Postings by Brittany

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Brittany

I always get the- last bark.

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:24am PST 
I joined this forum when I was in seventh grade (7 years ago!) while looking for information on breed specific legislation and it ended up teaching me so much more about dogs then I was looking for. Brittany thanks you all. Before Dogster she was eating Kibbles N' Bits and my family believed hitting her was the way to train. Now she's clicker trained and eats raw. It also managed to get me into photography thanks to the people and now I've got a pet photography business. I don't comment much anymore, but I'll be watching this and will definitely join another forum if the majority of you go to it as well. I was on dogforums.com but didn't comment much and ended up making a new account here after deleting it. I hang out on the dog training subreddit a lot on reddit now... but I don't think reddit would be an approrpiate platform for what you guys are searching for.
[notify]
» There has since been 512 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Any ideas on how to shape a behavior for showing teeth or a snarl? We keep running into scary people
Brittany

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 4:14pm PST 
I think barking would probably be best since it can be heard from further away then a snarl can be seen. But if you want her to snarl I was going to say something like what Jem did, but touch the whiskers on the side of her face. She'll probably lift her lips a little bit because it annoys her and she's trying to get her whiskers away from you. After that a few times you can probably stop touching her whiskers and maybe shape her to life both sides of her lips.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 31 6:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Augie lays on his side and "swims"

Brittany

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 4:12pm PST 
My dog does something similar, but she twitches instead of swimming. She typically does it after walks and will stare at me while she does it. Then she gets up and dashes around the house in a state of zoomies.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bosley , Aug 2 10:20 pm

Behavior & Training > Reactive dog doesnt react to a specific breed?

Brittany

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 10:50pm PST 
Brittany is dog reactive and LOVES huskies and chihuahuas. She also has always been nice with puppies. I've seen her go running up to a puppy before when it hits her that it is a puppy mid charge and she will slam on the brakes, close her mouth, and sniff with hackles up only. She lets puppies get away with a LOT too. She is barely willing to growl at them, and I don't think she has ever snapped at one.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jul 15 3:19 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Are you a one breed person?

Brittany

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 6:50am PST 
I used to think I was a big dog only person, and then I got Brittany, a Jack Russell Terrier. Now I love all terriers like crazy. ABSOLUTELY ADORE THEM. Used to tell myself "huskies are pretty, but I don't actually WANT one" and then I ended up with Bello who has most of the personality of a husky, and now I know I will end up with another husky mix.

My next dog is HOPEFULLY going to be an Akita (but then I impulse adopted Bello, so who actually knows), a breed I have longed for for a couple years now. All I have learned about myself is that I might have thought I was a "one kind of dog" person, but let me own the dog I don't like, and I'll end up a fan. I also like chows now after fostering some and wouldn't mind a pit bull-ish rescue either after adopting one for my Grandpa (she was an impulse adoption too, thought she was going to be put down and convinced him to take her thankfully).

As of right now the kind of dogs I like have prey drive, it absolutely throws me for a loop when I'm walking a dog who is not willing to rip my arm off over a rabbit or squirrel. They also always question what I ask them to do and make sure there is something in it for them. You know... exactly what I do. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Hades, Jul 3 12:02 am

Behavior & Training > Jax anxiety at meal time
Brittany

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 12:27pm PST 
I think in your last post you said you have only had Jaz about two months? Has he always been anxious about meal time or is it just since adding Jaz? If it is just since she has been added then I'd definitely do what the previous poster suggested.

If he has always been this way then I'd suggest putting him in the calmest room in the house for eating. Possibly changing the material his bowl is made of. My dog has issues with drinking out of metal bowls, so we have a plastic one just for her. I think the reflection scares her. Occasionally she also hates eating out of them (depending on what she's having for supper), she'll approach it real cautiously and is ready to jump away from it in an instant. Also possibly have him eat over carpet? (or put a towel under him that you can wash) And possibly hand feeding him. Those are just a few things that I've noticed with my own dog. Watch Jax really closely and see if you can see any specific things that are causing him to worry.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Jun 20 5:48 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > You shouldn't get a _____ if ______.

Brittany

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 10:56pm PST 
Don't get a Jack Russell Terrier if...

-you aren't prepared to socialize them well
-when you are stupid and don't socialize well, you can't deal with the dog aggression (it is so much fun)
-want a dog who immediately responds to a command
-if you enjoy small animals of any kind
-if you can't appreciate a dog who is so determined to dig something out of the ground, she will use her mouth as a shovel
-a dog who thinks they can take on the world (and I have a strong suspicion she is correct)
-you do not have a sense of humor
-you want a dog with a little common sense, not the one who has to be walked back down a mountain because you are so sure she would be willing to jump off the fifteen foot cliff with you into a river
-don't have a sense of adventure
-if barking (and barking, and barking... and barking) drives you nuts
-if you enjoy structure as in "I sat down to attempt to train you this (but oh my goodness, that behavior you just did is hilarious and deserves to be clicked, and before you know it you taught her to grumble and not to spin)
[notify]
» There has since been 46 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 7 9:29 am

Behavior & Training > Ecollars : An Intelligent Discussion

Brittany

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 6:05pm PST 
I support the use of it in the case of the shelter dogs, it worked, and saved his life, and like the trainer said, he didn't have anything to lose, if he failed, well the dog was going to die anyway. And he didn't have to the time to do it through positive reinforement means.

I would be interested in more information on how he trained the dog (and I guess how others are doing it). It is hard to wrap my head around getting that kind of response out of a dog through shocking, albeit very light shocks.
[notify]
» There has since been 141 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Dec 7 10:55 pm

Dogs & Travel > Dog-sitter or Kennel?

Brittany

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 5:49pm PST 
Well, my mom and I do professional pet sitting, so I'm biased in that regard. I know Brittany has always HATED going to kennels, and depending on the kennel they go to, they don't get out much anyway (there's a local one around here, that dogs always come home exhausted because he spends so much time with them. big grin ).

Britt and Bello both stay with my friend if we have to leave them. Even my mom and I don't like staying longer with pets then we have too because we want to go home to OUR own animals. So what I would say is offer incentives to your friend to encourage her to stay longer. For my friend it was the ability to bring her dog with her.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Casey, Jun 4 1:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Is your dog stupidly loyal?
Brittany

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 4:31pm PST 
Brittany does not walking off with people that are not in our family. And she used to quit eating when I went out of town. I know one day when a friend and I went to PetSmart, I was having issues with both Britt and Bello, so I gave my friend Brittany. She tried to walk her away. Brittany slipped out of her collar and came running back.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Princesse Lily CGN, Aug 31 5:53 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.