Postings by Bruno

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Dog Laws & Legislation > why don't people pick up their dogs poop!!
Bruno

Always by your- side, no matter- where!

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 1:04am PST 
I'm not too bothered when people leave poo in the woods. I get it, its the woods, you can't even be sure if it was a dog. But what I hate is when people leave their dogs poo on MY property. My neighbors moved in several months ago, they walk their dog all the time, and they NEVER pick up the damn poop from walks. I get funny looks from my neighbors when I walk my dog because these people leave so much poo around. I really think about picking it all up and leaving it on their door step. Its not hard to pick it up, yeah its gross, its friggin poo! They make tons of little baggie dispensers for leashes, don't be rude as heck and leave it on my lawn. The only poo I want to pick up is my own dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Apr 19 1:16 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog rubs his head on me and my things.
Bruno

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 4:25pm PST 
ill try using a different soap and shampoo, and see if that doesnt change things. he really goes nuts with rubbing himself on the towels
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Sep 3 4:25 pm

Dog Health > Update: Neighbor poisoning dog

Bruno

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 2:21pm PST 
I'm so very sorry this happened.hug I'm glad you are moving. When that neighbor goes off the deep end and really hurts someone, everyone is going to act all surprised when they ignored signs of what appears to be extreme paranoia. I hope you have better luck in your new home.
[notify]
» There has since been -3 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Sep 3 2:21 pm

Food & Nutrition > Interesting news about Science Diet

Bruno

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 1:59pm PST 
In order for me to ever feed SD, they would need to entirely revamp the whole thing and make it closer to something like BB wilderness, Orijen, etc. My vet here pushes SD like its nobodies business. My friends mother uses the same vet, and recently I showed her some articles about cats with kidney issues and its relation to dry food since her cat has a lot of kidney issues and is on KD. She asked her vet about it, you know what the vet told her? "Cats need the dry kibble for clean teeth." ugh. My last vet didnt even try to push it on me, he knew I was very informed on dog food, and told me he thought what I was feeding was pretty good (THK at the time. He gave me one of the SD puppy packs and just looked at me and said "Well, I know you aren't going to use the food, but its free anyway and has some info on puppy care!" He was a good vet, I just wish the office wasnt so far.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Farley, Sep 21 12:12 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog rubs his head on me and my things.

Bruno

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 12:20pm PST 
Bruno has been rubbing himself on me lately. First, It started out that he would just do it to my towel after I got out of the shower. Now hes does it after I get out of the shower, of if im laying down, He'll start sniffing my hair and rubbing his head on it. Why is he doing this? Its just so darn weird!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Sep 3 4:25 pm

Food & Nutrition > The Honest Kitchen... product recommendations and if they've had any recalls?
Bruno

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 9:00pm PST 
Carter, its hard to find a high quality food without a high price. If you buy cheaper food, you tend to sacrifice quality. The only alternative I can think of would be trying to see if you could price out raw and try to get meat cheap (which was my problem since my area was difficult to come by cheap meat)

if need be, you could try looking on dogfoodadvisor to find a food you feel comfortable feeding. They even have other dehydrated foods on there too.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Carter, Jun 29 7:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw feeders, let's rant. (Keepin' it civil, of course!)

Bruno

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:52pm PST 
Farley, you'll have to ask springtimeformako on tumblr. I don't get that persons logic and was just in awe of what they posted about dogs being 'omnivores' so I shared the post. Just shocked. Because really, I couldn't take this person seriously after I read "dogs are not a subspecies of wolf, its just a fad"
After having been a bio major in college, I looked at that post and just shook my head.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lobo, Jun 27 11:33 am

Raw Food Diet > What causes wet, slimy, poop?

Bruno

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 3:28pm PST 
My first dog, whom I fed raw, occasionally would get "slimy" poop from what I was told was digested bone. Looked like a giant snot.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Presley Dillon, Jun 28 11:32 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw feeders, let's rant. (Keepin' it civil, of course!)

Bruno

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 7:42am PST 
Lurking on tumblr in the "dog food" tag, trying to say dogs are omnivores and dogs being a subspecies of wolf and raw/high protein diets are a "fad." I'll copy&paste the post. I had no words for it. I was just in awe that someone would compare a panda with a very unique/rare adaption that happened over millions of years to a dog.

"I'm really all mixed up about dog food and science isn't helping.

Right now in the Dog Lady World there is a fad, for a lack of a better word, having to do with “more meat = a better dog food”. This stems from the belief that a diet more closely mimicking the animal’s wild diet makes a healthier, more long-lived, happier dog. Brands like EVO, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Innova, etc. have formulas approaching 50% protein, 40% fat and 0% carbs.

The only problem is that this dog food movement is all about mimicking a wolfdiet. Dogs are patently not wolves. There’s a ‘fad’, too, that people are falling into, convincing themselves with mental gymnastics and poor education on the subject that dogs are “just like wolves, really” because having a wolf in the house is way cool and exotic. See: Cesar Milan, the re-emergence of the debunked dominance theory, etc. This goes so far as people referring to dogs as Canis lupis familiaris (a subspecies of wolf) rather than Canis familiaris (a species of its own).

Dogs are omnivores. This is not just an incidental name given because they happen to sometimes ingest plant matter; it’s in their makeup. Every animal including humans has a set of essential amino acids (found in proteins) that they can’t make on their own. These are required to live, and we all find it in our food.

A note before I continue:

Dogs and cats are both members of the taxonomic order Carnivora. Not all carnivores are Carnivorans, and not all Carnivorans are carnivores. Sharks are not members of this order although they eat meat, and pandas ARE members of this order, although they only eat bamboo. I mention this because the argument below gets muddled up due to confusion between the capital C ‘Carnivore’ order and the little c ‘carnivore’ diet.

A cat is a true carnivore because all of its essential amino acids are found in meat proteins. You cannot have a vegan cat. They will die. Horribly.*

A dog is an omnivore because some of its essential amino acids can be sourced from plant materials. Because of this, you CAN feed your dog a vegetarian diet. Whether you should? I don’t know. This is part of my dilemma. I’d never consider making my dog a vegetarian because, among other concerns, I just don’t know if it’s strictly healthy. What percent plant material is good for a dog?

Dogs are famous for their willingness to eat anything. Around the world feral dogs make their living in dumps and graveyards, scavenging whatever they can get their teeth on. It’s suspected now that rather than being tamed directly from wolves, domestic dogs are tame versions of these pariah dogs. This is a lot more sensible. Wild dogs exist all around the world and the wolf-> dog theory doesn’t leave any room for their appearance, and the primitive dog breeds resemble these pariah dogs more closely than they resemble wolves.

This brings me back to my dilemma.

A high protein diet is known to have ill effects upon humans and, paradoxically, cats as well. A large percentage of cats have renal problems in their old age and die of kidney failure. So what affect is that 50% protein in Innova or Blue Buffalo going to have on my dog?

In addition, although these pariah dogs might be subsisting on a huge range of foods, what is it doing to their body? Do they even live long enough due to the dangers of their feral lives for it to have an affect?

The wolf-diet fad hasn’t been around enough for us to see dogs having long-term problems with it. I couldn’t find any studies being done on it in laboratories. Dog food ratings often rank protein content (and the quality of protein sources) as their gold standard. But what is this based on? Apparently, it’s based on theory.

I spare no love in my heart for corn- or wheat-based dog foods, and I don’t think a dog’s diet should be mostly carbohydrates, either. But the massive protein content does worry me. I don’t want to slowly kill my dog by way of trying to do good. If anyone has any data to soothe my worries, I’d appreciate it.

*I did a rotation in my tech school at the SPCA. The topic of the moment there was the story of a lady bringing in her 5 cats who were blind and in misery and she couldn’t figure out why, so she was surrendering them. It turned out she had been feeding them a ‘vegan cat diet’ she had found online. They were so desperately malnourished they had to be euthanized." - springtimeformako
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Lobo, Jun 27 11:33 am

Food & Nutrition > The Honest Kitchen... product recommendations and if they've had any recalls?
Bruno

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 7:06am PST 
All their food is "human-grade" and they are FDA approved to say so, which is something I like. I used to feed Thrive, embark, and preference. All were good. Just a little expensive. I've also fed their treats and used their perfect form supplement which actually works really well and I will probably have to get some for my current pup since he hates plain pumpkin. Their customer service is pretty good, they would always get back pretty quick. Sometimes they have deals on the 10lb boxes which is nice.

My only issue with thk is that when my pup would eat it, he would have some loose poo without perfect form since its kinda high in veggies. So the fix for that was to add meat with bone in it.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Carter, Jun 29 7:38 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.