GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > Can't figure out a better forum to put this: Mamma Dog
Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 4:00pm PST 
Riku was surrogate Mother to all new pups, small animals, and human children. Very gentle, affectionate, and protective. I think it's just in certain dogs' natures to be nurturing. There's a picture of her on her profile giving the ferret I had as a teenager a bath. Too cute!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 6:19 am

Behavior & Training > Is this an unhealthy attachment?
Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 10:29am PST 
I pretty much agree with Sabi. I was Riku's world, and there was no changing that.

It couldn't hurt to try and get the BF more involved, but it sounds like Dexter might just be a "one person dog".
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 30 11:28 am

Behavior & Training > Telepathy between dogs and humans

Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 5:18am PST 
I wouldn't have an open mind about this if I hadn't had that experience. Riku would let my FAMILY know I was coming home, not the other way around.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jun 8 11:40 am

Behavior & Training > Telepathy between dogs and humans

Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 2:19pm PST 
I don't know guys... I think there's something to it.

When Riku was still with me, I often had to leave her for weeks at a time when I would stay with my fiance (I was still living at home with my Mom), and I never came back after any set time frame. They said the entire day I was coming home - no matter what day - she KNEW. She would wait in the window, whining softly. Sometimes I would be away for three weeks. Sometimes only one. It was a five hour drive back home, and they said from the moment she woke up she knew, somehow, I was coming home that day. The rest of the days, she acted normal. And I often never called or told my Mom when I'd be there.

How could she possibly have known something like that? She would act that way before I'd even left - just on the day I was going to return. Pretty bizarre!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jun 8 11:40 am

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?

Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 3:19am PST 
Everyone was afraid of Riku, except other German Shepherd owners. That is not an exaggeration either. I had Riku for many years and cured her of her reactivity of other dogs, her skittishness around children, etc. But even in the last years of her life people were afraid of her. We got the usual comments, "That looks like an attack dog!" "Does he bite!?" "Look at that mean dog!" (While she was walking obediently on lead and not looking at them...). I would normally tell people that she is not aggressive, and they would relax, but many people have a potent fear of GSDs that is not calmed no matter what you say! Really, when people are afraid of dogs or a certain breed, I usually resign to the fact that my dog isn't going to cure them.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 11:43 am

Behavior & Training > Hyperactive GSD
Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 1:45pm PST 
Oh Man... Riku could walk for HOURS..... Hours and hours and it did nothing... And she was still doing it at 10 years old. Miles and miles of walking and off leash running every day.

I think tiring her out is critical, and more training using the ball as a reward is going to do the trick, I believe. Because when a dog is working their mind as well as their body, it tires them out much more efficiently.
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

Behavior & Training > returning to breeder

Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 3:28pm PST 
Great observation, Bunny! laugh out loud Thanks for telling us.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 7:37 pm

Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 2:39pm PST 
Same with me, Toto.. Riku had a horrendous life for the first few years.. All she had known was abuse, neglect, and an overcrowded backyard with MANY neglected GSDs. She was the runt, and was bullied/attacked on a daily basis. This was all information collected from the owner when they seized the dogs. Her Mother was in the kennel opposite from her when I first saw her, and both of them were nearly dead. I can barely even imagine the conditions they lived in..

But she obviously became the most incredible dog I've ever had (read her story on my page!). Confident, protective when the situation warranted it, flawless off lead, wonderful with small animals and children, and became fearless in life. She nurtured my sister's son, was great with other dogs, and was fiercely affectionate with my ferret. How could that have even been possible when the first few YEARS of her life were nothing but torment? It's possible because dogs are NOT ruined by past experiences.

Tiller - That was a wonderful little story/video..

Trigger - amazing posts (as usual).

But I think we can all decide at this point that despite the amount of experiences, statistics, and proof we have all provided, the OP is going to continue to ignore all of it and continue to not only believe, but teach falsehoods to others.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 7:37 pm

Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 1:39pm PST 
Tonka, I think all many of us are confused about is why someone who teaches a class for reactive dogs would consider euthanizing a five month old puppy who showed no fear aggression, and had only had ONE bad experience.

"The fact that anyone is suggesting anything about the quality of work I do on a professional level makes no sense."

Actually, it makes a lot of sense, because your core beliefs concerning puppies being "ruined" by traumatic experiences are false. Your choices regarding what you did with your own puppy contradict the work you claim to do.

It's like a veterinarian getting rid of a dog because it has a significant, but HIGHLY treatable illness. It's just an enormous contradiction.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 7:37 pm

Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 3:17am PST 
It's all right, Tonka. I apologize as well for calling you a troll. That was going a little too far. I think we can all agree to disagree and move past it. I wish you luck with your new dog/puppy when you decide to move forward. At least we all know one thing : We're ALL passionate about dogs here to be bickering as we do!

hug
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 7:37 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.