GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Small Dogs > I am a show dog
Ch. Jones NY

Design Jewelry,- not dogs!!

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 4:32pm PST 
Welcome Coffee!
I don't know who your breeder is and why they didn't advise you, but before you spend a lot of money showing, you should know that tongue showing with the mouth closed is a major fault in the show ring for Lhasas. You can probably have some fun showing in matches but it will be very difficult in real shows with that tongue out.
It is the same fault with our Frenchies and pretty much a waste of time and money to try to show one with the tongue showing at all.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 21 11:15 pm

Dog Health > Puppy rectal prolapses
Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:00pm PST 
What is his tail like? Because of the shortened tail, some frenchies have issues with the nerve controlling their anus. Sometimes, if the tail is extremely short or there is a pocket around the tail the result will be lots of prolapses caused from pressure of the tail base on the rectum.
In extreme cases I have heard of internal amputation of the embedded tail stump.
Jones has the opposite problem. He cannot "close" his rectum and needs constant butt wipes. This is still an issue with the shortened tail causing issues with the nerves.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 25 7:00 am

Dog Health > Cataracts - Early Detection Test with Camera

Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 1:33pm PST 
The camera trick works for some, but sadly, there are many different types of cataracts in dogs and not all of them will be visible by blocking the flash, it depends on the type of cataract as well as its position in the eye.
Good luck with the surgery. I recently had a Frenchie with a hereditary juvenile cataract and, fortunately for him, it broke up on its own when it was mature, resulting in the return of full vision in that eye. This doesn't happen often, but it like a miracle when it does!
His cataract was diagnosed at 6 months and was completely gone at just around a year of age. All that is left are tiny pieces which the ophthalmologist can see on exam with his special equipment but which are not visible to the naked eye OR to the dog seeing out of that eye.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 4:53 pm

Dog Health > Getting an older dog neutured

Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 4:31am PST 
Jones was neutered this Summer at almost 8 years old, after a long show/breeding career. He was neutered while under anesthesia for an eye removal.
Except for his missing parts, he is absolutely no different than before the neutering. His recovery was totally uneventful and he was back to normal by the day after his surgery.
BUT... as for interest/excitement in females in heat...that did not change whatsoever, he is still looking and interested!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 6 3:46 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Who doesn't have dog preferences?

Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 8:14pm PST 
Ah ha, so I am the ugly one??? big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 40 posts. Last posting by , Sep 22 4:13 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '12 6:17pm PST 
My money is on the Frenchie!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 10437 posts. Last posting by , Fri 6:06 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Advice on Dog Doors...

Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Tue May 1, '12 5:14pm PST 
Savvy, I put a dog door in one of those metal storm doors. I actually mounted it on a piece of plywood that was about 10 inches longer and 10 inches wider than the door, then cut the hole for the size of the dog door. My reasoning was that the plywood would make a stronger "frame" for the door, BUT also that since those doggy doors DO NEED replacing fairly often and I usually can't ever find the same brand/exact size, I could have some breathing room if my hole was too big for the next door. I painted the plywood the same color as the storm door.
That said, make sure you really WANT the dog door... I found my dogs were constantly racing outside and barking... not cool, especially in the evenings when people are outside enjoying the QUIET evening air. Worse yet, they dragged everything they could, including frogs and toads and snakes, inside the house, and since they had the WHOLE house, it wasn't cool. Especially the night I found a LIVE SNAKE warming itself in my waterbed!!!!
I ended up scraping that door entirely and went back to manually letting them in and out.
I DID put a doggy door off a puppy pen in my "dog room". It goes thru the wall, again I used the plywood frame, and I LOVE that one. It also has it's own pen outside, and that pen is covered so I don't have raccoons, stray cats, snakes and all of that coming in with the dogs. An occasional frog but they are confined to the inside pen!!!
I put only those dogs that DON'T sit outside and bark in that pen. They can go out whenever, but all the stuff they bring back inside is at least contained in that one pen. I have a bunch of heavy stuffed beds in the pen. Right now Jones and Hilda are in there and they can be out day and night because they NEVER bark. It IS too cold in the Winter, but is great the other three seasons.
Originally it was for puppies and worked great for them, too. They all housebroke themselves, which was nice!! When I had the puppies (poodles) in there I also mounted another doggy door on the outside wall since it was an old house and an 8 inch thick wall. That worked great and was warm enough in the Winter for daytime use.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 2 12:41 pm

Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 7:44pm PST 
Sonja, I never burp, either! But, watch my other end, hehehe!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 12144 posts. Last posting by , Fri 6:06 pm

Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 4:49pm PST 
Jewel, I had some of those booster type seats for my Frenchies... they ALWAYS stared at the seat backs, convinced I was trying to punish them or something worse. Got a regular doggy seat belt and all was well.
[notify]
» There has since been 12246 posts. Last posting by , Fri 6:06 pm

Ch. Jones NY

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 5:27pm PST 
On a better note, Jonesy went up to have his stitches out today. He came home with his stitches still in, she wants to wait a few more days, but the report was excellent. And, you really can't even notice his eye is missing with his HUGE eyebrows and black face.
I couldn't believe what a smooze he is... we went out back and every single person there raced in to love on him. He was eating it up and didn't want to come home to my boring life.
He was also at work with me today and missed the chicken dinners!!! Trust me, had he been home, he would have been right in the middle of it all!!!
I was contemplating switching them to raw... guess they knew it and decided to help me out making a decision!
[notify]
» There has since been 12272 posts. Last posting by , Fri 6:06 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.