GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Raw Feeding Oopsies (Too Much Bone)
Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 9:43am PST 
I forgot to mention that she has the skin and fat taken off completely as well. smile

Right now there's no form to her stools. She'll go maybe 2-3x during a 20-minute walk but 2 out of 3 times, it's just coloured mucous. I was told the overabundance of mucous was due to GIT irritation from the bone because I fed a lot of it.

I will definitely try some bone-in chicken breast later today as you suggested (without the wings) and see if that helps. smile How quickly would I expect to see change in poo to reflect the new proportions so I can gauge the following meal?

Thank you again!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 9:43 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw Feeding Oopsies (Too Much Bone)
Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 8:02am PST 
Hi everyone! We're new to raw feeding and have hit some road blocks. I really want to keep on with raw feeding -- I can see a difference in her coat and teeth already! She was shiny on kibble and now she's blindingly shimmery! big grin

Mila is 2 years old and 25 lbs (want her to lose a couple of pounds since she's getting round - my dad decided he would give her some frozen yogurt every time he ate some a few weeks ago, he's now banned from feeding her treats haha). I've been feeding her a Prey Model Diet for about 11 days now. She gets about 200g of chicken a day, split into 2 meals. (I also have a detailed feeding history available if needed.)

On about Day 6 of raw, she got some watery stools -- not really diarrhea since she was able to call me up in the middle of the night and sniff around for a spot. I ended up over correcting with bone (yikes). She initially had yellow, crumbly poo. For the next few days, she's had very mucousy, sandy/grainy stool. She would go often and the stool is mostly mucous with some of the sandy bone bits.

The sandy texture is gone now and we've slept through 2 nights in a row now. Still has mucousy loose poop but nowhere as often as before. Her appetite is still very strong even with the sandy poo.

I was recommended to feed boneless and then alternate boneless breast with leg quarters (with the drumstick deboned) for the next week. Would anyone be able to help me come up with a tentative feeding plan for the next few days/week? I'm not sure when I could start incorporating bone again (fed boneless for 3 meals now) because I've already overdone it and don't want to irritate her bowels further.

Thank you! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 9:43 am

Food & Nutrition > Fish Oil Supplements?

Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 11:49pm PST 
Thanks for those links, Maxwell! They're super helpful! I've been trying to research on this myself and it's totally confusing me and also I don't know which sources are credible! :O

Right now, she's on Wellness Super5Mix (Chicken) with either Wellness or Blue wet food as a topper (mostly the land animals and we rotate the variety quite often). I bought a bag of Halo but we've yet to try it. I also give her a scrambled egg once a week and carrots to help clean her teeth. There's also the occasional broccoli when we have them in the house, cooked as well and given at a very small amount.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 1:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > Fish Oil Supplements?

Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 9:47pm PST 
I'm thinking about adding some fish oil supplements to her diet. I've tried looking for information in the forums and to be honest, it's overwhelming me a little.

What I've gathered is that I should be feeding her 1000 mg (she is 25 lbs) of the fish oil. I've seen EPA and DHA in there as well but no further information about it. I also know I should be adding in some vitamin E when supplementing with fish oils. But how much?

Could I also feed her salmon (cooked) once a week? Would that be overkill? Or should I try the fresh salmon first before I try the supplements (and do I need to still add the vitamin E)? Also, what should I look out for when buying fresh?

I've tried asking our current vet over the phone and he is not being helpful at all. He wanted to prescribe some medicine for it but I want to try everything else before taking that route. (We are still shopping for a new vet since I'm not happy with this one. Apparently he's "the best" in this area according to other dog owners I've talked to. Maybe my standards are too high.)

If anybody could point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated! big grin Thank you!

What We've Done and Further Information:

My dog has some seriously dry skin. It's looking like someone ground chalk up and poured it all over her back. She's also got black fur so it looks especially bad. She doesn't really itch much though.

We've ruled out flea allergies and we're now trying to do some food elimination to see if any of the ingredients are causing this.

She's currently on Blue and Wellness kibble rotation. I also top it with some Blue wet food. I bought a couple of cans of their salmon and whitefish variety today, hopefully that helps a little. She usually eats the stew kind.

I do brush her every day to get her natural oils moving but all the dandruff surfaces when I do (so I gently lint roller her; she enjoys that for some odd reason). Her coat is suuuuper shiny and soft (this is what people first comment on all the time). It feels a little dusty which is probably a mix of dirt and dandruff. As far as I can tell, there are no hotspots or redness.

She was born in a tropical country and lived there for about the first year of her life. She's now in Canada. I think this has a role in the dryness as well. And now that it is summer, we have the AC on all the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 1:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Hypothetically, would your dog make a good parent?

Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 6:38pm PST 
I feel like Mila would be more of a playmate than a mom. She's still very puppy-like herself. She'll probably roll over and let the puppies use her like a jungle gym and then chase them all over. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Aug 4 9:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Training a reliable recall? Any tips?
Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 9:03pm PST 
Thanks for all the wonderful tips everybody! I've begun using them interchangeably and at random (puppy won't know what she'll get next!) to get her to come back to me. A while ago, we used her to lure all the other dogs back to their owners. I was (still am!) a proud pet parent when she was leading a Chinese Crested, a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever. So I'm incredibly excited with her improved recall! It's only been day 2!

She even got the chase a squirrel a while ago. I waited until the squirrel was far enough that she won't catch it even if she strapped a rocket to her back. big grin She came straight back after the squirrel climbed the tree. So it was a great training day for the both of us (but she didn't know that)!

@Lobo - Chase is fantastic! I tried it with her this afternoon. She deserted her doggie friends to chase ME even if I run like a sloth! I also gave her her ultimate yummy treat which is cheese when she caught up... which wasn't very hard to do. Hahaha! I think "this way" is great too! It works great when they're out rolling around with another dog that they start moving towards us. One of the other owners had that command for her pup.

@JT - Oh, that sounds terrific! Our version of that is playing tug. big grin How did you go about teaching the directional commands, if you don't mind me asking?

@Czarka - Oh yeah, that sounds great! Mine doesn't have a remote sit/down yet but we'll get there eventually! big grin That would be a great thing to incorporate in once we're at that level! My pup is very, very much environmentally stimulated to it took a while to find that one treat that's at least at the same level than all the other things in the environment (like grass, or poop that another owner didn't pick up, haha). So I tend to incorporate many rewards in one recall plus her release to take advantage of her highest value reward.

Oh my goodness! Mid-poop? Wow, that's amazing! Mine wouldn't come to me if I called her and she was looking for her perfect poo spot (I usually mistake that for her purposely going away/ignoring me). She comes right back after the poop though.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 1 12:41 pm

Behavior & Training > Ideas on how to keep him occupied and out of trouble during the hot summer.

Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 7:03pm PST 
We run around in the house like maniacs and then we play the Magic Pillows game. Basically I get the pillows from the sofa and put them into a pile on the floor. I'd hide treats in them and I "release the hound". She'll go sniffing and eating the treats and diving into the pillows. Excellent if your dog love to eat and loves to track things.

I love the Kong! Super durable (it passed the Mila test) and it provides hours of fun! I also use it for fetch. My dog isn't a fetch dog (she's a steal and destroy and tug) but she loves it when the Kong bounces erratically. Be careful though because since it bounces erratically, it may hit your dog. You can try it with Romeo but throw it low to the ground. Also for the Kong you can try giving it to him during Quiet Time in a small room or his crate so he doesn't hide it. I feed Mila her meals exclusively from her Kong too.

Mila also likes playing Hide and Seek. Have someone hang onto Romeo while you hide. Call him and when he finds you, give him lots of love and treats. Then you hang onto him while the other person hides. Start with easy hiding places first or even just a few feet from him and work up to different floor levels.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 29 7:03 pm

Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 6:52pm PST 
Her Kodiak! Thanks for all the input!

I implemented the tiring out the dog today and her recall was, I'd say 90% reliable and she was on a 30-foot leash (would call her at the 20-foot point). The other 10% error was, I'd say, was because I was too far away. I opted against the drag line in favour of a long leash just so in case there was an emergency at least I have my hand on the leash handle. There were two dogs that were playing around us as unplanned distractions and she did well to ignore them (pleasant surprise for me).

The accident was her just ignoring me calling her in favour of tracking that new dog that just passed by. It was almost like, "Hey mom! I bet you can't catch me!" mixed with "Must say hi to dog!" It wasn't fearful or aggressive in any way. Tail wagging, face relaxed with many play bows and darting in a zigzag. I agree with the leash/harness set up even if my pup wasn't at all spooked/agitated/etc as it gives me the best control and for her safety. I know there are a few reactive dogs in my neighbourhood so it's handy to be able to stop her if they pass by.

-----------

Hey JT! I think engagement is my biggest challenge right now and I think is the key to succeeding. Grass is more interesting than I am! Hahaha! I adopted your chuckit (but with tug and tag instead and added some obedience into the mix) idea and I think it just added to our success today! So thank you! I'm going to call this day, "Day 1 of Many Successful Days!" big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Aug 1 12:41 pm

Dog Health > Loose stool, following normal stool on a daily basis

Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 6:30pm PST 
Mila's a year old and eats twice a day and has the same type of stool (she always has and her bill of health is clean). It's considerably lighter and softer (but not loose) if she goes right after eating. If it's been in her system for at least a few hours it comes out dark and firm. I think you're onto something with the moisture theory. I usually walk her right after she eats so I think that's why. The only problem I see in it is that the softer stool might not express the anal glands as it should.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 8:16 am

Mila

Eat All The- Foods!

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '12 11:29pm PST 
I've been trying to work on our "off-leash" recall skills for the past week. I thought we were improving but for the past couple days, it's been a ridiculous regress. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Her recall in the house is near-perfect. Backyard is also great and even on the streets (I don't use a long line here because I don't want her getting into the road).

The problem comes when we're working in open grass no matter how large or small the grass patch is (I have tried on the pavement around that park area and she follows me like Velcro dog). If it's just me and her, she works okay. If there's another dog passing by, her brain just tells her to go meet the dog at all costs.

This is when we had our accident this afternoon. I was too slow in grabbing her drag line. I couldn't see it very well because it was black and she rocketed off. Lesson learned though, I need a longer drag in an obnoxious colour. I must admit though, I didn't have a plan when I started training her recall and I probably poisoned her recall word so I'm switching it since "Come" for the past two days means "run away as fast and far as you can".

My new plan:
- Switch her recall cue to a whistle: "pip-pip-pip-pip". (I'm planning on using a long whistle for her emergency drop.) I chose the whistle so even if I'm in a panic, it's the same sound.
- Use the Premack principle with freedom as her prize (with a drag line, of course).
- If at any time I have to go get her or "reel her in", it's game over and we go home. Am I allowed to let's say have a morning or afternoon session? Or is it better to just reattempt tomorrow if she gets a game over?
- Reinforce her every time (big party) if she checks in with me without my needing to call her.
- Once she's good with park recall without distractions, let her play with her friends with a drag line and practice recall every so often. Is this okay? Or is the drag line going to be a problem if she's interacting with other dogs? I'd like to still have this safety in case I can't call her back.
- Have lots of short distance repetitions whenever, wherever in addition to the tougher park sessions.

I forgot to add these:
- Collar grab before treating.
- Start with shorter distances first and then graduate if she gets 100% success 10 times. Start off at 20 feet (is this too large of a distance?)

If anybody can take a look at the new plan and critique it or see any problems with it or add to it, I'll be most grateful! Or if anybody has any tips that has worked for them? I'm super big on clicker training and anything positive, really. So is she! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Aug 1 12:41 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.