GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > becoming a foster home
Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:44am PST 
I currently have a chihuahua and a small cat and am looking into becoming a foster home for another Chihuahua from the rescue Miso is from.

Anything in particular I should be ready for?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 4 7:38 am

Raw Food Diet > New to raw diet and a few questions - would appreciate any advice!!!
Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:27pm PST 
We're new to raw and doing prepared from "red dog, blue kat" which is local to us. I'm not comfortable with buying meat that's not ethically sourced and with a small dog this is affordable for me.

I chose them because they include juiced veggies, bone and organs. It helps me keep it balanced. I use dehydrated liver, heart and salmon skins for treats. I've just started adding a raw chicken neck twice a week. Some of their portyeins also have a "with tripe" option.

I was also told a good rule of thumb is to feed the same protein for six weeks, and in the sixth week transition to a new one, with 3 red meat cycles for every two non-red meat ones.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 12 2:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > freeze dried raw

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 4:45pm PST 
first the blood question. Apparently the blood is drained from the meats that k9 naturals so it's a bit drier and less nutritious.

I'm going to have to look into the cost of true raw meat. I am pretty picky when it comes to the food I do feed her in terms of it being ethically sourced and if I bought meat it would have to be the same. I have never actually bought meat though so have no idea what it would cost.

I think I'd have an easier time with the organs than anything with bones in it. bones are gross. Thanks for the thoughts though.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 15 4:17 am

Behavior & Training > Please help the novice: Reactivity and more

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 11:56am PST 
One of the first walking exercises we did at obedience was loose leash walking. Basically you walk around kind of randomly changing directions where ever or when you notice your dog slightly distracted. Right before you change direction say "dexter, this way" in a firm but happy voice. When he comes with you say "yes" or "good boy" and when it's convenient give a treat, more treats at the beginning. The trainer said "one eye on your dog, one eye on everything else".

We use it all the time with cats and squirrels. When I see one, I say "miso, this way" and turn around. She's learnt that listening to me is going to be better than trying to chase. It also just gets her into the habit of paying more attention to me than anything else when we're walking. Once you bond a bit more you can work on improving her reaction in general.

She's my first dog so I totally understand how overwhelming it can be. I believe the more relaxed and prepared you are the more Dexter will feel that and start to trust you.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 1:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > freeze dried raw

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 11:32am PST 
I'd like to move my dog to raw but neither me or my house mates eats meat and I'm not really comfortable handing it at all.

I've looked at freeze dried options my local shops carry and I'm in between amore (made locally to me), ziwipeak and k9 naturals.

My main questions is what are the differences in feeding a food with blood (ziwi) or without (k9)?

Also, amore recommends to add a meaty bone each day which I do not want to do at this point. Is this standard?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 15 4:17 am

Raw Food Diet > Acidic vs. Alkaline
Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 2:46pm PST 
from what I know in humans is that when you do eat acidic foods, you need to balance it out with an alkaline one. I would assume the same would extend to dogs if working with the blood pH theory.

That said, if you feel like your dog is getting the best balance of nutrients, your vet approves and your dog is healthy, then feed him as you like.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Sep 18 6:53 am

Behavior & Training > what to do in a raining session

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 1:03pm PST 
Thanks that's a great answer!

I'm hoping to get a chance to work on "stay" at training on Saturday but not sure what is scheduled.

I think we're having problems with stay because she likes to face me and have eye contact in a sit. If I go to her side she gets up and sits to face me. I'll try to break it down more and work on that part first.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 6 1:03 pm

Behavior & Training > what to do in a raining session

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 12:40am PST 
We're halfway though our beginners obedience class and doing pretty good. I've been trying to do structured training at home, but I'm not too sure exactly what to do in a session (10-15 minutes).

Do I work on a single cue even once she has it? Multiple cues? How long to I try something with no results before switching? or do I just stop training a try again later?

For example today she was doing sit and downs really well so I switched to stay, but she wasn't doing it at all and it's still new to her. I wasn't sure how long I should keep working the stay before abandoning it for the day and working on touch (which she's not great at) or leave it (which she's pretty good at).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 6 1:03 pm

Small Dogs > What kind of chews/bones do you give your small dog?

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 1:12pm PST 
Mine gets a greenie every day when I leave for work.

Has anyone tried beef tripe before? I saw some at our pet store yesterday and it felt nice and hard and was reasonably priced, but I was not sure about what kind of smell it would have.

I did get some dehydrated bison heart for treats which, as a vegetarian, I am pretty excited about.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:04 am

Small Dogs > Collars & Leashes! What do you use?
Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 3:32pm PST 
We use a collar and retractable leash most of time time. She's good at listening and never goes to the full extent of it, and I lock it when kids or other dogs are near by. I will sometimes use her nylon leash when we're going to a long city walk and I know it'll be really crowded.

I have a puppia harness and a buddy belt, but she doesn't like either of them. I'd really like her to adjust to one of them though...
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Feb 25 6:20 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.