Close X

Postings by Abrams Tank SD

GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog In Training Help!
Abrams Tank- SD

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sat Feb 13, '16 2:00pm PST 
Like others have said start with the basics. Then as she gets older begin training the other things. My husband's current SD we trained from much younger than Dixie is. Tank is now 4 years old. Sadly though we know in time Tank will have to retire because his work is so hard on his joints, as he is both a mobility dog and a PTSD dog. We are working with his successor dog now. She is an 8 month old white German Shepherd Dog. But I have been ill so I havent been able to much work with young Gypsy much lately but when we do take her out for training we often take Tank along so she learns from him. Its been working well for us just remember however that FAST is SLOW.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Azkaban, Apr 30 5:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > White German Shepherds as Service Dogs?
Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Wed Sep 9, '15 9:25pm PST 
@ Levi my husband's current SD is a German Shepherd crossed with black lab. Tank has not shown any signs of the "guarding"of his handler that you are talking of.

Gypsy is only four months old or around that. We drove from our home in Indiana to Springfield MO. to get her. She is a little shy when she first meets people but once she gets to know them then she is fine with them. She has already figured out that she has to cuddle my husband when he starts into a panic attack. We are still working with her on getting her commands down but she knows sit, stay, heel, cuddle and we are working on a couple others.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tia Star, Sep 27 10:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > White German Shepherds as Service Dogs?

Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '15 12:10pm PST 
A few weeks ago I was on facebook on the White German Shepherd page and had posted about the fact that I was considering getting my hubby a White German Shepherd pup in a few years after a couple of the older dogs are gone. A guy in Missouri had one and he contacted me. He donated this beautiful young female to my husband to be his next Service Dog. We made the over 800 mile drive to pick her up this past weekend and we were very surprised when the former owner told us that he didnt have much time to work with her due to his work. (he is an EMT) She is very sweet and her parents are both AKC registered, he even went as far as to give us the paper work to register her with AKC. She comes from the McNeese White German Shepherds from I think Stanford Missouri. We are calling her Gypsy but her registered name is Acelyn's Twilight Rose. How well do white German Shepherds work as Service Dogs? Are there any things that we should be watching for with her?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Tia Star, Sep 27 10:30 pm

Food & Nutrition > Zignature dry dog food and Natural Balance dry dog food?

Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '15 8:50pm PST 
Right now they are on Pedigree adult and have been since January when I bought enough food, 2 pallets full, to get the pack through the winter and part of the summer. We tried other foods for a while none grain free though, each one of the others they were on over a year and didn't have much problem till they just decided they didnt like it. We have one dog on canned dog food and that is all she will eat but the others eat dry food.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SD, Jun 20 8:50 pm

Food & Nutrition > Zignature dry dog food and Natural Balance dry dog food?

Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '15 8:51pm PST 
Recently Tank and Bella have started getting really itchy to the point that Tank has chewed all the hair off his back and the base of his tail. Bella has a couple red spots on her chest near her front legs. I have seen them chewing at and licking at their paws so I figured pretty much right off that they have an allergy to something. I guessed that its got to be something in their food. I went to a local shop that sells grain free and holistic feeds. They gave us some samples of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets food Sweet Potato and Bison and some Natural Balance LID Potato and duck and Zignature LID foods Trout and Salmon , Lamb and Duck. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these foods and if so what their results were with the foods. I have to find something that will help because Tank and Bella are my husband and I's service dogs and we cant even take them out as they are so itchy that they are almost constantly scratching. I give them each 1 benadryl every other day and have bathed them in an oatmeal based shampoo.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SD, Jun 20 8:50 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Best Vests For Long Trips?
Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Tue May 19, '15 12:18pm PST 
you might look at some of the vests/ backpacks that activedogs.com have available. some of them look really good for long trips.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sam, May 30 8:18 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Non leather mobility harness

Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '14 8:57pm PST 
I dont know of a company but you might try something like a neoprene harness. My husband's SDiT has a set of backpacks that he wears that has a handle on the top of the packs but I would suggest finding the neoprene harness someone else might suggest another type of harness but I cant remember what it is.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Sep 8 8:10 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Hands off policy. No petting!

Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 5:41pm PST 
While my husband allows petting of his SDiT Tank I dont allow it when it comes to Tanks sister Belladonna. Because my husband is a disabled veteran and a minister he allows the petting but there have been times that Tank was not only petted but swamped by people wanting to pet him. I should add that if someone asks kindly like the lady that saw my husband and I in walmart a few weeks ago with the dogs. She was curious about the dogs because being in a small rural area there are not many SD's around and it is odd to see two working SDiTs and their handlers in the same area at the same time. Well this day this lady was kind enough to ask before she petted the dogs. I did allow it because Bella was being very good that day and being petted was her reward.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SD, Oct 14 5:41 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Harley

Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Fri Oct 4, '13 4:46pm PST 
Harley I sent you a paw mail with a link to a place you might be able to get some help with his vet bills. I hope it helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Oct 29 5:20 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Introduction time~! Woof woof!
Abrams Tank- SD

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 12:34pm PST 
Welcome Yoshi I'm Tank and I am a PTSD alert SDiT and I am 21 months old. I am much bigger than you at 80 pounds, and next year we hope that I can become my daddy's mobility dog as well as his PTSD dog. My sister Bella is my moms Psychiatric SDiT and she is the same age of me but she is 20 pounds less than me. We are half lab and half GSD. You can always send us each a pup pal request if you want.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Zoey, Oct 2 1:37 pm

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.