Postings by Bear and Bandit

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > SD laws NC?

Bear and- Bandit

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 8:27am PST 
Thanks for the responses, everyone! We just moved to Swansboro, NC, outside of Camp Lejeune. Where are you al from?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mali, Nov 1 2:19 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > SD laws NC?
Bear and- Bandit

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 6:30pm PST 
Does anybody know about registering a SD with the state/towns in NC? We just moved here from Cali (Bandit was registered there) and when I went to animal control, they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Does anybody have any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mali, Nov 1 2:19 pm

Dog Health > Possible Vision issue? What are your thoughts?

Bear and- Bandit

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 1:22pm PST 
Before I start this post I want to mention that she already has an appointment with a Vet to be checked out. However, I am very curious to what other people might have to say.

We adopted Bliss on her last day in a high kill shelter on Tuesday. She is about 2-3 years old and is a spaniel/chow mix. She was an owner surrender because he said she was "aggressive." The shelter staff found: multiple abrasions, bruising consistant of an attack, multiple puncture wounds, a tear in her ear, a broken tooth, and many cuts that had to be stiched up. All of these injuries were fresh and it's safe to say the only aggressive one was her former owner. She is also under weight and she was extreamly matted. Clearly she was abused and neglected. However, she is the sweetest little girl ever and wants to kiss you at every chance she gets. She seems to love our other two dogs and follows them around the house all day. However we have noticed some things that make us think that she might have issues with her vision:
-she has bumped into several things in low light at night but doesn't during the day
-if she is laying down at night in a low lit room and one of our other dogs walk by she will let out a growl. If we get up and turn on the light, she gets up, tail wagging, and goes over and lays next to them.
- when on walks at night, she literally has to be body on body with one of our other dogs. If they stop to snif something she paces around as if to try and find them, and when she does she is fine. During this time, she will bump into things.

My husband thinks that maybe she is scared of the dark as she could have associated the abuse with pain, or she might have a vision issue and is scared. Either way she will be getting looked at, but we wanted to know what everyone thinks!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lola, Jul 12 2:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Training my own service dog?

Bear and- Bandit

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 1:09pm PST 
I'm new to this so please forgive me if anything I say is wrong. It is my impression that like the post above me, you need to get a doctor’s note/prescription for a service dog which basically states that you have a disability that would benefit from having a dog. What year are you in school? Owning/handling/training a service dog is not an easy task and is not as simple as owning a "pet dog" (is that even simple?!). Unless you have a fully trained dog from an organization, I would suggest that you think about waiting until you are done with school to start the process of training. I'm saying this from personal experience as the idea was in my head when I was a sophomore in college, and now, 3 years later, I am in the process of training. Where do you go to school in NC? We are moving from Cali to NC this month smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Nova, Jul 3 6:43 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to the page!

Bear and- Bandit

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 11:00am PST 
Thank you both for the welcome smile! I'd love to meet another hearing team. I know of two other teams in my area and they are both psychiatric service dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by ~Missy~SD~CGN, Jul 3 9:48 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to the page!
Bear and- Bandit

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 10:12am PST 
Hi everyone! I've been looking at posts for a while now and I decided to finally jump in and make a page smile I have three rescue dogs, Bear (1), Bandit (1), and Bay (10)who is our newest edition. Bear and Bandit both passed their CGC recently (Bear in April, Bandit in June), and I started training them to alert me to sounds in January. I am deaf and have been since I was 5 years old. As I've gotten older, I've found that I've started struggling more and I'm missing sounds more and more like a door bell, alarm, and other sounds similar. My audiologist brought up the idea of a service dog when I started talking to her about my fear of starting a family and not being able to hear when my baby cries. I have no idea why I hadn't thought of it before since I have been involved in training, obedience work, agility work, and showing dogs since I was 9! So here we are now in the middle of training my guys to make life a bit easier for me smile I'm glad I found this forum!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by ~Missy~SD~CGN, Jul 3 9:48 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.