GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Food & Nutrition > Suddenly starving!
Bella

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 2:02pm PST 
Thanks for the replies. She is eating well now and we've given her more and normal when it seems like she is just not satisfied. We're going to chalk it up to colder weather and keep an eye on her weight to be sure she doesn't gain too much.

This summer she was skipping meals and we had it checked out at the vet (not through bloodwork, but with a stool sample) and they thought it was related to the heat and humidity. Now we have the opposite problem smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 22 2:02 pm

Food & Nutrition > What Is Your Dog's Favorite Fruit/Vegetable?
Bella

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 2:10pm PST 
Watermelon.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 20 2:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > Suddenly starving!

Bella

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:18pm PST 
Our pup went from skipping meals this summer (eating 1.5 meals slowly over a day, typically eating her breakfast at 2pm and dinner at 6), to being ravenous and eating her food at both meals quickly and we've even started giving her a little extra (about 1/2 cup) if she is "hunting" for more after she eats.

She's been to the vet in the past month and is parasite free (routine check up).

We changed her food to a grain free in August, but this hunger change is more recent (last 2-3 weeks).

She is very lean and it is getting colder, so we thought it might be a reaction to the change in weather?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 22 2:02 pm

Dog Health > Hives!

Bella

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 7:34pm PST 
The antibiotics worked and she was better within a few weeks. The hair is still growing back on her nose, but the worst of it was over within 3 weeks of it starting.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 7:34 pm

Food & Nutrition > Raised food bowl?

Bella

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 7:32pm PST 
Our 3 year pup seems to be bending lower and lower to reach her food bowl. She's started doing this legs out reach to get to the bowl. I'm wondering about getting a raised bowl set up. She is a mutt, but has a deep chest and skinny waist, very muscular, 60 pounds, very active. We've read some online about a raised bowl, but it seems totally confusing, especially concerning bloat.

What do you do?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 24 5:57 pm

Dog Health > Hives!
Bella

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 12:49pm PST 
We went back to the vet this morning. Despite her leaving the hives alone, they all opened up and became open, oozing sores. She is miserable. The vet we saw today (same practice, different vet) said we should have seen improvement with the steroids and week of benadryl and that he is thinking some kind of infection is causing the blistering sores as opposed to an allergy. He also said there are some more serious diseases like Actinomycosis or pericarditis that can cause these kinds of things, but that he is hopeful it is just an infection under the skin that will improve with basic antibiotics.
We're stressed and she's exhausted. We should know if the antibiotics are working by Wednesday.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 19 7:34 pm

Dog Health > Entertaining Puppy After Spay Surgery

Bella

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 12:38pm PST 
We struggled with this too, as our dog is super active. We let her chew on rope toys and we did short walks after the initial post op appointment. She did get zooey and run circles in the living room a few times because she had so much pent up energy. Our doctor said she could go on short walks which helped. I've also heard of hiding treats in the house and letting the dog find them to exercise their brain.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 7 6:20 pm

Dog Health > Hives!

Bella

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 7:02pm PST 
I know this post didn't get a lot of traffic but wanted to update...

Finally got into the vet today (their first appointment after calling Saturday). They seemed to settle on insect bites (bees or spiders) and were a bit amazed at the intensity of her hives despite 5 days of benadryl treatment. They gave her a steroid shot and recommended continuing the benadryl every 4-6 hours until the hives are gone, which they guessed could take another 3-7 days. They were particularly concerned about her opening her hives up with itching and wanted me to get and e-collar if that happens. I'm hoping we can avoid it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 7:34 pm

Dog Health > Hives!

Bella

Barked: Sun Sep 1, '13 6:38am PST 
Bella has hives. She developed some soon after she woke up yesterday. We called the vet, but they didn't seem very concerned and recommended benadryl and made us an appointment for Wednesday. The benadryl worked and the hives went down, but she woke up this morning with small hives that eventually grew quite large (picture on my account page).
They're on the top of her nose and the outside of her ears. Most are between dime and nickel sized. She is itchy but not extremely itchy (she once had smaller hives from a reaction to shampoo and she was much itchier then). Other body functions are normal- eating, eliminating, breathing. She has been asleep because of the benadryl, but when awake she has normal energy level.
I'm so worried. I've washed her bed and blankets and wiped her down in case it is an irritant on her skin or feet. She was in the woods Friday night, but otherwise she's been home and hasn't had anything out of the ordinary. Eeek.
I know the dosing for benadryl but how much can a dog take in 24 hours? She took 50mg yesterday morning (she weighs 60 pounds) and I only gave her 25mg this morning. My vet is closed today and tomorrow.

Edited to try to include photo... but couldn't get it to work.
[url=http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1240031][img]http://files.dogster .com/pix/dogs/31/1240031/1240031_1378042257.jpg[/img][/url]

http: //files.dogster.com/pix/dogs/31/1240031/1240031_1378042257.jpg
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 7:34 pm

Dog Health > Rash on neck... to go to the vet, or not?
Bella

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 8:00pm PST 
So my pup has a rash on her neck... its pencil eraser size pink pumps that have scabbed over the past few days. They're slow to heal and have been there for the past two weeks. We assumed mosquito bites or other irritation, but they've been there long enough that we're considering a vet visit.

It is on her lower neck, so I'm not convinced its collar irritation, especially because she's wearing the same collar as usual. I'm a little worried about poison ivy on the collars, so we're washing them, just in case.

Other ideas of what it could be:

She was groomed at the kennel on July 22nd. They insist on an "exit bath" and she always has some kind of allergic reaction, despite us asking them to change their soap. Maybe leftover irritation from that. They also gave her a bandana to wear, but we've taken that off since we noticed the bumps. Seems unlikely because it has been so long.

She spent the night last week with my father in law, who's notorious for feeding dogs everything under the sun... I'm sure they indulged her. Could be an allergy to something she was given?

Some kind of localized mange or yeast infection?

Irritation from playing with other dogs? She has a tendency to go for necks when playing and we find other dogs do the same for her. Between the long weekend at the kennel and some puppy playdates, maybe these are slow to develop scars from those times...

My question- we have a vet appointment for tomorrow. It costs money just for her to be examined and we're debating if they'll even be able to help or if they'll use a wait and see strategy.

She is not in pain, not having difficulty eating, sleeping, playing, and not more itchy than normal.
What would you do?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 11 1:28 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.