GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > I rescued a 3 yr old male Sibeian Husky and he continues to make a routine out of urinating
Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:45pm PST 
I definitely agree that going back to potty training basics will help. He's in a new home, and he's still learning what to expect from you. When you are in the house, tether him to you with a long leash so you can keep and eye on him. When you can't keep an eye on him, crate him. If he isn't neutered, you might consider that as well to cut down on the marking behavior.

Using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle will also help clean up the urine so he can't smell it and keep going in that one spot. You can order large jugs of it off Amazon smile

Good luck! Huskies can be weird sometimes about the potty business.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 20 3:14 pm

Siberian Husky > Your Huskies weight and Age?
Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 12:34pm PST 
Alice is 1 year and 8 months and is now up to 44 pounds. She's on the tall lanky side still.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 5:45 pm

Siberian Husky > ✔ A head-count of all the Dogster Huskies ✔

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 7:29pm PST 
Alice is a 1.5-year-old husky. She's a piebald husky with two blue eyes. We adopted her from a shelter in our area. Alice gets along well with our bluetick coonhound Charlie, even if he's sometimes a grumpy old man.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jul 12 10:52 am

Siberian Husky > Questable Parentage: Or I'm a Stray, What Am I?

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 6:09pm PST 
"While it's normal for Huskies to have difficulty gaining weight, I don't believe it's ok to just let them be underweight. It's also normal for Huskies to resource guard, and that's hardly acceptable. So probiotics, high calorie diets and extra meals are the norm around here, when applicable."

Thanks Vance! I feel like the 3 cups of food is probably too much for her, but if we can get some weight on her frame, then we can slowly back down and keep her at a better amount. Her probiotics arrived yesterday, so we've started on those. Hopefully we can get to a good weight soonish.

I had posted in the Food & Nutrition forum a bit about this issue too. I think that if we can get her intestines and poos in good order, then we'll consider a switch from TOTW to something like Acana where she'd be receiving more protein and nutrients (not that TOTW isn't a good food; we'd still keep Charlie our coonhound on it). I'd love to raw with her once we can move into a larger house with some extra room for a chest freezer.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 6:09 pm

Food & Nutrition > Digestive Enzymes/Probiotics or Switch Food?

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 9:15am PST 
Yes, Alice is our first husky in the family. How could you tell? laugh out loud

I do think we will cut back on the food here and add some extra enzymes for the three weeks before she goes back for another weigh-in at the vet. Our coonhound is getting around 2 1/4 cups and he's around 60 pounds -- the three cups just seems like so much of a relatively good food for Alice (she's got a big frame, but she seems like she's built lean like the sprint-racing huskies). She's obviously not getting anything out of the extra food if she's just pooing it out several times.

We could split her meals up a bit more. I usually do two kibble meals (after our morning walk and then after their walk when we get back from work) and then before I go to work both of the dogs get a kong with some sort of treat and Greek yogurt in it. We could split her dinner up into two, one bowl when we get home and then another before/after her bedtime walk.

I didn't add that when we adopted her, she still had roundworms, so she came home with pretty significant diarrhea and it took a while to get her close to a good poo. The yogurt and whatever probiotics are in TOTW may just not be enough here to get her intestines back in order as well.

Thank you so much for the help everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 12:06 am

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 7:16pm PST 
Ah, good to know. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 12:06 am

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 3:41pm PST 
Thank you for all the great info Denal, Squ'mey and Maxwell!

I ordered some Prozyme on Amazon today and we'll give that a go first since it seems to be so often recommended. I hadn't read before about adding water to the food with the enzymes on it. Alice will eat her food a little moistened, so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue with the enzymes too smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 12:06 am

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 7:40pm PST 
Thanks Denali!

Our coonhound, Charlie, has a bit of a touchy stomach, but he seems to do really well on TOTW, which is why we started Alice on it when she came home from the shelter.

I'm kind of leaning towards doing the digestive enzymes first and seeing if we can clear things up more before resorting to a kibble change. It seems like a lot of change all at once otherwise. I'll check out Prozyme too.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 12:06 am

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 4:47pm PST 
When we adopted Alice, she was only 35 pounds. In last month she gained only 2 more. Our vet would like us to try to get closer 40 over the next month.

We feed TOTW (cycle through varieties, right now it's High Prairie) and per our vet's suggestion upped from 2 1/4 to now 3 cups a day (split between two meals). Alice eats the food and usually has one good poop, but she's also have several soft, not so great poops a day. The extra poops are showing up anytime we go over 2 1/2 cups, which says to me she's getting too much food or not digesting it well.

I'm trying to figure out where we should go next. Should I go with a digestive enzyme or probiotic like Wholistic Digest or Solid Gold's D-Zyme to see if that helps, or should I start a switchover to a more nutrient-dense food like Acana grain free where she might be getting more protein in a little less kibble? Any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 12:06 am

Siberian Husky > Your Huskies weight and Age?
Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 12:26pm PST 
Alice is 11 months and weighs 37 pounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 5:45 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.