GO!

Choosing the Right Dog > Which way to go?

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 1:01pm PST 
Sanka if you go with a foster based group you can ask if they've ever had the dog off-leash. Jettsen & Chloe are the first fosters I've ever taken off-leash but others might live in areas with dog parks which would give them an idea of how they would do. If a dog doesn't listen in a fenced area they aren't going to listen in an unfenced area!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by holly, Dec 22 5:43 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Which way to go?
Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 6:45am PST 
Sanka I'll send you Jettsen, he's great off-leash!! wave
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by holly, Dec 22 5:43 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Issues I may run into with a tripod SD?

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 2:19pm PST 
Since you've decided to use Maddox I would just suggest not to focus on getting him to do unimportant obedience behaviours over & over. My foster Jettsen is missing a hind leg so my trainer says when working "heel" with him not to ask him to sit everytime I stop because getting up puts stress on that one remaining leg and as long as he stops by my side isn't important.

Good luck! wave
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 8:08 am

Behavior & Training > Socializing an Adult Dog

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:58am PST 
About a month and a half ago I took on Jettsen as my foster, he's a rez dog. He might have been someone's dog at one time but for the most part rez dogs run about. People walking towards him on the street scared him, if they were in a group, were noisy or had something in their hand just forget about it!! He was also interested in cars, I think it's possible that's how he broke his leg was chasing a car.

So I never walk him without treats. See a person/car get a treat! Still see them? They're getting closer? More treats! Treats treats! It didn't take long that he would see something "scary" and look at me for his treat. Then I started asking for something, a touch or a sit before the treat. I'm proud to say that this morning Jettsen managed his first walk with NO treats! I had to talk him past a couple cars but it was a huge breakthrough for him. I'll still carry treats because I don't expect him to be "cured" but I see a time for him 6 or 8 months down the road where his new family would be able to walk him without treats.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 20 8:03 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 6:28am PST 
Jettsen loves the snow!! He can grab a mouthful of snow while running around the yard so he never has to stop playing to go inside for a drink of water. Snow is awesome people. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 8807 posts. Last posting by Beanster, CD, RN, CGC, Today 12:17 am

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 2:10pm PST 
New Jettsen pictures on his page!
[notify]
» There has since been 8915 posts. Last posting by Beanster, CD, RN, CGC, Today 12:17 am

Behavior & Training > 3-legged dog on a leash

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 2:10pm PST 
This is my foster dog Jettsen, obviously he only has three legs. I'm trying to decided what to do with him on a leash. thinking

He needs walks, he needs it both physically & mentally as I'm working on his fears as well. Cars & strangers being the main two.

He pulls but I feel like he's pulling because a faster pace is easier for him. When he runs in the yard there's like no limp. When he walks it's a bouncing movement.

He also weaves back and forth, which I believe is him trying to not pull and still have more movement in less space making it easier on him.

I feel like the pulling & weaving are going to make him look less appealing to a new home but at the same time I don't know if I want to slow him down even more which would just make walking harder for him.

I did try putting him at my side and walking slowly to see if he got it. He'd stand until he felt the end of leash, bounce up just past me, wait for the end of the leash again & bounce up past me ect.

Anyone have any ideas? Or is this something I should just leave alone, a quirk of his condition.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 15 2:10 am

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 9:49am PST 
wave

Made Jettsen a profile since he's going to be here awhile. Plus I had a nice picture of him in the yard when it was snowing yesterday morning.
[notify]
» There has since been 9356 posts. Last posting by Beanster, CD, RN, CGC, Today 12:17 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.