Postings by Betsy

GO!

Plott Hound > How do I keep my Plott hound rescue happy?

Betsy

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 3:45pm PST 
I wonder if either of you have resolved your Plott hound issues. I hope so. I rescued/adopted Betsy, a Plott, 5 years ago and no idea what she was. I suspected some type of hunting dog (the way she chased/caught/ate squirrels, and went after possums and raccoons was a decent clue.) She was soooo sweet. But she displayed a problematic dog aggression issue, threatening to kill one of my others. I suspect her ability to kill may be why she was at the pound.
I considered putting her down for this aggression (I didn't want to pass it on to unsuspecting adopters), but she is very smart and so eager to please, and I was somehow able to convince her to stop.
Here's how I stopped the aggression: I worked with her on the word "Stop" and "Halt" (which seems easier to shout when I'm in a panic.) Then, when she fought one of my other dogs, I kept yelling that along with her name. It worked. Then I put her in isolation for a half-hour and she knew she had displeased me. (I also know her triggers and watch for her ears to go forward - her fight posture.) I also used these words to stop the barking.
Plotts are very sensitive, and hitting/striking or even yelling negatively will cause them to withdraw and shut down. Then you have lost the point of the lesson and spend hours/days/weeks earning their trust again. Positive reinforcement/praise is the way I can train her. She learns so fast and has made it clear she wants to please. She can be loud, but stops if I tell her, or with a touch to her body. Once I acknowledge her alarm, she settles down. She is a serious minded watch dog - the only time she is serious. Otherwise, she is a hoot and I'm so glad I kept her. She even has a Facebook page. I love this dog!
P.S. She was clearly raised with cats. She is perfectly content with my 2 cats, but will chase if they eat her food. And, she is fantastic and friendly with all people.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Betsy , May 27 3:45 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.