Postings by Vinny

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Lunging and Barking At Bikers
Vinny

I chew paper- towel rolls!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 10:48am PST 
I have the same problem with my dog and again its only on leash. I cant have him off leash anymore but when I did he was great with everyone and anyone.

On leash, different story. Hes gotten better but still does try to lunge at cars and bikes as well. I definitely think its a fear thing specially because its when hes leashed up, almost like you said he is trying to protect you and thinks of the bike as it will hurt you.

Not sure this would work but do you have a bike or access to one? Maybe you could get him fimiliar with one by either biking with him or just showing him a bike and maybe put some cookies around it to get him used to it.

Also if it works with you do have him sit and kneel next to him I would continue with that, I know its a pain but the fact that you can get him to kind of calm down is a good sign anytime. Maybe also bring some yummy treats for him, and try to distract him with those. Whatever you find works for him, every dog with react different. Ive noticed mine needs some sort of correction whether it be leash correction or verbal (not yelling though). If I just dont correct at all he runs wild on walks and basically takes me for a walk, however when I correct him right out the door he is great.

Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 28 7:05 am

Behavior & Training > Separation Anxiety???
Vinny

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 5:58am PST 
Every morning at 6 15 I get up and walk Vin for almost an hour. It seems like every morning once he realizes we are on our way home from our walk he literally puts the breaks on and I basically have to drag him home. Its always once we get on a path he recognized leads him home. And this is like at the 45 min mark of our walk so its not like we havent been out for awhile.

Not only that but basically as soon as we get in the house he starts acting all weird, very almost nervous and kind of follows me around or sits in the up right position on his chair he sleeps on..

This only starting happening in the last couple months, and we have always let him alone during the day so this isn't new to him.

Also he does not do this on weekends so its almost like he knows as soon as were heading home from the walk that his walks done and basically im leaving for work soon so he just doesnt want to walk anywhere near our house and then does his little bit at home.

Anyone have similar issues and do you guys think this is separation anxiety or something else?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 26 5:58 am

Behavior & Training > Help with my JRT!!!

Vinny

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 11:55am PST 
Aww I hope it fits his snout! And that awesome that the middle strap comes off! They only have size 1 right now which I think will be to small but will try and if not get size 2.

Lol aww what a cutie Rexy is..I think your right about him getting used to it, maybe at first a little hesitant but Im going to greet him with the muzzle with some cookies inside it so he can hopefully get used to it. And slowly introduce his new muzzle. Like you said just the fact he will be able to breathe better I think he will prefer..and if its light he may not know the difference. This metal wire one I got is just way to hefty for my little guy.

He was iffy with the mesh muzzle at first now just like Rexy is he looks forward for me to put it on because he knows it means walkie time!

Thanks for your help, and everyone. You guys have been so helpfull im so glad I signed up here! applausesmilehailbig grindancing
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

Vinny

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 9:23am PST 
Thanks guys, I think you are correct the racing ones are not appropriate for what I need.

All said and done I am returning the wire basket one for this one:

http://www.petvalu.com/in-our-store/products/dog/baskerville -ultra-muzzle

Weighs less and looks more comfortable to use, plus he wont look like Hannibal laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

Vinny

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 8:42am PST 
This one would be ideal as there is no strap between eyes, but is it humane for walks and exercise?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Baskerville-basket-plastic-dog-m uzzle-all-sizes-1-15-/250765353332?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash =item800fe9b45a#ht_2824wt_905
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

Vinny

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 8:23am PST 
Like would this work for exercising?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Pet-Dog-Basket-Cage-Adjust able-Muzzle-Size-1-7-/280664691702?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=i tem870c770780#ht_3252wt_1172
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

Vinny

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 8:18am PST 
Okay so I went and bought this muzzle : http://www.petvalu.com/in-our-store/products/dog/supplies-and-access ories/training-and-behavior/angel-pet-leather-wire-muzz

I honestly thtink he is going to hate it, it goes between his eyes and looks heavy. Obviously I will try but I just have a feeling hes going to hate it.

Anyone know where I could get one like this: http://www.lipizzan.com/JackRussellRacingMuzzle.jpg

Preferrably in a store, Looks alot better on and obviously not as heavy being plastic and same design as the one I bought. Plus he wont look like Hannibal with it on. This is the type that is built for like racing dogs which I would assume would be just as safe for long walks and exercising on as the one I purchased
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

Vinny

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 6:56am PST 
After doing research you're totally right, basket muzzles are the only ones recommended for long periods of time! Poor guy..Im off to go get one right now! Thanks again.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

Vinny

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:24am PST 
Are you serious?? Oh my god I feel so bad now...hes been wearing this on every walk for months. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, I will go buy a proper one today. The link you posted is this what is recommended for a long nosed dog and for long periods of exercise? Poor guy just started getting use to the cone muzzle, I hope this one doesnt make him set back and struggle with it frown

edit this is the one we bought him, are you sure its no good for long periods of exercise? It says hes able to pant and drink..

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=27513 98
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

Vinny

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 6:13pm PST 
Ok a couple more questions.

He seems to pass gas quiet often and smell his own bum, is this normal? Sometimes it freaks him out but mostly just kind of does circles after what I'm guessing is him passing gas.

Also he does thing thing almost every other morning where its almost like he pretends to act sick or something. Its the starngest thing, its always after we get in from morning walks and only on weekdays when he knows we are going to work. So he just gets this look on him like he's freaked out. He also jumps up on his chair which he loves to sleep on and kind of just sits up again acting all weird...I have heard dogs can actually pretend of fake sick for attention, unsure if this is true or not but I swear he is because he does not to this ever at night and only on week days before we go to work..

Last but not least up until about maybe a month ago he would not sleep with us. I know some ppl will not agree with letting there dog in bed or on couches but we do allow it. He slept with me and my fiance everynight for 4 yrs and then all of a sudden stopped and almost acted weird when he would jump up in bed where he would try to lay down but couldn't get comfy and just ended up jumping down and he would do this throughout the night. We did get a new bed awhile ago and is quite high, I wonder if maybe he fell off it and its scared him? Over the last month he has started to sleep with us again almost every night but does still sometimes sleep on couch or his dog bed. I honestly don't care that he doesn't sleep with us as it let's us have more room and better sleep but its kind of nice having him next to us at night, makes us feel like a family smile.

Ahhh the weird isms of Vin.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Vinny, Jun 22 11:55 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.