Postings by Jerry

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > How do you handle curious strangers in public?

Jerry

Super Jerry the- Diabetic Alert- Dog

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:25am PST 
I really think that having any sort of SD that isn't a "typical" SD breed really grabs people's attention. Jerry's sometimes looks like a fluffy white bear and it's really hard for people to resist loving on him. I field a lot of questions and do a lot of education that just because he isn't a pure-bred golden, lab or german shepherd, doesn't mean that he isn't great at his job and has a wonderful personality flowers
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Reno, Feb 26 12:03 pm

Jerry

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 3:15pm PST 
Thank you so much guys! I took a look at that Please Don't Pet Me website and it looks really interesting. I've been thinking of making up business cards and typing a quick FAQ thing up, but it would be great to find a ready made one.

I really do try to be an ambassador as well, and I want Jerry and I both to be a good example of a SD team. I don't live in a large city and I meet a lot of people in my job, so snapping at someone or saying something too sassy is kind of out of the question (as good as it would feel sometimes!!!).

It's nice to know that there are others out there who feel just as annoyed about this issue!laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Reno, Feb 26 12:03 pm

Jerry

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 7:38pm PST 
Hello all! I've had my medical alert SD for about a year now and am still trying to figure out a polite phrase or way to not have to explain the how's and why's of Jerry's job to every person that see's fit to ask when we're out and about. I want to be a responsible SD handler and educate the public, but at the same time, sometimes I just want to get a gallon of milk from the grocery store! I don't always have time or the energy to stand there and explain the difference between a therapy vs service dog is, why they can't touch him, etc.

I feel that most people are genuinely curious and thankfully no one has been rude, but it does get frustrating. Any suggestions about polite ways to handle this would be appreciated!dog:
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Reno, Feb 26 12:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > new to SD's - lots of questions (college, training, invisible disibilities)

Jerry

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 5:50pm PST 
First of all, congratulations about doing research before you get an SD! I think people are voicing some legitimate concerns and just trying to get you to think of all the different aspects of having an SD.

I have had my SD for about 8 months now and I attend college in Illinois. I got him my the summer between my 1st and 2nd year of graduate school, pretty far into my school experience. College can be pretty overwhelming for anyone, but let me tell you, being a first time SD handler in college is pretty intense. I have a very tall, muscular labradoodle whose big, white and fluffy. I get stopped, gawked at and "aaaaawwww! Look at that puppy!" all the time. I'm STILL learning how to deal with the public!
I'm a really outgoing person, I'm not afraid of public speaking and I work in healthcare so I didn't think that I would be so overwhelmed. BUT I TOTALLY WAS!!! I would say the first month was the hardest, but it really is an evolving process. Especially if you have a invisible disability, people want to know why you have a SD and whats "wrong" with you.

Another way to think of it is, it's kind of like being told about how much work having a newborn is, but you don't actually KNOW until you do it. Or like having and training a horse, like you've had. I grew up on a farm and trained my own dogs, but I wasn't as ready as I thought I was when I got my 2 yr old, completely trained SD. I'm so glad that I was able to just work on my skills as a SD handler in public and Jerry's and mine emotional bond, vs. all of that PLUS training.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 29 11:03 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Let's have a fun topic!

Jerry

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 1:25pm PST 
Jerry alerts me when my blood sugars are going low on walks by suddenly getting in front of me and putting both paws on my chest. He was trained to alert me to low blood and high blood sugars at home and out in the community. Its hard to get Diabetic Alert Dogs (DAD's) to transition from alerting in a closed indoor environment to alerting when they're outside surrounded by so many distractions (squirrels, other dogs, etc., but he just naturally started doing it. So proud of him!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jerry, Jul 10 1:25 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.