Postings by Winston-dog

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Raw Food Diet > you know you are a raw feeder when....
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 7:57pm PST 
When I am hunched over in the dog park, desperately trying to find a tiny poo!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Hank, Jun 5 6:17 am

Raw Food Diet > liver?
Winston-dog

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 2:56pm PST 
You will be fine to introduce liver as your next new meat, just do it SLOWLY!! I fed a tiny sliver every couple of days, and then 2 slivers, and so on. After liver is introduced, I'd introduce another organ, then back to meats/whatever you find.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bullie, May 9 3:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > Has anybody seen this blog about raw feeding?

Winston-dog

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 1:59pm PST 
Guest, I feel it has more value than just an anecdote, because it has the bloodwork to back it up.
To get money for any sort of statistically significant study, you need to be able to point to prior research indicating there is value in what you are hoping to look at.
This could be one such example of prior research, and I would like to see the vet involved write it up as such. It's a good first step.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Winston-dog, Feb 12 1:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > dog study, diet related, different from wolves

Winston-dog

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 1:57pm PST 
Quote from paper: "Author Information Sequence reads are available under the accession number
SRA061854 (NCBI Sequence Read Archive). Reprints and permissions information is
available at www.nature.com/reprints. The authors declare no competing financial
interests. Readers are welcome to comment on the online version of the paper.
Correspondence and requests for materials should be addressed to E.A.
(Erik.Axelsson@imbim.uu.se) and K.L-T. (kersli@broadinstitute.org)."

I.e. not funded by pet food companies. The paper says nothing about whether or not you should feed your dog meat, you can blame the accompanying media for that.
Follow Conkers link for more information.
We as raw feeders want scientific studies done on dog diet, do we only want them if they "agree with what we already know to be true"?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 2 4:41 pm

Winston-dog

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:39pm PST 
And if some clever person can let me know how to post a pdf here, you can all see the full article smile
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 4:41 pm

Winston-dog

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:35pm PST 
I love you guys hug
I have run into this study 3 times so far on different forums today, and everyone is all "I don't care what anyone tells me, I 'm going to keep feeding my dog raw". Here, everyone has actually realised that so far as raw feeding for dogs goes, it doesn't actually make much difference. SENSE! on the INTERNET!
Copy pasted is my response on a previous site:
"Firstly, it doesn't surprise me. Natural selection dictates that the animal that does best in the environment it finds itself in will survive and reproduce more, leading to decendants that also do well in that environment. Wolves have the same amylase gene, it is noted to be a copy number variable gene, so it makes sense that when humans started throwing out starchy waste, the proto-dogs that survived best were the ones that could utilise that (i.e. have more copies of the amylase gene), leading to those with higher copy numbers surviving at the expense of others.

However, what the paper does NOT say is that there are ingredients in starchy foods that dogs need that they can get nowhere else, only that they CAN use it as a source of energy. I think the authors have gone too far in concluding solely from this study that dogs do not benefit from on a meat based diet (nutrients as well as energy needs to be considered).

Therefore, I will continue to feed my dogs a meat-based diet, and I will continue to drop potato peelings on the floor for them. Another interesting thought, as the gene for amylase is copy-number variable, that means there will be some domestic dogs who can get more energy out of starch than others, and thus do better on starchy diets, just saying"
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 4:41 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw dog getting skin problems

Winston-dog

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:41pm PST 
Winston doesn't cope with fish well, and he was getting chronic ear infections while I was feeding it before I realised. Did you make any (even small) changes to the diet around the time the problems first cropped up?
Otherwise I would suspect a zinc or vitamin E deficiency, both can have skin problems as symptoms, and vitamin e is fat soluble, so it would take a while for a deficiency to show up.
Hope this helps
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 25 5:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > Non-poultry edible bones?

Winston-dog

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 12:39pm PST 
Lamb, rabbit, deer, beef, pork, fish, just off the top of my head.
Hope this helps
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Winston-dog, Jan 10 12:39 pm

Raw Food Diet > Skulls, bones and guts - A few Questions

Winston-dog

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 11:55am PST 
Winston loved pork heads, A whole one would last him about 4 days, and only a small part of the jawbone would be left. Have fun, but like others have said, dont buy too much all at once until you know for sure your dog eats it.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Dec 26 2:33 pm

Raw Food Diet > Another Newbie Questions: Chicken Leg Quarters
Winston-dog

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:35pm PST 
My boys are 24kg (53 pound), and eat 600-750g (21-27 ounces) per day, but they are very young active dogs and one is building a lot of muscle.
We feed twice a day, but I am considering switching to once a day so I could feed larger bits. Feeding once a day would save you chopping the chicken quarter.
Hope this helps
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Dec 13 7:52 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.