GO!

Get Well Soon > Not Much Longer Left

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 12:39pm PST 
Thanks you guys, I really do appreciate the support and kind words. I got Jenna's ashes and put them with her blanket and collar on my dresser. I get to pick out a tree to plant in her memory as well. Some other news, my dad and step-mom got a new puppy last Friday :/ not sure how I feel about that yet. My mom makes a good point though and says it just might be a way of coping with things.

Anywho, thought I'd share some pics of Jenna for anyone who might wanna see them

Girly
My Guardian Angel
Sleepy time
Sucking on an antler
Jenna and Kiara
My super-dog
During the last weekend I had with her
Even when she was sick she could still watch out for me
The very last picture I got of her the day right before she died. She doesn't look too good :c
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 17 6:29 pm

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 6:10pm PST 
So on April 1st, Jenna was put to sleep after her condition deteriorated dramatically. She had lost a lot of weight so her spine and hip bones were easy to see, she got a huge mass in her abdomen which made it painful for her to eat, abcesses had appeared in her nose and the mass near her throat was still there so she had a hard time breathing. She also had a fever that came and went. My dad had taken her to the vet the Thursday before because of everything and the vet expected him to have her euthanized then and there but he wanted me to be able to see her one last time so the vet told us to give her pain killers to ease her pain and make her days more comfortable and warned my dad that she didn't expect Jenna to make it through the weekend. My dad told me everything the Friday we came and so for the rest of that weekend I spent all of my time with her and did what I could to help her out. Her last meals were her favorite, a couple of McDonald's hamburgers and some fries. I slept with her in the living room every night and I guess the real moment everything hit home was when she couldn't even climb up the stairs out of the basement or when she cuoldn't walk through the backyard without having to lay down, breathing hard, and take a break even when it was 30 degrees outside. She really tried her best though and my tough girl made it through the weekend. Around 11:30 Monday morning we made the final trip to the vet, Jenna's blankie that she always slept with in hand, and we were led into the typical little room. The vet was really understanding and helped everything feel a little better, explaining this was the best thing for Jenna and she wouldn't be in anymore pain. When the time came Jenna seemed very at peace, covered with her blanket and with my dad and I petting her. So now she's no longer in pain which I'm thankful for but it doesn't help at all with the sadness.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 6:29 pm

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 5:17pm PST 
Sorry about your Grandma's dog.
I was hoping there was something we could do about the weight :/. I'll definitely be doing lots of things with her that she likes to do like going to stores or on nice quiet walks oh plus giving her lots of bellyrubs which she already gets plenty of c:
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 6:29 pm

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:26pm PST 
Apparently everything I typed didn't go through confused so here's the rest of that post or what I can rememberd of it anyways:
I went to my dad's over the weekend and got to see Jenna again and she's still doing well save for losing weight. She got to go out to Petsmart with me and my dad and met some puppies and got petted by lots of people as well as some treats from two nice ladies. After that she got to go on a walk with Kiara and I noticed she squats down to where she's nearly sitting whenever she pees. Besides that and slowing down some/reluctance to go up or down any stairs even outside plus the losing weight she's doing well. She got some nice new treats like a deer antler to chew, or rather suck on in her case.
I do have a question about the losing weight. It's normal for dogs who have cancer to lose weight if I'm not mistaken but would feeding her extra food help at all or would it just be in vain?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 6:29 pm

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 5:56pm PST 
Thanks you guys
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 6:29 pm

Who's Feeling Silly? > Which breed would you own? Game
In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 6:22pm PST 
American Foxhound

Xoloitzcuintli or Mountain Cur?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jul 2 9:34 pm

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 6:18pm PST 
So we took Jenna in yesterday for an ear infection, a hard lump I found in her armpit that wasn't like the fatty ones she has, and then an occasional cough she had developed over the last couple weeks. Nobody thought anything was going to happen when my dad and I took her to the vet...we were definitely wrong. The vet had a look at her, felt the lump and then started feeling around and discovered all of Jenna's lymph nodes were really swollen. A while later after tests and chest x-rays we found Jenna had stage 5b lymphoma. The coughing was because of a mass that is slightly pushing up on her esophagus (thank goodness it's only a small one and isn't keeping her from eating or anything)The dog that I have grown up with and thought would live for years to come diagnosed with advanced stage of cancer and figured to only have a couple months to live if not a bit more(let's hope more). We talked about treatment plans and chemotherapy wasn't really an option, it had little chance of doing anything and Jenna would just be miserable through it which nobody wanted so the vet gave us steroids to make what days she has left more comfortable. I'm still trying to process that this is actually happening and it's hard not really knowing how much longer my baby girl has especially when I don't even get to spend the whole time with her because she's with my dad who I only get to visit every other weekend frown
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 6:29 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Which Dog Breed do you have...???

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:43pm PST 
Jenna-An unknown mix (Possibly pitbull or chow chow???)

Kiara-English Mastiff

Storm- Lab/Shepherd Mix
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 3 9:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Puppy has some serious possessive issues

In Memory of- Jenna

Got that old dog- swag

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 2:12pm PST 
So, a new puppy joined the family a few months ago and all went pretty well for a while, Jenna put her in her place when she got out of line and Kiara let Storm-the puppy- get away with quite a bit. Now her possessiveness has been pretty apparent since we got her but have started escalating to the point where if Kiara picks up anything that Storm likes or if she decides she doesn't want Kiara near someone, Storm goes after her. Kiara is a dog that never showed any sort of aggression before towards anything really, but now that Storm is going after her over every little thing she's standing up for herself and fights are breaking out. Nobody has gotten hurt so far but if Kiara gets really mad and reaches a breaking point of sorts she could easily injure Storm seriously and even kill her. So I was wondering if there was something I could maybe tell my step mom and my dad to do to help get Storm under control. I was thinking teaching her something like 'leave it' or some impulse control might work but I'm not sure if step mom would continue the training when I left and it would take a while to build her up to a really good, trusty leave it(I basically only go over every other weekend during the school year). Suggestions or help of any kind is greatly appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 27 2:12 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.