GO!

Puppy Place > Kinda need some advice ( dad in laws dog)

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:21am PST 
Okay this is done.... compeltely done and not I'm listing reasons this has turned into a guilt trip thing and all I wanted was advice so here comes a list.

1.The "i've been homeless before thing" I HAVE BEEN HOMELESS. I used all my options up and still had to rehome my pup (not this one for folks who are going to go "OMG SHE GAVE HER DOG AWAY" when he got sick and again no body could or would help. So to say that I should make him live in the street because I CAN'T let his dog live in my 700 sq foot apt is wrong. I get that he is going through alot but somethings you CANT do. 4 people and 4 pets are too much. Someone has to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

2. I'm 5 months pregnant. We are bout to have 4 people living in in my apt. ( me , baby , hubby and FIL.) we simply don't have the room and again FIL is too sick to ever move out. All I wanted was some resources or something to help. I never said that I wanted him to give her away I was asking for ways to get help and even tho some of you ( or all of you in this matter) have been snarky, judgmental and rude beyond repair I got it so thank you even if it was condescending. Really enjoyed that. Oh Ie the "bark collar" and stuff they tried that for YEARS and guess what she still barks for hrs on end.

3. Just because you "CAN" have something or do something doesn't mean you should. Just because legally I CAN have more than 3 doesn't mean I should have more than 3 pets ( or animals period) living in my apt. The barking isn't a matter of neighbors its Management.Its in my lease that if she barks ( for hrs like I've said) we can be fined and asked to remove her.( like I've said) Oh and baby gates with my lab don't work he jumps right over them. so the separating them if they don't get along won't work with nothing short of a door being closed at all times and I won't do that to any dog even one that will bark at everything is old.

I won't be commenting on this anymore. I don't like being ganged up on but for a min try to see this from the OP's point of view. You all keep telling to see it from his and I do but I'm having to make a tough choice to either let him bring her here or not. I get that she is helping him I understand that much I do but what am I suppose to do if I do let her back in and they ( management) says to get rid of her for the barking? then we are back here at square 1. with FIL needing a place to stay but nowhere to put the dog. I'm going to contact rescues and the humane society again ( he has been on a list for his rabbits forever) to see if they can help till we find a bigger place. ( going to need it anyway since I'm PREGNANT) but I don't think they will board a dog for long periods of time. Anyway thanks for the sugguestions No thanks for the judgemental Imahorridpersonforhavingalimmitandlookingatthebigpicture attitude It wasn't needed.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Jan 26 3:06 pm

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 9:04am PST 
thing is guys we are only allowed 3 animals in our apt complex and we have brought boarding up to my FIL and he has refused to go that route and again the barking is so bad ( she barks for hrs if she hears something outside or if someone knocks on the door) and we are strapped we don't have the funds to help FIL with a behaviorist. I know for a fact that we will be told to get rid of the dog by the complex as for this being short term we ( me and hubby ) know for a fact that it won't be. His dad's health is declining and he is bout 65ish. Everyone in the fam is oblivious to what FIL is going through and will not help him the one person who would have room for him and his dog as already said no and no one is willing to foster his dog till we ( me hubby and fil) can get to a bigger place ( which is a year maybe sooner as I'm pregnant too) This isn't a matter of me not wanting him to keep his dog. Its a matter of not being fined and ect for the barking. We have tired the following and it doesn't work with her at all. Clicker training ( all it did was make her bark more) crating her till she calms down. ( again makes the barking worse) my step mom in law had even used ( I hate these things will never use one) a shock collar to keep her ( dog is a she) from barking and none of it worked. This is a socialization issue and I don't have the know how to help her and FIL just simply doesn't want to do it. We ( me and hubby ) both want to help his dad but we can't have 4 animals in our apt. Especially one that constantly barks. For all I know she could try to come after my own pup and I cannot risk it.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Jan 26 3:06 pm

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 11:27am PST 
Well trying to find a way to say this right I mean after all we have all had tough binds with dogs in one shape of form and I need some advice.

My dad in law lost his place he has till feb to move out ( his landlord is being nice bout this.) and well he has a lot of pets. He is willing to get rid of the 4 cats, the bird, and the 5 rabbits that he has BUT he wants to keep his dog and as much as I love dogs.... I really don't want this dog in my house. We have 2 cats and my ESA lab puppy who just hit 12 months old. This is hard as his dog is a mutt ( a poodle mix maybe?) and well is severely under socialized. She barks at everything that walks in the house ( his place) and is afraid of everything outside of her bubble. My step mom in law never socalized her right and my dad in law doesn't understand that he needs to help her. It breaks my heart as I write this but I really don't want and need my lab to pick up his dogs bad habits. We live in a Apt complex and if she does this barking all the time they can ask us to make him leave >_< and since no one else in the family is willing to help him it falls on me and my hubby to find a way. I'm looking for advice for what to do or how to approuch him ( dad in law) on this. He has lost everything. His wife died last year of cancer, He lost his job ( one of them) his state benfits got cut. He needs a break but I can't have his dog here. I don't know what to do.>_
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Jan 26 3:06 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > The No-Kill Movement

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 1:51am PST 
Well not everyone from the south is like that I grew up in the south and watching all the dogs and cats roam all over and knowing everything that can and does go wrong being a stray broke my heart. As a Kid I was the kid that begged my dad to let me call rescues and such to try to help pup or kitty get off the street and have a chance at a good home and I grew into a responsible owner of 2 cats now and a loving pup. ( He has issues but I'm still keeping him)its just for everyone person from AL, TN, GA, KY, and OH that is like me you have 9 others who your right don't care. They don't get it. They see Paris Hilton with a dog or cat and want it while its young and then when its older toss it aside like trash. All I know is this needs to be fixed on both sides. There need to be more laws that make pet owners accountable so it will die down.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jan 6 9:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > The No-Kill Movement

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 4:25am PST 
We have issues with cats here too T_T recently a neighbor decided to throw his sons cat out of the house because it was spraying.... and didn't want to get it fixed. ( I mean really we have the OR neuter and spay program its NOT that hard) and had a few of his neighbors wanting for me to return the cat to him. Of course I checked the laws and stated that the cat was abandoned and since the lil guy is only 8 months old the neighbor is LUCK that I was in a giving mood and didn't try to find away for reporting him as this kitty is having to be separated from our other cat because its sick ( sinus issues taking back to vet today) and that he could get in SOOO much trouble for neglect if I truly wanted to make a fuss since they wanted it both ways ( kitty wasn't micro chipped and had no tags).
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jan 6 9:46 pm

Behavior & Training > HELP ME PLEASE! (Houstan we have a jumper)
Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 9:56am PST 
I'm looking for some advice to help teach my now 11 month old pup not to jump on me when we go to put on the leash for walks or when I come to the door. I'm five months long with a baby and I could really use the advice. we have tried EVERYTHING. from exta play time to extra walks to using cans as a rattle to the treat and sit method and to no avail he continues to jump like Sonic the Hedgehog ( a video game character) in a video game level. I'd like for methods to stay positive and away from Ceasr Millan methods as those are harsh. I've been trying the other methods and I'm at the point that I'm at your mercy on ways to help this problem go away. I understand it won't be overnight but I'd like some advice since you guys seem to give good advice. So please pretty please throw this fur mamma a bone so her baby dun drive her nuts with jumping.....please?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Dec 23 4:09 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > puppy advice

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 1:35am PST 
Going to put this in caps so no one misunderstands me. I THINK MILLAN IS FULL OF BS. Now with that being said there isn't anything wrong with what you are wanting. It might take a bit of time before pup will sleep in the bed with you without waking up and getting into trouble. Right now my 10 month old pup ( we think he is 10 months) sleeps in a crate beside my bed at night. He is allowed in the living room and stuff supervised but stays with me most of the time. He doesn't sleep with anything in his crate except one of his chew toys since he tears up his bedding at the moment and that is what our trainer told us to do. If I was you when I get the pup I'd take the lil guy to puppy classes and go from there.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Happy, Dec 13 7:16 am

Puppy Place > Kinda wanting some suggerstion

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:05pm PST 
I've got kongs and have been doing the freezing thing with pb, banannas ,apples, and a few other things that he can have that he likes along with the large ever lasting treat ball and they keep him busy for a while. I'm just worried bout him getting walks and stuff which is why I'm wanting to hire a dog walker for during the day a few times a week to take him out when I can't got with him and hubby is way too tired to walk him ( hubby has school from 8 in the am till 11pm sometimes at night.)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 10 8:05 pm

Puppy Place > Kinda wanting some suggerstion

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:43am PST 
Okay I have posted a few times before but I'm needing a bit of help, advice, and a few suggestions.

See on top of being pregnant I have a nerve disorder where the brain sends signals of unbearable pain through out the limbs of my body called Neuropathy. It makes doing things on somedays with my pup very hard, and things like walking and feedings on these bad days can be painful. I don't live alone but Hubby goes to school so most of the time he isn't home. I know a dog walker can help keep pup happy with walks and feedings but I'm open to a few more suggestions and a few nudges in the right direction from anyone in the Portland OR area on how to go bout finding a good dog walker. We are getting pup fixed next month so suggestions on doggie daycare in the happy valley Portland area would be welcome too.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 10 8:05 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.