Postings by Garbo

GO!

Border Collie > Fearful/Aggresive Border Collie

Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 4:30am PST 
Border Collies can be protective of their owner's "space" and are often not keen for other people and/or other dogs to come to close to their owners. My dogs went to puppy class, did Good Canine Citizen training, mix often with other dogs and people etc but Garbo did become a bit reactive when she was 1 year old. She has improved as she is moving out of her teenage stage. I make her sit or even down if she acts like you are describing and once she has obeyed and is no longer acting aggressively I tell her that she is a good dog etc. I think that she must know that she cannot flare up and that it is my job to reassure her that I am in control if it is just an ordinary interaction as you describe. One can be firm without being harsh as if the dog is acting out of fear, being harsh/ punishing will not work.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 30 2:06 pm

Dog Health > Juvenile Vaginitis
Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 12:46am PST 
Are ther any other dogs out there who have been through what I have? I was spayed at 6 months and after that have had a lot of medical problems. I apparently had juvenile vaginitis when they spayed me and, as it is not a viris it cannot be treated with antibiotics. I needed the hormones that I no longer had after being spayed to get well so now I am on human Hormon Replacement Therapy but am struggling still.cry Not easy for a young dog. It makes Mum sad!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Garbo, Jul 11 12:46 am

Puppy Place > puppy scared the life outta me!!

Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 4:20am PST 
My vet says that he sees more Border Collies for self inflicted injuries than any other breed frown Just keep an eye on your pup. Mine never ran over edges, but Garbo jumped very high trying to catch a bird flying overhead and then turned to look at me mid-leap then flipped down in a very awkward fall on her back on hard paving stones! I did have her X-rayed as she seemed very stiff a couple of days later. No long term injury but her Hamstring was strained and lots of infammation. She was on Traumeel (spelling?) for a while. Be warned, Border Collies might be smart but sometimes their over eagerness is predominant!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 30 11:52 pm

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > New members

Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 12:17am PST 
Hi, my little brother (Zack) and I are new to Dogster. We are Border Collies so we give our Mum lots to think about and laugh about and as neither of us are adult dogs yet, we keep her life full of challenges!snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, May 26 8:13 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.