GO!

(Page 1 of 25: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster's closing...
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Jan 20, '14 10:43am PST 
Griffin! I have a collie SD prospect too!

I just thought I'd comment smile

You need to message Harley to get information on how to get in the group by the way.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Mar 2 9:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > panda express...help
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 12:21am PST 
I *always* carry a copy of the ADA and if your state has nice service dog laws that too. I say (always calm and considerate) "He is a service dog and by law allowed here." I then give them a print out... if they consistently challenge me I say, very nicely "If you would like we can call the police and settle this." The only problem with calling the police, however, is that they can't enforce fedarl law (ADA), only state. Fortunately my state has nice laws in place.

If you do have a "good" state I also carry a doctor's letter and my I. D. says I'm disabled (Illinois allows you to apply for a special I. D. that is barely different from a standard one). So if the police show up I can just be like "these people are jerks and here's why." The police settle it immediately and the store learns from their mistake!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 23 12:21 am

Food & Nutrition > Good canned dog food that looks "real"

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 11:44am PST 
I ordered evangers and it just looks like the 'meatloaf' form??? You know, the standard big block that looks like... well, I'm not sure what to call its appearance. I got the green can. Is the other type they offer the one that looks 'real'?

I was super sad, lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 10:10 am

Food & Nutrition > Good canned dog food that looks "real"

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 10:56pm PST 
Call me weird/snobby/silly/whatever, but I like to feed my dogs canned food that looks 'real' as a treat and I'm thinking of adding it more regularly into their diets.

Can you please tell me what good quality canned foods look 'real'? And by real looking I mean things like Merrick or beneful (I don't, nor will I feed beneful wet but it does look 'good'). So that's what I mean.

I've tried google searching individual brands for pictures but I don't really find anything all that accurate. Thanks!

Even better if they aren't all that expensive.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 10:10 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Getting another dog: shelters vs rescues?

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:19am PST 
I would get a dog that has been in a foster home for at least 3 weeks. That is typically when behavioral things start popping up (if they haven't already appeared).

Shelters can have foster programs but in my experience (albeit not too much and limited to only Chicago) their foster homes don't take them for as long; it's usually just until a spot opens up in the shelter or to put the dog elsewhere for health problems.

Rescues have dogs that will be in foster for variant amounts of time. Baby was with me for a while before someone showed interest (but I took him instead) and if you go to a good one the rescue will work with you to find the perfect dog.

Either way, you're saving a dog. Most rescues get their dogs as transfers from shelters. I bring this up because I've had people get on me for opting to rescue with my first dog, saying a shelter dog needs it more than a rescue dog; so silly considering it is likely that another shelter dog will take that pup's place! And owner surrenders to rescues would just be in a shelter anyway if the rescue didn't exist!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 2:51 pm

Behavior & Training > Need help working with foster dog
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:13am PST 
Someone with more experience will pine in I hope.

It does sound like resource guarding as well as some insecurity issues. The first thing I would do is teach a "get up" and an "off" cue. My dogs always ask before I let them on the couch (they put their head on the edge and look at me). If I want them up there I say "get up" and if I don't I just say nope. They also know off so I don't have to physically direct them as that would get old and I think it doesn't establish any boundaries or rules. They should get off the first time they hear the word.

If a dog is already on the couch and she comes up is there an issues? Like if the dog is on the couch with her? If not I would start with that, with a dog on it already and she can share it.

Second, it sounds like the connection you are trying to give the dog could possibly be feeding into the dog's insecurities and guarding issues.

I wouldn't keep the dog's crate in my room, honestly... puppy needs to understand that there will be distance from you and it's just something to accept. Do some crate games to help with crate training. It's important she is ok anywhere in her crate.

And must dog beds be left out when she's around?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 2 5:19 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Need opinions please

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 4:07pm PST 
I think "do not distract" would be a better option. Fewer words, to the point, etc.

I don't think the "I am working" part will be as necessary.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 4:07 pm

Food & Nutrition > Disney's dog food "Old Yeller"?

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 3:52pm PST 
Yea, the first ingredients are:

Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, wheat middlings, animal fat (preserved with BHA), animal digest, brewers rice
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 30 7:03 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed match for a friend

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 3:46pm PST 
Flicka, you just reminded me cattle dogs come in red, haha, thanks!

Only problem to watch for would be dog aggression.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 7:59 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed match for a friend
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 11:26pm PST 
Didn't even think of poodles, totally forgot about that nice coat on them =)

I don't think a vizsla would be good. She says she wants a suuuuper active dog, but from her activity level that I've experienced... I think she needs a jogging buddy that is able to be a general active as well (like go out to cafes, parks, etc), not a marathon buddy.

Red dobies are a nice choice.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 7:59 pm

(Page 1 of 25: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.