» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 5:59 am

Behavior & Training > Dog Park Pet Peeves
Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:52am PST 
I love the squirrel idea laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , May 31 8:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Me knows it's called something....

Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 7:46pm PST 
I don't know what they call it, but Kale had a habit of going straight from Sit to Shake. So when I tried to do Sit then Lay Down, he was left there with his paw hanging. So rude of me laugh out loud

But he caught on to Sit then Lay Down soon enough.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 22 7:12 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Hoping it was sarcastic - headdesk

Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 5:44pm PST 
It wasn't sarcastic and he launched into a big lecture. The comparison to Vick was vile and I told him so. But for crying out loud, animals in the wild kill each other all the time. We eat meat. ARRGH. I'm not going to be upset about the fact the dogs caught birds on the ground or in bushes (that were probably already injured, if they didn't get away) and like to play with turtles when they find one.

Eesh.

The more I thought about it, the angrier it made me, but I've vented and am calming down now.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 5:44 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Hoping it was sarcastic - headdesk

Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 12:15pm PST 
I commented elsewhere online about recent issues with containing the dogs when they see prey, and mentioned their kills and near misses. I guess it seemed like I was enjoying the situation to someone who messaged me asking how hypocritical it is for me to condemn Vick while at the same time posting about the dogs killing other critters.

What?

Yes, I did think it was ironic that someone complimented how beautiful the dogs are when one of them had bird legs hanging out of her mouth... But I'm not encouraging the chase, I'm trying to contain them, but it was an awkwardly funny situation.

Big difference between dogs being dogs with natural instincts, and people being animals like Vick (and that's an insult to animals).

Am I crazy here?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 5:44 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Leash Law in Indiana?
Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 2:16pm PST 
I don't have any advice other than to say AARRGGHH! I hate irresponsible dog owners, especially ones that let huskies off-leash.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 26 2:55 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > What does YOUR dog get mistaken for that makes you wanna Laugh?...

Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 12:40pm PST 
We get asked if Kale is a wolf by younger children all the time. It's cute.

For some reason, people assume Ace is male, even without knowing her name. Is tan just a "guy" kind of color or something? It wasn't long before I replaced her blue collar with a pink one.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:47 pm

Dog Health > Heat and humidity

Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 1:34pm PST 
They do get some water on walks, just not a lot. I'm thinking if we start out going through the sprinklers, and stop at the lake they can wade in, and the drinking fountain, they'll be OK. We're out for about an hour and a half in the morning.

And if I plan for the sprinklers, that gets me out the door earlier.

If they weren't so squirrel crazy, I could walk more through more heavily shaded areas. But shade means trees which means squirrels. When I have both dogs, that can get crazy.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jul 6 1:23 pm

Behavior & Training > i Broke my collar to run free! (rant)

Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 1:09pm PST 
Happy the situation was resolved quickly and without incident.

My daughter moved in with Kale a week before Christmas. Christmas morning, I was walking the dogs before she woke up. Then SQUIRREL!!! happened and Kale's collar broke when he lunged for it.

This is when I learned "good boy" Kale doesn't come when called. And I didn't have my cell phone in my pocket to call home for help.

I ran after him, with Ace still on her leash, for MILES. It was raining, it was muddy. I tried to wave down cars when on the street. When I was near houses, I was yelling for help. But most of our run was along draining ditches around the area, slipping and sliding in mud.

I finally caught up with him and made a long walk covered in mud back home. I guess I have a good healthy heart - if I didn't, I probably would've given myself a heart attack on that wild run (I walk, I don't run, I hate running, have never been a runner in my life!)

So I didn't have to wake my daughter up Christmas morning and tell my daughter I'd lost her dog. Phew.

So long story short, I can really sympathize with needing help and not getting it.

Now both dogs have buckled collars to attach to their leashes, with their tags with our phone numbers on a different collar. They're both chipped, but if anyone finds them loose, it's so much easier to check tags than find a vet to read the chip.

To this day, I walk with a leash around my waist that Kale's leash is attached to. Paranoid much? Used to be both dogs, but knowing Ace better now, she would be easier to catch - she's more likely to stop to play with the first dog she sees - which would be Kale smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 9:26 am

Dog Health > Heat and humidity
Kale

Good Boy

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 7:53am PST 
We have a couple of man-made lakes in our neighborhood. The one we always walk by is bricked on all sides, no "shoreline" so to speak. Today I noticed the other one does have an area not brick walled.

Kale walked right in up to top of legs/bottom of belly. Seemed much happier the rest of the walk.

Ace has already taken to periodically rolling in wet grass on walks, and she also tends to walk along shaded walls/fences because it's prime gecko hunt territory, so I wasn't as worried about her.

Plus if I leave early enough, our sprinklers are on in the front yard and they can get a cooling spray right out the door.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 6 1:23 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.