Postings by Bear

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Akita > Adding an Akita Puppy to our Family--Questions for Experienced Akita Owners
Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 4:39pm PST 
Thanks for all the info. They have been socialized with adults and kids as well as dogs. We met him and he isn't nervous in new places or around us. He was very laid back, attentive to his surroundings, and enjoyed me holding him! He seemed well socialized and didn't signal any red flags for us; and I've researched a lot lol. He's had his 3rd round of shots, today actually, and weighs 20.4 lbs. according to the adult weight calculator on dogster he will weigh about 118 lbs. I can't wait to upload a photo. I can't right now. But if you have any more tips this week, please share! It's earlier than we expected but I'm sooooo excited to have him home!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Akita > Adding an Akita Puppy to our Family--Questions for Experienced Akita Owners
Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 4:18pm PST 
This has been such a hectic journey. The dog miscarried. But every time a door closes a window opens. We found another breeder who owns both the mom and dad, sent me pics of both. I met the pups TODAY and we pick up our baby NEXT Saturday! He will be 10 weeks old, has all his shots/deworming, has his own "puppy folder", and is loved a lot! I'm so excited! now the name...we are undecided. But he is EXACTLY the color of pup we would have picked if we could and his personality fits with our family wonderfully. Yay! Now to buy the necesseities! I have a pic but cant load it right now.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 4:18pm PST 
Well happy birthday to Kai. smile Yes, the waiting game stinks, but will be sooo worth it! We have our home "toddler proofed" and with Bear, I sometimes forget he is almost 8 because he gets into things as if he were a puppy. We are careful about what we leave out, and we keep our home tidy. I think the biggest challenge will be the Christmas tree! That's intriguing for a 3 year old, an adult Pom, I can only imagine a puppy! But it will work! I'll be sure to upload a pic when I can and let all of you who have been so helpful know when our new little guy is born!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 6:21pm PST 
So...it's less than a month away before our puppy is born! I'm so excited!

The timing couldn't be more perfect. We will get the puppy at a little over 8 weeks of age, and it will be right when I go on Christmas Break for work. So my husband, daughter, and I will be at home with the new pup for two weeks straight working on some basic training while enjoying our time off as a family. I think this will be a great bonding time! Plus, before we get the pup 1) I can be there when they are born and 2) I can go over, visit, and interact with the pups on a regular basis. I think this will be a great way in helping us get to know the pups' personalities and assist us in choosing the right one for our family.

YAY FOR A NEW FAMILY MEMBER!!!dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 6:14pm PST 
Thank you for the fantastic responses!

First, in regards to the dominance thing...I've been reading a lot and have been finding a great deal of contradicting material. I am more inclined to read and believe the newer samples, ESPECIALLY knowing the bloodlines of both parents many, MANY generations back. We are really getting a pup from some fantastic parents!

I'm glad to hear there is a distinct difference in the length of the long vs the standard coats. Again, just my own preference with that.

We'll be getting the extra large kennel, especially after reading these responses. It seems pretty unanimous that if there were an even larger size, that would be better.

For food, we knew we'd go grain free, as we do for Bear, I was just curious if any one brand is better. We do feed Bear Science Diet, but perhaps once this bag is gone we should make the switch...confused Bear does really well on it though, so who knows! There are so many choices!

While I'm not anticipating letting our Akita sleep in bed with us, realistically, I'm only opposed because of the size of the dog, not the dominance. Will it happen at some point? Probably so. Hey, I'm being honest!

Thanks for the replies!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 1:17pm PST 
I'm not sure how everyone on here got their Akita; be it adoption, or purchasing from a breeder.

If you chose your puppy from a litter, were there any long coats in the litter? I know that both parents carry the recessive gene for long coats, the mother actually has a long coat, though I wouldn't call it "wooly", and we want a "standard" coated Akita. I'm not saying the long coats aren't beautiful in their own right, but we have a Pomeranian, and I think the Akita has plenty of fur as it is. smile That's just my own personal preference though. The breeder knows our preference, so it's not even an issue.

My question is, as a puppies, can you tell the difference between a long and standard coated Akita? I've searched, and searched for pictures and I've only found a few. How soon does the coat length appear? We won't be getting our puppy until it's 8 weeks of age, but will choose it before then. I simply want to make sure that we are choosing a standard coat pup...though I'm guessing our breeder will be able to tell the difference and help us out.

Has anyone had experience choosing from a litter where the pups have different coat lenghts? Is it obvious? How can you tell the difference?
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 3:51pm PST 
Perfect. Thank you for that information. I know that the sire, at 11 months of age was 27 in. at the withers. He is older than that now, and obviously was not full grown at the time. I'm not 100% sure on the mother's height, but when I met her she seemed to be pretty standard.

I'm kind of hoping to ask around to see if anyone has a crate they no longer use. I know several people who have had extra large breed dogs who may have a crate I could buy for less than they cost at a store. (I feel they are a bit overpriced at many places.)

I suppose I'm anticipating a male pup to grow into a mature dog around the same size as his father, but either way, it will be a large dog! We have a perfect spot for a crate in our bedroom, and while Bear tends to sleep on our bed, at the foot of it, I don't think I can bring myself to allow a 100 lb (or so) dog up with us! That is a lot of animal! Although, I know how much Akitas love the children in the family, and I have a feeling our daughter will want the dog in her room when she is older! We'll see what happens with that though.

Any other suggestions on food, toys they won't destroy, how often you have them groomed, etc.? I know about the coat blowing, so I'm not too concerned about that...I vacuum daily anyway!

One last question...I know large breed dogs grow quickly...how rapidly does an Akita grow? How long do you keep them on "puppy" food?
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 10:04am PST 
It has been a while since I've been on here and I have a few updates.

First, the breeder we visited ended up not having pups. He though his female was carrying 2 and the breeding was unsuccessful. I was extremely disappointed.

On a positive note, the breeder we were originally going to go with was able to breed her dog since she finally came into heat. (Apparently it was delayed, and when she spoke with other Akita owners, they had the same issue.) So, I was hesitant to post. It's been a week, and clearly she is unable to tell herself whether or not her dog is carrying pups. Even though I liked the second breeder, I feel better about purchasing a pup from this one. Both parents have had all the appropriate tests done and everything came back with the best possible results. The bloodlines are fantastic on both sides, and I couldn't ask for a pup from better parents...wonderful dispositions. The owner of the male confirmed 3 successful breeding's, so now I suppose it is a waiting game for a little while longer. I was actually told, since I have first pick, that if I want to be there when the puppies are born I can be, and I am also able to come visit and get to know the pups before choosing one. I LOVE that. But again, I have to wait and see...I would hate to get my hopes up too much and then find out the breeding didn't "take". Though I know with a proven sire, and a vet-checked and ready to go female, that it is unlikely no pups will be produced.

So we are obviously going to do crate training for a puppy (though I know the pups will be working on being house broken before we bring one home), but what size of crate would we need? If we can, we will be getting a male from this litter. I know they are a little bigger than the females. The sire is around 120 lbs and the mother around 85. So I'm guessing somewhere in that range, though with a male, probably on the larger side of the spectrum. The crate will be used at night until the pup is potty trained, and while we are at work. Gradually, we will leave him lose for small periods of time until we can trust him alone in the house. So, crate size? Also, what kind of food do you give your Akitas?

Thanks! Please keep your fingers crossed for us! Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have more details!
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 11:45am PST 
We actually talked about it and are sticking with a female. We said that eventually when we are ready to add a 2nd dog again we'll get a male. We just can't sacrifice Bear's safety, and he is 8, stubborn, and adores female dogs, big or small. I'm good with our decision still and am just happy to be adding a large dog. I also think the mother's size was deceiving because the male was SO big. I can't wait! We are still working on names though. Any ideas? We would like something that means beautiful, strong, or magestic. It doesn't have to be Japanese, I just like bouncing off ideas from others.

Oh...on a side note, I'm thinking it is a good sign that his dogs had good personalities and we good with our daughter. They were really attentive to her and aware of the fact that she was a lot smaller than them. They were very gentle when licking her and walking by her. She thought they were the greatest thing ever and was gentle petting them. Also good in my opinion. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 6:56am PST 
We saw the dogs! They are well cared for. They have an air conditioned dog house and a separate indoor area for when the pups are born. The parents were about the size I expected; the father bigger, the mother a little smaller. (though I don't think 90lbs can be classified as small) the father was very friendly. We pet him and he just loved up on us. The mother was more reserved and questioned our presence, which partly attributed to her carrying pups. Plus every time she would come up to us the male would but in front of her. They didn't show any signs of aggression and were well socialized. My dilemma: I'm fonder of the size of the male. We are getting a female. I know that they'll probably be in between the parents sizes so I probably shouldn't make too much of it. Plus we have a male Pom and I'd hate to have any same sex aggression.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 7 5:51 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.