Postings by Harvey

GO!

Dogs & Travel > pug acts crazy in the car

Harvey

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:13am PST 
I've taken my guy on a couple 6 hour trips now and the beginning of the drive was always the worst. I have to keep him in his crate on the seat next to me with the pillow from my bed (i guess it smells like me), his favorite squeaky toy, and a giant braided bully stick. And we can't leave until he has pooped or he WILL howl continuously until we stop. Once he figures out we're not just going to PetSmart, he settles down and sleeps pretty deeply.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Angus, Mar 20 8:16 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Pug Lovers and Owners..talk to me here!
Harvey

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 1:10pm PST 
Ha, there's nothing like a peck of pugs (a flock of pugs?) to establish new converts to the breed!

In my experience, very little effort is required to produce extraordinarily sweet and easygoing pugs. They're super easy to socialize and train -- especially if edible rewards are involved. Most are very promiscuous with their affections: my family's pug would follow anyone home who petted her. They're a lot sturdier than other toy breeds and much less likely to snap at anyone waving fingers in their faces, which makes them pretty perfect to be around little kids. They're bossy about their mealtimes and will probably always be underfoot in the kitchen (and possibly in the rest of the house as well).

None of our flat-faced dogs have suffered breathing complications but they do need to be watched extra closely in the heat. Weight management is a never-ending battle. My guy, Harvey, LOVES our many walks but spends almost every moment indoors asleep on the couch. They're fairly fabulous little creatures.

I also universally adore Boston Terriers (pugs with higher energy? tiny labrador retrievers?) and English Bulldogs. Smoosh face dogs (and cats) seem to make up for any points lost in the aesthetic and health categories with sheer affability.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Harvey, Jul 17 1:10 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Small dogs that fit my criteria?

Harvey

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 6:21am PST 
Boston Terriers might be another good choice -- ours was great on long walks and hikes but a MASTER cuddler on rainy/snowy days. And I wholly endorse Pugs as the ultimate kid-friendly dog. Tibetan Spaniels and Shih Tzus are wonderful too.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Remmy, May 12 6:53 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The story of why you choose your Dogs name

Harvey

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 4:48pm PST 
Ha, Tohbi -- my guy's a Harvey but I never thought about Harvey Dent. I was inspired by the Jimmy Stewart movie and most especially by the scene when he explains that he never knew anyone called Harvey (until the six-feet tall rabbit came along) which is why he always had such high hopes for that name. Great movie...

All my pets have to be named after someone -- real or fictious. My family still has Rosie -- Wishbone's love interest in a particularly awesome episode of that PBS show -- and we had Benny the Boston Terrier -- b/c Ben Franklin was born in Boston, naturally. Someday I'll probably have a Ford Prefect and a Pliny the Elder.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Morrison, May 31 4:58 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > "low energy", smallish, not loud breeds?

Harvey

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 6:36am PST 
I've had pugs and bulldogs both and I agree that their skin issues require a lot of attention but I'm sure most would be very happy hanging out indoors most days, especially if the weather isn't a perfect 60 degrees. The trick would be getting them to actually move around indoors so they don't get all obese as they're prone to do. Once my pugs and bulldogs outgrew their puppy stages, their greatest joy in life was napping in their beds or by their humans' feet, so daily walks have been key to keeping them healthy. Rather than the classic "sedentary" breeds (read: lazy), maybe he should look at those little guys who are constantly busy and keeping themselves entertained -- does a non-barky terrier exist?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Mar 14 6:34 am

Behavior & Training > Pug vs. Cat: Human Attention
Harvey

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 6:20am PST 
Hi all -- this is my very first post!

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a dog and a cat or even two dogs engaging in a mostly silent war over their human's lap. Before I brought Harvey home six weeks ago, my roommate's cat Sasha generally enjoyed my undivided attention. Now there's a needy little pug at my side at all times. It took her a while but now she jumps on top of me anyway and if Harvey doesn't notice immediately (he's blind), she meows at him. Harvey wakes up, gets all alert, and it usually devolves into them hitting each other (!) and Harvey chasing Sasha out of the room.

Does this just sound like typical feline entertainment at the pug's expense? Or should I be concerned over Harvey's possessiveness? I'd like to adopt another dog eventually and I need to decide if I can get another "Velcro Dog" or if I should stick with the more independent types to avoid conflict.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Mar 13 8:16 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.