Postings by Niko

GO!

Akita > 8 Month Old Akita

Niko

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 11:51am PST 
I have an 8 month old Akita. I have had her since she was 7 weeks old. In the past month, she has been developing an aggression toward other female dogs (she is a female). She has attacked my parents 10 year old Shih Tzu numerous times. She lives with my boyfriend and I in a complex of condos. I have still never heard her bark. She is very lovable, but standoff-ish toward other people. She is a big baby until it comes to other female dogs. All of the other dogs in this complex are small. Two chihuahuas have barked and jumped at her, but she paid them no mind. She continued to walk on her leash and did not leave my side. I have heard her make small grumbles under her breath, but never a real bark. She plays very well with my brother's 5 year old male Doberman. Should I be leery about taking her around other female dogs? She is 8 months and 81 pounds.

Does anyone else have an Akita who lives in an apartment? She is a frequent visitor of my parents home - where she lived for approximately 5 months. Their house is much larger (4,000+ sqft) with a huge fenced in back yard.

Also, I have noticed her ears coinciding with her thinking. When her ears are really close together, she is typically about to do something mischievous. The further apart her ears are spread, the more relaxed she is.

She has a thing for destroying pillows. She has destroyed two large-dog sleeping pillows as well as numerous decorative pillows on furniture. She has a large-dog crate, but I would like to get to the point of trusting her and her being allowed to stay out while I am not home.

If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 13 11:23 pm

Akita > 8 Month Old Akita
Niko

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 11:49am PST 
I have an 8 month old Akita. I have had her since she was 7 weeks old. In the past month, she has been developing an aggression toward other female dogs (she is a female). She has attacked my parents 10 year old Shih Tzu numerous times. She lives with my boyfriend and I in a complex of condos. I have still never heard her bark. She is very lovable, but standoff-ish toward other people. She is a big baby until it comes to other female dogs. All of the other dogs in this complex are small. Two chihuahuas have barked and jumped at her, but she paid them no mind. She continued to walk on her leash and did not leave my side. I have heard her make small grumbles under her breath, but never a real bark. She plays very well with my brother's 5 year old male Doberman. Should I be leery about taking her around other female dogs? She is 8 months and 81 pounds.

Does anyone else have an Akita who lives in an apartment? She is a frequent visitor of my parents home - where she lived for approximately 5 months. Their house is much larger (4,000+ sqft) with a huge fenced in back yard.

Also, I have noticed her ears coinciding with her thinking. When her ears are really close together, she is typically about to do something mischievous. The further apart her ears are spread, the more relaxed she is.

She has a thing for destroying pillows. She has destroyed two large-dog sleeping pillows as well as numerous decorative pillows on furniture. She has a large-dog crate, but I would like to get to the point of trusting her and her being allowed to stay out while I am not home.

If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Niko, Sep 3 11:49 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.