Postings by Toby

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > HUD housing and service dog question

Toby

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:17am PST 
I currently live in HUD housing and have one pet. My doctor has prescribed me a service dog.

I have talked with my landlord and was told that I could not have both dogs in my apartment, even if one was a service dog. I told her that I was under the impression that service dogs were exempt from any pet policies, however she says that she has discretion because in my lease it says only one pet per unit and landlord can modify any clauses. please help with advice on this topic. I am just confused because my therapist told me different. thanks in advance
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to service dogs....
Toby

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 9:36am PST 
Thank you for all of your advice. it is very much appreciated. I am currently going over the tasks list to give to my doctor Friday. I do have a trainer with experience in service dogs. They will help with selecting, as well as the training. Especially in public places where a trainer is required. My doctor was not much of a believer for service dogs for psychiatric reasons, but after reading up on it has decided differently.
I have looked into organizations that place dogs, however all the ones I have found train and place only labs or retrievers. I need to have a dog that doesn't have as much fur. I have met several people in a group I attend and they all have different breeds and mixes. Some of the breeds that were unexpected to me were: pitbulls, boxers and american bulldog.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Oct 3 10:24 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to service dogs....

Toby

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 1:21pm PST 
Hi, I was just prescribed a service dog for my psychiatric disability. I was given a few organizations that place service dogs, but the wait is around 3 yrs. It was also suggested that I could always get a rescue and have him/her trained. I'm still not clear on the training aspect. A friend of mine is training her own dog, with a great amount of success. When you have a service dog in training, are they allowed to be trained in public places?? I have tons of questions, I have no idea where to start. I would appreciate any advice. thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Oct 3 10:24 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.