Postings by Leia

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 7:20pm PST 
Hey there everyone! Lots of posts since Thursday, wow.

Well, just got home from camping with the husband's family. Leia did so well!!! I was worried that it would be too many people for her to settle, that she'd be cowering in a corner somewhere, or that she'd just growl at everyone... But she did fantastic. She took a while to settle down and get used to the crowd, but once she did, she was making the rounds asking for loving from everyone. She slept well in the tent, wasn't fussy about it at all (other than licking our faces all night, hahaha). She's my little outdoors dog! I was prepared to leave early if she had too much trouble, but I'm glad I didn't have to. It was really fun. We went paintballing in the forest, and now husband's covered in little round welts laugh out loud I kicked some major butt, though dancing

Sanka, I'm thinking about you - I hope the old guy is doing alright.

Tasha, those waves are nuts! BTW, I think that fly in the photo is a robber fly. They're aerial predators of other insects - really cool to watch, but they bite something fierce. Hope you're safe from the storm.

Sonja, I'm so happy she can still do the reading program! It's good that she can still do something she loves so much. And she gets to help kids cloud 9 I'm glad to hear she's doing better.

Flicka, yay for autumn cheer We've got it here too. Lows in the fifties, highs in the eighties, and just a hint of fall colors in the mountains!

Sarah, sorry about the adoption event. But that girl - she's got good taste! Why settle for a chew when she can get delicious meat? You're such a good mom. Also, congratulations on the photo! It's a good one.

Bunny, I'm glad he's feeling a little better. Hopefully he gets well soon.

Now, time for some college football. Go Cougs!
[notify]
» There has since been 3707 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Leia

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 9:11pm PST 
Flicka, his view on animals is a big reason why I do all I can to not spend time with him. Unfortunately, my husband is pretty close to his brothers and does stuff with them all the time, so I can't escape completely. I can refuse to listen to his crap, though! And try to educate.

Yeah, roses and drought don't mix too well... I grew up in central Texas, and my mom had the same problem several years in a row. Luckily for her, she lives in Washington state now, and her roses are free to thrive. I hope you'll be able to escape the plains someday too.

So, Leia and I just got back from our evening walk, and I swear every mosquito in the county was out there to greet us. All this rain we've had the last couple of weeks has left a lot of standing water around; it's like living in a swamp. I've been covering every inch of skin except my hands and face to escape them, but I need my hands free for the leash, and you can tell. My hands are swollen up like balloons from all the bites. Time to find the anti-itch cream party

On the plus side, it was really clear tonight, the moon was beautiful, and Leia did really, really well on her 'leave it' commands. It's nice to have hard work pay off dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 3756 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Leia

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 6:14pm PST 
Oh good, I'm glad everyone understood! I was worried.

Sanka, it's kind of amazing that you got the one cat I've ever met who will sit in one place in a car... My cats growing up became little whirlwinds of anxious activity, up to and including climbing on the driver's head laugh out loud Luckily, we didn't take them many places. Looking back, I have no idea why my parents didn't have a cat carrier. Also, it's a boy! Congratulations! big laugh

Flicka, it's almost depressing how people will just completely ignore the good of the animal in these cases. My BIL is one of those people - he truly thinks of pets as 'just animals,' and can't understand why someone WOULDN'T declaw a cat or debark a dog. It tears me between being angry and sad silenced

Jem, glad you didn't torch the house, and I hope you got the classes you wanted. It is a weird system. How are your new fish, btw?

Lily, I love rose gardens! My mom always kept one growing up. My favorites are the Fire n' Ice variety - the petals are red on the inside and white on the outside. Stunning cloud 9 I hope yours survive the frosts.

Ty, that article!!! How incredibly adorable.

Oh my gosh Onyx, that's horrifying about the tick. Some of my worst nightmares involve having biting insects in my bed. But, at least it wasn't on Onyx any more...?

And... you guys lost me with all the camera talk laugh out loud Maybe someday I'll get a nice camera so I can understand. Truly though, both of those moon shots are gorgeous, Toto and Flicka!
[notify]
» There has since been 3758 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Leia

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 7:55pm PST 
Just to be clear, I don't agree with declawing cats! Some people do, however, and it can be a selling point when you're trying to get a cat noticed. I've volunteered with a couple of rescues around here, and they always make a point of mentioning it if a cat is declawed. Sorry, my previous post was vague and made it sound like I thought it was a good thing.

Ty, sorry for the walk in the rain. Lucky for me, Leia hates being wet even more than I do, plus we live in a desert. You're a dedicated mom! And nice job on the toy donations way to go

Princess - you're a celebrity now cheer Time to start demanding only pure spring water and the finest of cashmere sweaters!

Toto, nice job on the camera. Amazon is amazing.

Onyx, I don't blame you in the slightest - I can handle most anything when I'm outdoors, but if a bug sneaks up on me in the house, I can't be held accountable for my actions...! That would definitely be an unwelcome surprise.

Nicky, eek Centipedes are my least favorite of all. I'm irrationally afraid of them. You are indeed a brave soul.
[notify]
» There has since been 3778 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Leia

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 7:30am PST 
Oh Bunny! I'm so sorry he's not feeling well. Hopefully this round will clear things up for good.

Sanka, send her to meee! She's adorable, and all the better that she's so friendly. It shouldn't be too hard to find her a home - front declawed and cuddly are two major pluses for most people. Maybe you can contact a local rescue and have them post a courtesy listing for you?

Yeah, the gloves we had weren't always sufficient for those guys... One of the especially mean ones bit right through the fingertip of my coworker's leather gauntlet eek Luckily it was past the tip of her actual finger. Our main protection was just good handling.
[notify]
» There has since been 3790 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed guesses now that he's older
Leia

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 7:19am PST 
Wow Sasha, I've never heard of a Golden/Greyhound type lurcher, but it's awfully close. I've learned something!

Also, to post photos, go to http://jonrad.com/dogster/forumImage.html and insert the image url and a description. It'll give you some code to put in your post, which will result in a hover link for your photo.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Sep 22 1:00 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed guesses now that he's older

Leia

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 5:32pm PST 
Honestly, to me he just looks like 'a dog.' Essence of canine. If I was asked to describe an average dog, that's what I'd end up with laugh out loud He's lovely, but completely nondescript. Maybe a basic lab/shepherd mix? If I had to guess, that's what I'd say. Sorry, not very helpful!
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Sep 22 1:00 pm

Leia

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 4:55pm PST 
Hey everyone, long time no see wave

Sorry for going MIA, it's been a crazy month or so. We finished up the field season, started fall semester, and now I'm back to working in the lab for the off-season. Not nearly so exciting, but much more comfortable at times.

The last couple of weeks of the field season were absolutely nuts. We had a substantial fire at our field site. It didn't hit any of the research areas, but it did take out our trailer... Luckily, we had enough warning to get all of our important belongings out and get ourselves to safety. I feel so bad for the park manager. He's elderly, and the rent from the trailers was his only income. He decided to just take the insurance money and retire... too tired to try and rebuild. The entire park is a complete loss. Here's a link to the final information about the fire (we were part of the Willow Springs community): Patch Springs Fire

We spent the last two weeks of work crashing on our boss's floor. Not very comfortable, but he was a good host, and we had it better than some. A few techs ended up nomads, pitching tents wherever people would let them. No thanks!

In terms of wildlife, we had a fun end of season. Lots of lizards, rodents, and snakes! I got some great photos of a Great Basin rattlesnake we came across and captured for measurement. She was NOT happy.

Her she is, making a go for me just before my boss cornered her with the snake pole.

She was rattling up a storm!

We let the snake slither up the tube when we capture them. It keeps them from being able to strike, and it holds them straight for measurement.

Here we are in the process of sexing her. It's a girl! We also take length, weight, number of rattles, and a scale clipping for DNA.

Here are some of the rodents we got the last weeks:

A baby white-tailed antelope ground squirrel. So cute!

An Ord's kangaroo rat. These are the most common rodents we catch.

A pocket gopher in the trap. These guys are vicious - if there's another rodent or a lizard in there with them, the pocket gopher will tear them to pieces. It's really sad.

The pocket gopher's teeth. They can easily bite down to the bone of your finger, so we always wore gloves when handling them.

Now I'm back in school – back to normal life! Classes have been good so far. It's so nice to be living at home full time and spending time with the hubby and Leia. I've taken the girl for so many walks in the past couple of weeks! She's been loving it, except for the constant rain this last week. Every morning she wakes up, looks out the door, and decides she can hold it – she just goes back to bed. Holding it is better than wet paws to her laugh out loud

Sorry for the long, pic-heavy post! I had a lot to catch up on smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3798 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Leia

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 11:14am PST 
Hey everyone, long time no see wave

The past two weeks have been HECTIC, just crazy. I was in Colorado for ten days to go help remodel my in-laws' house with my husband and his brother; that was an adventure for sure. I spent most of my time trying to keep track of all three dogs and make sure no one was getting hurt... Leia doesn't like my in-laws' cocker spaniel at all, and isn't shy about showing it. She earned herself several exiles to our room over the week. My BIL's new puppy Rosie was there as well, and she is just a little piranha! Boxer/lab mix, ten weeks old, and completely untrained. She spent the entire time we were there chewing on Leia (when Leia wasn't hiding in her crate to escape her), my legs and feet, electrical cords, carpet, trim, tools, kitchen utensils... anything within her grasp. I did my best to keep things out of reach, but it's tough when the house is a shambles and my BIL refuses to crate her or tether her while we're working. He refuses to restrain her in any way, despite her lack of training... It's really infuriating. Rosie's sweet, but with all that energy and no training or discipline, I'm not sure how she's going to turn out.

I made it home on Sunday in just enough time to get all my clothes washed and repacked so I could head back out to work again. Luckily it wasn't as hot this week as it has been recently, only in the mid-nineties. Lots of vegetation surveys, testing the success rate of native plant reseeds that were done about fifteen years ago. Long story short, they didn't do so great confused Oh well, it's all data; hopefully we can use it to make the next attempt stick a little better. Now I'm finally home again for a couple of days, so I'm taking the chance to catch up on errands and cleaning. And Dogster!

I'm so excited, hubby and Leia will be home tonight! My family is coming back!
[notify]
» There has since been 4458 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

Leia

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 9:03pm PST 
I have lizard pics! None of the hatchlings, as they're so small that it's hard for my crappy camera to focus on them properly. I'll try again next time we trap.

Four common lizards found on our research site. From the top down, there's the Western Fence lizard (my favorite), the California Whiptail, and two Side-blotch lizards (female and male, in that order).

The belly of the male Western Fence lizard is iridescent blue during breeding season. So pretty!

A Leopard lizard took exception to my handling. We had to pry him off my finger.

A sampling of the lizards we get on a really good trapping day. Included are whiptails, a leopard lizard, a horny toad, and a few side-blotches. Try to find them all!

Also, a gratuitous scorpion photo:

Mafia scorpion is angry.

Anyone interested in seeing pics of the rodents and snakes we've trapped as well?

Bunny, I love your rabbits!! They don't look scruffy at all to me, no need to feel embarrassed laugh out loud

Natasha, I loved your photos too! I'm glad you found such a good place to walk and work on crowds.

Sanka, four feet is pretty average for an adult bull snake. The biggest I ever saw was just over five feet... exactly as long as I am tall, in fact. I have a photo of me holding him somewhere, I just have to dig it up. big laugh at Sanka, Mr. Magoo!

Tyler, around here scorpions are a dime a dozen, so you get used to it. I'm actually a little more leery of them than of the average spider, though. Most spiders are harmless, while a scorpion sting is fairly painful (though not exactly life threatening, in most cases). Hence the gloves in my scorpion pic! We get them in our traps all the time, just grab 'em by the stinger and toss 'em over the shoulder.

Sarah, that potential family for Fresca sounds great! Hopefully they pan out. I don't know about the charging thing... I've never fostered or anything, I would have no clue! Also, I'll have to try your trick for ants. They've been bad here as well this year, though more in my office than at home.

Turner, honestly, your job sounds more dramatic than COPS. I don't envy you in the slightest, and I think it's great that you can stay such a happy person after dealing with these kinds of people all the time. Kudos to you.

Flicka, I know how you feel with the heat. It's been an oven here the past few days. No wind, no clouds, temps soaring to triple digits. It really starts to get to you when you're out in the field from 7 AM to 6 PM every day, no shade, no AC. Just lots of water, proper clothing, and a prayer for afternoon storms! I hope the Lone Ranger is as good as it looks to be from the trailers. Enjoy your once a decade outing laugh out loud

Jewel, oh my gosh, surprise puddle! I'm laughing as I picture poor Jem's expression, hahaha.

Roxy, I'd love to see a photo of fluffy Thor! Maybe with his prize mouse wink

This week at work has been a rough one. I'm so glad to be back home. I don't think I mentioned this before, but I live on-site at our research facility four days out of the week during the summer, and come home on weekends. It's definitely good to be back on my own couch and not in our work trailer with the broken AC. I'm heading out to Colorado tomorrow morning to join my husband and Leia at his parent's house for a week; he's helping them remodel before they sell. Apparently Leia loves exploring their land, searching out game trails and rabbit holes. I'm so excited to go hiking with her in the mountains out there! Hopefully the weather holds nice and clear.
[notify]
» There has since been 4662 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:02 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.