Postings by Phoenix

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Choosing the Right Dog > Food aggression issues in desired dog at shelter. Is it too risky to work with?
Phoenix

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:22am PST 
Yeah, you were right about the toy behavior. Every time she is out of her crate we're keeping her on the training leash. She doesn't seem to mind our dog at all until food or a toy is involved. We'll see, hopefully with some training she will come around. I took her to the vet today to get her up to date on shots, and found out she is in heat right now. Do you think that has something to do with the aggression? I have already set up an appointment to get her spayed as soon as she is out of heat (they said it's riskier to operate right now).

Wow, you are awesome for messaging the NE owner, I really appreciate it!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Elsie, Jan 18 1:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Food aggression issues in desired dog at shelter. Is it too risky to work with?
Phoenix

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 5:01pm PST 
Just a quick update...picked up the Elkhound today, she didn't know her name so my boyfriend and I named her Elsie smile For the first hour we had her on a 20 ft. training leash. Our beagle tried to play with her, and it was going really well for a while until he tried to approach a toy she picked up. She bared her teeth a little, but we were right there to yell "NO!" and have not seen any problems since. They played for a bit, and we took her for an hour walk. She is now passed out in her crate smile I think the play time and exercise is really helping to counter any potential possessive behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Elsie, Jan 18 1:22 pm

Phoenix

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 11:11am PST 
Thank you so much for all the great advice everyone smile I definitely am feeling more confident now. I am picking her up today and will be keeping a close eye on her. Also, whether I keep the Elkie or not, she will be spayed while she is in my care. Hopefully that will bring down the chances of aggression as well.

Charlie-thanks for the compliment! Yes Phoenix is a cutie, I'll have to post some pictures of his "sister" later!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Elsie, Jan 18 1:22 pm

Phoenix

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 4:15pm PST 
Ah, I didn't think about the toy thing. I'll be sure to move anything like that out of the way beforehand, thank you. And yes, it is a little strange that she came from a breeder but is without too many issues. I'm not sure. I've come to terms based off of your feedback and by research that I really won't know anything until I try foster-to-adopt. In the meantime I'll be reading that article tonight.

You don't sound negative, all this advice is really giving me other things to consider besides food aggression smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Elsie, Jan 18 1:22 pm

Phoenix

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 2:05pm PST 
By the way...I just want to note, your comment on beagles being naive made me laugh. SO true, especially with mine who is a beagle/basset mix smile

And yes, they do foster-to-adopt. I did that with my dog I have now. The shelter was pleased to know that I didn't just walk out with her today after seeing her food aggression. They said they wish they had more people that thought these things through, which was very nice to hear. I filled out all her paperwork but said I wanted to ask the internet, aka Dogster (hehe!) and do some research on food aggression before possibly bringing her home on Monday.

Honestly, I'd let my current dog pick out one from the shelter but he tries to get along with EVERYONE. I had to narrow the choices down for him smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Elsie, Jan 18 1:22 pm

Phoenix

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 1:30pm PST 
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response, it was great to see someone else's advice on this.

The Elkhound IS a purebred, surprisingly. The volunteer said she was surrendered because the guy who bought her from a breeder gave it as a Xmas gift to someone who didn't have time for it (that time of year, right?). However, some of the breed standards are all wrong with her. I'm an avid NE lover, which was also one of the reasons I hope to adopt her, but her characteristics go completely against everything I've learned about the breed. She is EXTREMELY quiet, not a peep since she entered the shelter. Her markings are pretty off too. But she's very calm, sweet, loves attention, and is food motivated. Perhaps a bit too much.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Elsie, Jan 18 1:22 pm

Phoenix

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:31am PST 
For a while now my fiance and I have been wanting a second dog ever since adopting our beagle/basset hound in 2011. There is a 1 year old Norwegian Elkhound at a local shelter we have fallen in love with, except for the fact that we think she has some food aggression issues towards other dogs.

We brought our dog by and they played well in the shelter's yard together, sniffing around and not minding each other's company. However, once we brought them back inside the shelter the volunteer pulled out some treats and the Elkhound started snarling at my current dog. She did not lunge or growl at him, just showed her teeth every time he looked at the treats.

I have fostered 2 dogs before and am used to separating them at mealtimes. I will also be enrolling her in obedience training as soon as I can if we go through with adoption. We're willing to work with her, but is it even a good idea bringing in a second dog that is showing food aggression issues?

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Elsie, Jan 18 1:22 pm

Puppy Place > Helping to socialize a pitbull puppy for a local shelter. Any tips?

Phoenix

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:26am PST 
Hi there, I'm picking up a 3 month old pitbull puppy from a shelter this weekend to help with socialization for a few weeks until he is ready to be adopted. I have never raised a puppy on my own, I have always adopted older dogs.

What are some must-do activities with a puppy to provide good socialization? Unfortunately, our dog park does not allow puppies under 6 months old so we can't bring him there. Thanks for any advice you can give me!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 11 12:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Guess his breeds!

Phoenix

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:50am PST 
I think he looks like he has some Anatolian Shepherd in him! Beautiful dog smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ace, Jul 19 7:43 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Anyone own a Norwegian Elkhound? Looking for advice...
Phoenix

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 10:15am PST 
Thanks guys, this is all extremely helpful. I'll be contacting Tuck for more information.

I'm now a bit worried about the jogging partner thing...I work a 9-5 job and wouldn't have time for 3-4 five mile runs. My boyfriend works from home but I don't want him to be solely responsible for running with the dog. And while it doesn't get -too- hot here (I live in the mountains) I don't think I'd have many options for exercise in the summer.

Dogs and people are the only concerns of mine for an Elkhound to be friendly with, I'm horribly allergic to cats smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoenix, May 2 10:15 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.