GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Choosing the Right Dog > Samoyed question
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 11:34am PST 
I'm in the same boat as you and picked an adult dog for the same reason. Must you get a puppy? My girl was a full grown adult when I got her and she is so wonderful! I mean if you just wanted a dog an adult would more than fit the bill. I don't think you should write things off just yet, since it sounds like you really want one.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 26 11:34 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The Search Goes On (Breed Suggestions/Questions)
Miyu CGC

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 10:22pm PST 
Kye, thanks for the insight and for sharing!! I volunteered for a bit with a greyhound rescue and most of what you cited is not new to me, with the exception of what a pup might need. That makes sense though. Unlike you I don't mind the not off-leash except in a fenced area rule. These dogs have such high chase drive, and they're so fast they're gone before you know it. And personally I'm leery of letting my dogs off leash anyway. Paranoid much? party

But thanks again! I know a Borzoi isn't right for me at this time in life. Unlike you, I don't see my desire for one changing, I think. I just need to be in the correct home and place in life to have one. What I think might change my mind is being so used to GSDs. I love the gentleness of the sighthounds, but who knows? By then I might be addicted to handler bond, versatility and protectiveness. We'll see.

And as for the SSA stuff... much more educated people have said it much more eloquently in posts above mine. It comes as part of the breed, some stronger than others. I feel like to expect something else of a breed like Akitas would be like expecting a beagle to not have that strong scent drive. It's just a part of what they are. Now I do think you can temper it some- they shouldn't be IMO frothing at the mouth or trying to attack any dog of the same gender they pass, but they will likely never be trustworthy unsupervised. And if another dog tries to start something.... fuhgeddaboutit!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 3 5:58 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The Search Goes On (Breed Suggestions/Questions)

Miyu CGC

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 9:04pm PST 
Kye, can I ask you what changed your mind about the Borzoi? I ask this only because it's a bit of a dream dog down the line for myself and like you want to make the right choice and do research. Something which is a bit difficult given that Zois just aren't common. What did this lady say?
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Aug 3 5:58 pm

Dog Health > Cone alternative recommendations?

Miyu CGC

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 9:12am PST 
Hi guys! I have a new foster with us and he just got neutered yesterday. Poor boy is miserable, and I'm thinking of investing in a soft or inflatable cone for him and any future fosters we have.

Have you guys used any? Did you have any you liked, or didn't, and for what reasons? Anything I should look out for? Any brands you like?

He (and future fosters) will be GSDs, for reference. So we do need cones/alternatives to have large sizes.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 1:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed Suggestions?

Miyu CGC

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 9:10am PST 
Lily I read your requirements and thought GSD right away. smile With the right animal you'll definitely get what you're listing off. Are you looking at rescue or breeders?
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Aug 1 8:38 am

Choosing the Right Dog > White Shepherd - Thin fur around the eyes?
Miyu CGC

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 7:48pm PST 
OMG. I DIE. He is too cute! I'll send a link of that to the lady and see what she says, hang tight!

Really though he looks just fine imo. Could be like you said the fur is light and the skin dark so its really obvious...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 7:48 pm

Miyu CGC

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:26pm PST 
Arkane, if you can post pics I can ask the lady that runs our white GSD rescue what she thinks...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 7:48 pm

Miyu CGC

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 12:58pm PST 
Squ'mey, I was looking at the pictures and you'll have to judge for yourself, but I didn't see anything abnormal....
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 7:48 pm

Miyu CGC

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 12:02pm PST 
Um... not sure if this forum is the right place to post this?

But anyways, I don't see anything abnormal. Miyu has the same, as does almost every other white shepherd that comes through our rescue. Can you clarify what is worrying you? Is it because it looks like you can see skin through the fur?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 7:48 pm

Behavior & Training > Small update
Miyu CGC

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 12:41pm PST 
I'm glad you have your Mulder back. It was smart to recognize your frustration and good for you for being willing to take the steps to resolve it. It's clearly helping things, so good for you two! (three, since Ridley's working things out!)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 1 12:41 pm

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.