Postings by Setiv

GO!

Choosing the Right Dog > Suggested dog types?

Setiv

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 8:43pm PST 
Thats a good point. Our current dog does well with single dogs, but not too great when there are a lot of dogs (i.e. a rescue facility environment) so being able to do a home test would be important. Thanks for the responses so far!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Setiv, Jan 14 8:43 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Suggested dog types?
Setiv

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 12:03am PST 
I am interested in adopting a dog from a rescue organization and would like some suggestions as to what breeds/mixes I might want to keep an eye out for.

I work 830-530 with a half hour commute both ways, would like a medium-sized dog (preferably not the larger side of medium) that sheds normally or not at all, typically well-mannered indoors (willing to train lots), I jog 3-6 times a week, go hiking about twice a month, have a dog and cat that will keep it company, have roommates that may or may not be home during the day to let them out, I'm considering installing a dog door to allow them access to the backyard during the day (though our current dog does perfectly fine without), and I want a dog that I can train tons of tricks to (smart!). I would also likely do things like Frisbee, flirtpole, and fetch, but not agility that requires a bunch of equipment.

I keep running into similar dog breeds/mixes (mainly heelers) but read a lot of push back because I work 'the 9-5' and can't/dont want to afford a dog walker or daycare everyday (IMHO overpriced). I am definitely open to other types of dogs, but seriously though, dont most people work 9-5?! I KNOW those people have dogs.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion as to the type of dog I might want to consider? Part of the reason heelers keep coming up is because I love merled coats or unique markings and I tend to click on those dogs while searching. So cool looking dogs isba plus. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all have!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Setiv, Jan 14 8:43 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Adopting a 1.5 year old ACD?

Setiv

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 5:08pm PST 
I am seriously thinking about adopting a cattle dog I met at a rescue facility this past weekend. She was good off-leash with other dogs at the facility's dogpark, beautifully walks on leash without prior training, and was a very calm but happy dog. She seemed like a very relaxed(non-typical), but curious cattle dog. She will be my first dog of my own, but ive grown up with dogs and am comfortable enforcing rules.

However, I work a 9-6 type job and cannot come home during the day. I have roommates that may or may not be home to walk her during the day. We have a frenchie/pekingese mix that has done this with us for years and has been fine. We also have a cat that is friendly with our current dog, but doesn't play with her unless they're outside (their choice, not ours).

I'm interested in getting a dog to be able to accompany me jogging 3-5 times a week (varying morning/evening), hiking 1-2 times a month (San Jose, Can, lots of choices around the bay), train lots of obedience and tricks, and play frisbee or other minimal equipment games/sports (i.e. not agility, etc.). I am in the process of building a 6' welded wire fence (not easily-climbable chain link) to section off a portion of backyard that she and our current dog can access through a doggie door and am considering setting up a small springpole as well.

Some of the concerns that the organization had were that I work 830-530 and that might be too long at a time and that she might grow out of her calmness and become a more demanding dog as she matures, which would contribute to the amount of time I'm gone a day.

What say you guys? Anyone gone from about 8 or 9am and return around 6pm and still own a happy, adjusted cattle dog? Anyone have a calm young cattle dog that grew up to be a handful? I dont want to do her wrong, but I feel like this'll work and felt like I vibed with her pretty well. 8-10 hours day can't be too bad, with access to toys, the outside, the occassional person, and a canine older, smaller sister, can it? Id love to hear both good and bad stories!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Logan, Jan 12 6:46 pm

Irish Terrier > IT Training and Friendliness

Setiv

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 10:31pm PST 
I'm seriously thinking of getting an Irish Terrier to add to my household where I will be the primary caregiver. I've done a bunch of research, but now I'm curious about a few things:

-Does anyone here do obedience/rally/agility/tracking/disc/etc. with their ITs? How quickly did you feel the dog picked things up? Is there a sport that ITs specifically like/might excel at?

-Does anyone walk their dog off-leash for either short spurts or whole walks? I know they're not the ideal dog for this, but I wonder if anyone has put some serious time and training into this and what there results are.

-Did anyone here clicker train their Irish? Did you feel it made a difference with your IT as opposed to other dogs/IT you may have trained in the past using other methods?

-How dog-unfriendly and stranger-unfriendly are ITs really? Many descriptions depict them as very headstrong and not very peaceful with other dogs, but how is that truly playing out now that we're in a contemporary society where the dogs and their parents are mostly companions with typically higher socialization opportunities than the dogs of our past?

-How much does your Irish Terrier bark? I've heard many different opinions on this.

Much of my internet research has shown me two things: 1 most of the information comes from the same source, often with the same verbiage and/or 2 much of the information is a little outdated, even the breed standard describes the dogs as smaller than what they typically are nowadays. So here I am asking Irish Terrier owners their opinions. Thanks in advance for the advice! =]
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 18 3:55 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.