GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Choosing the Right Dog > Purchasing 2 dobermans advice or opinion?
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 5:34pm PST 
Dog aggression in Doberman's isn't breed typical. Tiller expands on that.

Read through Tiller's posts in these two threads. She has very in-depth knowledge about Dobermans. Don't forget to remove the space in the links!

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/threa d/623649/1

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/t hread/564019
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:25 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Tiller!! Alaskan Klee Kais?
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 5:06pm PST 
Oh no! I wasn't aware.. frown Thoughts and prayers for her..

Thank you for the links Twister! I'll read into them. The first link is very informative.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:23 am

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 1:32am PST 
I guess they are even more rare than I originally thought... shock
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:23 am

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 3:28pm PST 
Hey guys! Hopefully Tiller is around and has some input. I have a friend who ... I'm not very clear on how... has a connection to someone who plans on introducing the Alaskan Klee Kai to South Korea. I don't think she is a breeder herself, but knows breeders there who hope to take on the breed.

I can only assume that the breeders are reputable, since I don't know them myself-- they title their dogs in agility and do conformation showing in South Korea.

He was looking for more info on the breed here, since Alaskan Klee Kais were created in the US (?), past the general websites we can just google. Any dog shows to attend that have AKK? Anywhere to meet and chat with an AKK breeder? Since I know they're not AKC recognized... or any information on the breed itself and maybe details on the breed's history... or any constructive comments at all would be great!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:23 am

Behavior & Training > Does your dog have a crazy pet peeve?

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 8:46pm PST 
I know Kityra has always had a strange hate for moving feet, dirty shoes, and anything related to feet. If I hop around or do some funky dance, she immediately gets into a fuss of angrily barking at my feet.

I bought a new ball for her today, and pushing it around got her all excited. So I decided to kick the ball around, and upon the first kick, she chomped down on my foot shock It actually drew quite a bit of blood, to my surprise.

Then the whole family and the dogs became sad for the rest of the day. laugh out loud I'm not sure Kityra's realized what she's done, but I'm never dancing or kicking anything in her presence again LOL. I was careless.

Anyone else's dog have a crazy pet peeve like this?

And, urr...... should I be worried? LOL
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 6:00 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 6:54pm PST 
Not to my dogs, but to poodles:

"I hate poodles, because they're vain!"

Oops, Hollywood.
[notify]
» There has since been 97 posts. Last posting by , May 5 10:07 pm

Behavior & Training > book recommendations?

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 4:17pm PST 
I have "The Other End of the Leash", and I'm halfway through it. Her take on how canine minds function is fascinating.

Any topic will do- though I'm thinking I'll prefer either training or Australian Shepherds. For around $10~15, what are the best dog-related books out there in your experience?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 17 4:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Strong-willed puppy.... need training advice

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 4:02pm PST 
Hmm I guess I've just been very lucky with my last few then. wink Kityra, my last pekingese, and pomeranian were all in all very demure and strived to obey- Kityra in particular. My last dogs must have really raised the bar for me haha

I've already started training the things you've listed. smile He's doing VERY well in those areas. It's only when correcting a behavior that he will keep coming back for more.

And thanks! I can't wait to see what kind of superdog he'll grow up to be.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 5:17 am

Behavior & Training > How to introduce a puppy to an adult dog?

Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:30pm PST 
Thanks guys- I am planning on bringing Kityra to meet the pup at the breeder's home. I agree on the opposite sex part too. She's very fond of male dogs of any age, but could care less for other females... unless they were puphood (childhood?) friends already. We're actually going to bring Kityra to meet a male Sheltie pup this Saturday, so I'm super stoked for that.

Hmmm... Nikki, I agree there are many backyard breeders who ride the Mini Aussie trend coat-tails, and spotting one of those is quite clear. But Mini Aussies DO have established breed clubs and dog shows. There are responsible people are breeding them, though for different purposes than the standard Aussie... Most that are reputably bred come from homes that are into dog sports and also aim for pet quality, and less of the overwhelming herding instinct (aiming for high-drive)

Officially, they are purebred Aussies in a smaller size. The ones called "Toy Aussies" are small mutt versions often sold in pet stores and are not a breed... mixed with Papillons, Shelties, and the like. Those "toys" are the ones you are referring to, and yes, they are indeed puppy mill and backyard breeder fodder.

But Miniature Australian Shepherds are definitely a real breed by now, except they now titled the North American Shepherd.
http://www.namascusa.com/news.htm
“The NAMASCUSA Board and the appointed AKC Committee are currently in negotiations with AKC / USASA for the AKC recognition of the Mini Aussie”
NAMASCUSA, one of the parent clubs for mini-Aussies (there is also MASCA) became the parent club for AKC registrations. The president of NAMASCUSA became the president of MASCUSA transferring over everything except the "aussie" name.

Here's actually quite a lengthy and in-depth thread discussed last year about the recognition of the Mini Aussie. smile Just putting this info out there for the uninformed, since the breed is still indeed a "developing breed", and therefore can get a little controversial (though hopefully not catty).
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/thread /704757/1
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 6:40 pm

Behavior & Training > How to introduce a puppy to an adult dog?
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 3:16pm PST 
My family is intent on adding another pup to the family- either a Sheltie or another Mini Aussie. Based on what I've read around, it's harder to introduce an adult dog into the family with another adult dog... plus quite rare to find Mini Aussies or Shelties in rescue where I live (southern California).

Kityra was also a puppy introduced to my past old dog, a female Pekingese who recently passed. We didn't even research on the how during that time, but things ended up quite well. It might be better if there are some more proper ways to do it though.

How is it done / any requirements?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 6:40 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.