GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Behavior & Training > Mini schnauzer barking a problem for apartment living
Ezra

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 4:19am PST 
Exercise is super important for all dogs, like Dandelion said. But even with all kinds of exercise and training, some dogs just bark a lot. And all the mini schnauzers I've known don't just bark for 'no reason' but they bark when people walk by and when they see squirrels and when they're playing etc. You could look for a good rescue and see if you can find an adult who is known to be abnormally quiet.

I'd also post in 'Finding the right dog' and say what you're looking for in a dog. There might be a breed better suited to you.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 6 3:47 pm

Puppy Place > The Fence!!!!!!
Ezra

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:52am PST 
when you say you got down in his face and asked him very nicely not to bite, what exactly did you do? I'm not trying to be flippant but dogs don't understand English. Have you tried using a clicker and treats train him?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 12:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > teachers with a kid want an adopted lab. right dog?

Ezra

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 5:54am PST 
there are thousands of labs in rescues but keep in mind that according to the three biggest lab rescues in my state many labs wind up in rescue because it turns out they can't handle being alone all day. I think you can probably find a lab that would work for you, but it might take some months. Since you have specific requirements about how long it needs to be able to be alone, I think you'd probably want to go through a rescue that fosters, and make sure to ask about whether or not the dog is being fostered with other animals. I've known a lot of dogs that can't be by themselves, but are fine with another dog.

Why do you want a lab specifically? If you're willing to go with other breeds or a mixed breed dog, you will probably have an easier time finding a dog that's right for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 5:54 am

Choosing the Right Dog > need help finding the right dog (puppy)

Ezra

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 4:03pm PST 
The problem with the pug beagle crosses (sold as 'puggles') is that you're getting a dog that wasn't well bred since reputable breeders don't create this mix. It also is a mix, not a breed, so you might get a puppy that has mostly pug traits, or mostly beagle traits, and you might get a Super vocal dog or a dog with Tons of health problems that could have been eliminated by doing genetic testing on the parents (something reputable breeders Do.) If you're looking at older rescue dogs (1-3 years) you might find a pug/beagle mix that would be perfect for you, but a puppy is a crap shoot.

In terms of breeds, what about a tibetan spaniel?
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jun 30 9:28 am

Behavior & Training > Telepathy between dogs and humans

Ezra

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:37am PST 
I've been in one room and Ezra has been in another, and I'll be doing work but then if I start to think about taking him out (and stop typing, or moving papers, or stretch in my chair) I'll hear him get up from where he was lying and go to the door, which is his signal that he needs to go out. It isn't because I've asked him a question with my mind, he just can tell I'm taking a break from whatever I'm doing.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jun 8 11:40 am

Behavior & Training > Looking for pet loo or toilet for potty training.
Ezra

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 3:49am PST 
Is there a reason you can't potty train her now? If she spends two weeks learning that you want her to go in the house, it's likely going to be a lot harder to train her to stop going in the house than if you start from day 1 with her going outside.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 29 3:49 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Could a service dog fit into my life?

Ezra

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 5:29pm PST 
I would just add that if you've never trained a dog before, and even if you had, you'd need to have somebody professional help you at some point. This isn't cheap, and there is no guarantee that the dog will end up working. It might take 1.5-2 years to find out the dog didn't work.

Also if the program is a good one it should help you come up with ways to fundraise for the dog, and then you'd get a dog that was trained, the support of the program, and it wouldn't cost you.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , May 20 3:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > White Water rafting w/ Service Dog

Ezra

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 3:47am PST 
I would not do it. Rafts can flip and if your dog is secured to the raft, he or she could become trapped. If he or she were not secured and were to fall overboard (humans go over all the time) they could end up drowning. When you raft as a human they tell you to make sure you keep your feet up if you fall in, whatever you do, because otherwise your feet can get trapped on stuff in the river (sticks/rocks/whatever) and you'll get dragged under and you're dead. You can't tell a dog to keep its feet up and they can't float on their backs. Also white water can form things called washing machines, which are sort of circular currents in the water, very very strong, can suck you or a dog in, and again, you're dead. If a human falls in the water the guide can tell them to swim left or right, to avoid the washing machine. You can't tell a dog this.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 16 1:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Potty Training. Ugh.

Ezra

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:53am PST 
Make sure you're cleaning the spots where he pees thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner. Otherwise he'll still be able to smell the spots.

I'd stop punishing him for going inside, and start tethering him to you or somebody in the house. Then whenever he starts to sniff or circle or do whatever it is that means he is about to go, you can get him outside quick, and praise praise praise.

Also has be been checked for a uti?

Finally, if he pees outside, on pee pads and on the rug but not on uncovered floor, maybe he's confused by the pee pads. Is it possible to start over and teach him to only go outside?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 10 5:22 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Catahoula Personality
Ezra

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 5:22am PST 
It sounds like you had a pretty unique catahoula. I have never met a catahoula that could be called laid back, at all. Dogs are individuals and I suppose if you looked hard enough you could find a relatively laid back catahoula, but you'd have much better luck looking into other breeds. The ones I have met have been quite vocal especially in terms of alerting that anybody new was anywhere near the property, not very dog friendly, definitely not cat friendly, and go go go go in terms of energy.

It's also worth remembering that rescues and shelters are frequently wrong about breeds/breed mixes, so take any breed guesses with a grain of salt, especially if the dog is a mixed breed. If you're looking for a calm, medium sized, quiet dog, I'd look at adult dogs in foster homes.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 13 2:08 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.