GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Disney World
Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 1:30am PST 
Try this out: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/ Scroll down until you see the list 'Designated Break Areas for Service Animals'. My husband and I went to Disneyland here in California not long ago with Shiloh and it was awesome! I hope you have fun. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:06 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Two SDs OK?
Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 4:44pm PST 
I'm not sure how he could register either of them...? There is no registry or official certification in the United States for service dogs. I don't want to fling mud but he certainly sounds like he's pulling a fast one.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Oct 21 8:35 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Airline and your service dog experiances

Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 2:33pm PST 
I flew with American Airlines this past year and they were extremely kind and accommodating. In instances where they had empty seats with more leg room, I was allowed to move to them. Shiloh isn't that big for a GSD but it was still nice to have a little leg room when possible. I was also moved to the front of the ticketing line when one of my flights was canceled (and it was absolute mayhem mind you) so that I could have time to take her out for a potty break before my next flight.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Aug 23 11:41 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to behave around a service dog

Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 12:03pm PST 
Well at least his heart's in the right place. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 11 2:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Sporting and SDs

Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 11:59am PST 
I'm going to be taking up archery soon and I was wondering what the best option is for Shiloh. I don't necessarily need her right near me (and for safety sake with the bow I don't know if that's such a great idea) but I don't want her so far away that she couldn't do her job. Should I put her on some kind of a long lead that's hooked to me or just put her in a down stay nearby? My biggest fear is that something could go wrong on the field and she'd be injured.

In general, what's the best option for service dogs at events or gatherings where their handler will be participating? Sorry if I come off sounding like an overly concerned mama but I'm having trouble finding information on this. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 10:45 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Where did you get your vest?
Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 8:43am PST 
PetJoyOnline's Saddlebag Harness; the vest tends to slip from one side to the other but overall the quality is great.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 4:44 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Well here's another one...

Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 2:13am PST 
I'd like to know that too. I figure that if they were found out they'd either have to pay or not be allowed on board. From there I assume it could escalate to charges or a fine but I don't know how it could escalate to that, whether the staff would call the police or what.

I just got back from flying cross-country and can't count the number of people that asked where they could get a vest so they could bring their animal on for free. They don't even seem that phased when you explain to them that 'Yes, this really is a service dog and no, you can't and shouldn't fake one'. I had never heard of people doing this until I got my own SD. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 21 8:08 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > First crowded outing! How to deal with comments from children or inappropriate actions from adults?

Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 12:39am PST 
I recently had a little girl scream at me and run away. To be honest, I prefer people running in terror rather than invading my personal space. I'm not opposed to pushing peoples hands away if I catch them (especially since I carry my purse on the same side as my harness/lead) or saying 'NO!' very loudly. It may seem over the top but I really can't stand people touching me or getting too close without my permission.

Ironically before I had Shiloh I thought everyone was staring or trying to touch me but I felt very powerless. I also was a terrible people-pleaser to the point where I would literally roll-over for anyone for any reason. Now that people actually do stare and try to touch her, I have a controlled (and real) situation to practice self-protection and awareness.

I would just be really straightforward with people about what you will and will not tolerate. I know for me that was the hardest part but it gets easier every time. I've had parents practically beg for their children to pet her and it's so refreshing to just say, 'Nope!' Also, I sometimes notice people try to start conversations with me through her either by talking to her or petting her. Usually in those situations I just turn around and walk in the other direction; leaves them confused but I'd prefer they talk to me.

Sorry if I come off sounding like a grump; it's been a rough week. Haha...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 2:13 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > When a store owner doesn't speak English

Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 10:31pm PST 
Thanks Happy. I plan to report it to DOJ and I'll see about getting a translated version of the ADA business brief. I should have mentioned that I did attempt to show her my ADA law card but she couldn't/wouldn't/didn't read it. I believe her native language is Mandarin so I'll see if I can get it translated to that.

Also because of today's incident, I'm attempting to get some of the ADA laws and business briefs translated into other languages to post on a website. I'll continue to look into this as I feel this may be a big hurdle for me and other SD handlers in the future.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 10 12:25 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > When a store owner doesn't speak English
Shiloh

Queen Shmoopy

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 7:56pm PST 
There's a used bookstore that my husband frequents and today he wanted to show it to me. Upon entering the store, I was immediately told to leave by the owner in very broken English (my husband only had limited contact with her so he didn't know she didn't speak English well). We tried to explain to her that it was a service dog but she kept laughing and waving her hands, "No! No dog!" We felt we couldn't do anything but leave as she was ushering us towards the door and we didn't want it to get physical.

I thought about calling the cops but they would basically tell her the same thing and she wouldn't understand them. Is there anything else I can do in this case? Are there translations of the ADA laws I could use? I want to go back tomorrow and confront her about this because it's really bothering me but I don't know what I'd do or say.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 10 12:25 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.