the past week or so, is that she seems to be having panic attacks. One happened the other night when we were getting ready to sleep ( I forgot to mention that she sleeps in our bed with us!!) Everything was fine until my fiancé and I had a little disagreement. Voices were raised (only slightly- hardly very loud at all) and Charlie started to get upset. She was trembling and panting and wanting to sit in my lap and not move. She was breathing really heavy and even after she stopped trembling, it took awhile for her to stop panting/breathing heavy. We can’t figure out why she is getting so upset or how to stop it. We pet her and speak calmly to her, gave her water, etc. but nothing seemed to help except time. So then this morning, my fiancé went to put her in the crate when he was leaving for work and he called me to say she looked like she was about to have a breakdown. She got really upset looking when she went in the crate. He gave her a kong with peanut butter (which she loves and always devours in the crate), but this time she wouldn’t even touch it. He said it got so bad that he thought she was going to start trembling, so he put her in the kitchen instead. That was at 8:30am. My dad came at 12:30 to let her out and she was fine, but when he tried to put her in the crate, he said she did the same thing, so he again put her in the kitchen.
Again, I am so sorry for the long post, but I am really sick and upset over this. We thought we were doing everything right, but her sensitivity seems to really be making things hard for her and we don’t want to do any further damage ☹ Any advice would be so appreciated. I’m sure I left some things out, so please just ask me if you have any questions…
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Benny, May 22 12:00 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.