Postings by Bella Dog - the Bog

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Jewel had a Vac. reaction.
Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:52pm PST 
I used to work for a vet that really over-vaccinated; therefore- we saw a TON of vaccine allergic dogs. I cringe thinking about it now frown just doing the basics (DHLP-Rabies-Bordetella) will help, and almost all of the vax allergic dogs were fine if we split the vaccines up on different months and gave Benedryl prior to vaccinating. Obviously, ask you vet for the correct dosage, but given an hour prior to the shot stops almost all reactions and minimizes the severe ones. Honestly, I often give my pups benedryl if they need vax now just to err on the side of caution; otherwise my white pittie gets occasional hives. Benedryl is good just to keep on hand for emergencies like sudden reactions to bee stings and such smile
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jul 24 2:19 pm

Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:44pm PST 
I used to work for a vet that really over-vaccinated; therefore- we saw a TON of vaccine allergic dogs. I cringe thinking about it now frown just doing the basics (DHLP-Rabies-Bordetella) will help, and almost all of the vax allergic dogs were fine if we split the vaccines up on different months and gave Benedryl prior to vaccinating. Obviously, ask you vet for the correct dosage, but given an hour prior to the shot stops almost all reactions and minimizes the severe ones. Honestly, I often give my pups benedryl if they need vax now just to err on the side of caution; otherwise my white pittie gets occasional hives. Benedryl is good just to keep on hand for emergencies like sudden reactions to bee stings and such smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Jul 24 2:19 pm

Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 7:42pm PST 
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jul 24 2:19 pm

Dog Health > Anyone with Feedback from Dr. Dodds Nutiscan Allergy Test???

Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 8:15am PST 
*Nutriscan, sorry* I did go back through some of the acrchives but couldn't find any good feedback. Has anyone tried the Nutriscan Saliva Food Allergy Test? How well did it work/not work? Please jump in if you have tried it!!

We are several days into the elim. trial and I can't tell if we are getting better or worse. Bella takes about a month to really "show" her allergies, and then things get REALLY bad, overnight. So, I'm not super thrilled with elim. testing but I'm running out of things to try to help her, otherwise we are in for another crazy itchy winter frown And with the cost of trying dog foods, supplements and antihistamines, $250 to find out the major allergens for your dog is really not too bad. But, I can't find ANY reviews so I'm skeptical...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chandler, Jul 18 4:34 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > homecooking and teeth health

Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 6:27am PST 
Have you tried a large compressed rawhide? Compressed rawhides are totally different from regular rawhides, the dog has to really chew on them because they don't break off like normal rawhides (they are thin layers compressed together, really hard). We can give them to all of our big dogs with no problem, but we have to take them away from our overgrown pittie when they get down to the end, he will try to swallow the end whole. These do a great job of cleaning our dogs teeth and freshening breath, plus provide mental stimulation. Also, SuperTargets carry large packs for $9, a real steal. It's the only bone I could recommend to people when I worked at the vet's office and they HAD to have a chewing option. Obviously, every dog is different and ALL should be watched carefully when they have a bone. We did routine dental cleanings all of the time, and they aren't very dangerous, but it seems like once you start them, the dog needs them again and again and again, which sucks!!
It sounds like your dog also has a terrier-like obsession when faced with a bone! Maybe work on leave-it with treats to dial down that obsessive behavior, too smile Pup can ONLY have bone when calm and submissive wink
I did also meet a dedicated lady who adopted a puppy mill breeder dog from a rescue in TERRIBLE shape. He had multiple issues, blindness, arthritis, and his teeth were CAKED in nastiness the worst I have even seen - they were BLACK. We told her that it was a risk but the little guy would HAVE to have a dental on his bacterial-riddled mouth. She agreed. He went home to build his strength/weight up, and new owner faithfully cleaned his teeth every night with doggy toothpaste and a nubbly washcloth over her finger. When the pup came in for boosters, his teeth were almost perfectly clean! Two months of regular good scrubbing and they were perfect! He never needed the dental! So, it can be done. Like you, I'm not a fan of sedation, if it is avoidable. My own lab's heart rate got REALLY low during sedation (38 bpm - she was very relaxed that day to begin with) and it was REALLY scary. Not doing it again. Period. Even if it is a very safe procedure.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hazel, Sep 16 10:11 am

Food & Nutrition > Food Suggestions & Questions
Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 2:56pm PST 
You sound like you are in the same boat I am! We are still working (five years in the process) to find the perfect food or our dog. We're definitely getting closer! It's extra annoying when your vet acts like it's no big deal - it is when you and your dog live with it!! Is there an antihistamine that works well for your dog? There are quite a few available and each dog reacts well to different ones. So I'd ask your vet if you could try a few!

I think, to find the perfect food, you either have to do an elimination diet and make something yourself (we just started one, Bella already smells better, is less itchy and is not shedding like crazy! YAY!) or find a protein source your dog does well with, like duck, venison, etc, and try a few foods with that protein source and different ingredients. Pinning allergies down is a pain in the tail, but really worth it. We went home cooked and it's really looking good so far! The raw food forum is good, too. The biggest mistake I made for years was trying this food and that food and finding, in the end, the ingredients are too different to "pin" anything down for sure. Just my two cents! It is pretty scary when you start reading about all the stuff that can be in even the good dog foods - it makes me realize that I may never be able to put Bella back on kibble, if she is allergic to some kind of preservative or something "funky" in the creation process. After working in a vet's offce for several years, I realized that we saw a TON of allergies in dogs. 3-4 appts per day in a small practice. It makes me think it is something new we are doing to our dogs, kibble being the easiest common factor. I saw first hand a dog who had eaten a very low quality food - which tested the highest for containing euthanasia material in tests from containing parts of euthanized animals) when she came in to be put down (she was old ad senile). Insanely, it took FOUR TIMES the expected dose of euthanasia to stop her heart!!! She had actually become immune to it, likely via her food!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 24 5:22 am

Dog Health > My Rottweiler tail...vet says I should remove it????

Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 10:31am PST 
WOW! I think, if I were you, I would start looking for a new vet! This particular vet sounds very uninformed. Docking is very painful and a serious surgery. Typically it is only done later in life if the dog has a bad "happy tail" and wags so much they acquire a wound that keeps being re-injured when the tail wags. I would be very concerned about medical advice from a person who claims that a tail might interfere with balance - that's an old wives' tale! I'd be very concerned that he doesn't stay current on medical information and perhaps does not have your best interests in mind. Removing a tail is no small thing! Bravo to you for questioning things!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bella Dog - the Bog, Jul 17 10:31 am

Dog Health > Dog licked her paws raw! Helllp

Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 10:17am PST 
Allergies can be so terribly frustrating! Bella has had them since she turned a year and it's been quite a journey, but she's still pretty darn good now for an allergy dog. We are still working our way toward a great solution 5 years later! I learned a great deal working in a vet's office, and learned that vet protocol for allergies can leave a LOT to be desired. It's not their fault, it's just a frustrating issue.

Every dog is different, and like people, each dog responds differently to different allergy meds. Most are OTC and you have to try them for at least a week, but Bella only responds to Clemastine (generic of Tavist) and the rest (chloropheniramine, claritin, hydroxizine, Allegra, benedryl, etc) don't even TOUCH her allergies. Obviously, check with your vet first. You may have to try several different drugs. Unless things get really bad, avoid steroids like prednisone! Vets tend to pull them out quickly but they are pretty unhealthy and have NASTY side effects like frequent urination/reverse in housebreaking/weight gain.

Bella does have food allergies, and if I could do it all over again, I would have done an elimination diet from the get-go to figure out what in the heck my dog is allergic to. We are 4 days into an elimination diet now and I am already impressed with the results. I'm not a fan of vet rx hypoallergenic food as it is expensive and honestly, I didn't see it work for many dogs. It made Bella way worse. We have tried a dozen dog foods and boy is switching foods a pain in the butt!! It gets really expensive, too, plus most foods make Bella MISERABLE. Also, switching foods makes it REALLY hard to figure out WHAT in the food the dog is allergic to. A food without corn/wheat/soy is a good place to start if you decide to go with a commercial diet.

It sounds like your dog has a yeast infection in between her toes, possibly, so a soft e-collar is a really good idea. You have to get those toes clean and drying out, and your pup probably won't do that on her own. If she licks herself raw, go to the vet and get antibiotics!! Chewing/licking issues CAN become serious when infection comes into play!! If you can, wipe her feet after she comes back inside, as many dogs are allergic to grass. But, above all, don't get too discouraged! There are so many options and things to try now with drugs/diets (obviously, do your homework and research things well) that I don't doubt you WILL find some kind of resolution! You are in the beginning, and it's hardest then, plus, it's such a frustrating problem for vets, they tend to be easily discouraged and can make you feel that way, too!! frown Hugs for luck!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 17 10:49 am

Food & Nutrition > Any feeding help appreciated!! HELP PLEASE!!

Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 7:57am PST 
We did try sprays for a while, too. Bella's lab haircoat makes it darn near impossible to get anything down onto her skin, it just sits on top, even if I try roughing the hair in the opposite direction while spraying - we did it for a year. I'd have to shave her down to get something onto her skin and I'm worried that would make it worse. The winter dry coat almost seems to me more extreme dryness, like she is not correctly harvesting the nutrients that she is getting, so I'm going to try to address that, too. Anyone know of a good doggie multivitamin with chelated, easy-to-absorb vitamins and minerals that's not too pricey?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ridge, Jul 14 11:11 am

Food & Nutrition > Any feeding help appreciated!! HELP PLEASE!!
Bella Dog - the Bog

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 7:49am PST 
Oh my goodness, so much help!!! Thank you everyone!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! The advice is super helpful as well as just knowing that we aren't the only ones. Having been a vet tech, I know Bella is much better than a lot of dogs, but it is so difficult when we can hardly pet her in the winter because she goes nuts. We will perservere!

After all of this helpful advice, I am starting her on an elimination diet of brown rice and ground beef (plus a multi and the proper amount of calcium to balance her meat intake.) This will be all she gets for 8 weeks (provided she doesn't worsen, if she does I'll try a different protein source and carb source) and then I will slowly try different proteins and fruits/veggies, and hopefully coconut oil, too. She seems to do best on red meats, I think that she has reacted in the past to chicken/turkey/fish the worst. I'm hoping I can pin the food allergies down enough to get her on a good dehydrated or kibble commercial diet; thank you for all of the wonderful food suggestions, btw, there are several I heven't heard before and will look into - especially the one without carrots! smile smile

I look back at how little the vets I worked with knew about nutrition- it's sad frown We saw SO MANY allergy pets, it has got to be something we expose our pets to, either a food or a substance. We even euthanized a few animals without trying elimination diets because their allergies were so severe and if the prescription diets/drugs didn't work, vets were out of options. Not the fault of the vets, just a lack of knowledge. I'm not a fan of allergy testing at all. Anyone with allergies knows that once your body becomes reactive to one thing, it can begin to react to all kinds of things you aren't normally allergic to. I can remember dogs with allergy testing that were allergic to EVERYTHING, by their reports. Hopefully I can figure out what Bella is allergic to and find a food that gives her happy skin. I dream of the day she has a wonderful thick, shiny, good-smelling coat like she did as a pup! I consider contact allergies, also, so I'll look at those, and I'll try one or two of these shampoo suggestions. We have an OTC oatmeal shampoo, but honestly, I don't bathe her in the winter at all. I can't. When I do, her skin goes absolutely BALLISTIC! I'll keep you guys posted on how the elimination diet goes! At least Bella LOVES the ground beef and rice - SLURP!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ridge, Jul 14 11:11 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.