GO!

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > home cook with Dr. H's veg-to-bowl - for liver damage
Grace

it's a big, big- world out there!

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 6:50pm PST 
Hi,

I am needing to simplify things for a bit. I have a health condition and just started a new treatment... plus I was sort of thrown quickly into the "home cook" pot and don't feel educated enough on proper nutrients just yet...

Grace's health condition called for some quick changes.... and so one day she was eating dog food and now we are home cook... I don't mind it, they like it better... but I worry.

I was told to make a bunch of food and freeze it. But Gracie won't eat veggies that have been cooked, frozen, and thawed. She just won't. So I end up wasting food and having to make more food. She isn't in a place where I can let her go without if she chooses not to eat...she has to eat.

So I looked at Dr. Harvey's Veg-To-Bowl mix.... Does anyone use this? I got some today to try... it has all the veggies Grace's vet recommends she gets each week (beets are great for liver dogs).... Plus it has some vitamins added to it so thinking that will help me feel more secure in feeding until I can do more research.

Thinking I just add this to some grain and protein....

Just wanted to know if anyone has used this?

Any supplements that can be added to home cook to cover all possible missing needs?

She cannot have organ meats. She's on a low protein diet due to liver damage.

Just worried she (and my other dog, Gus) is not getting all she needs to get....
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 20 11:18 pm

Dog Health > looking for LIQUID multivitamin - home cook diet
Grace

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 1:47pm PST 
Thanks smile

My vet actually recommended using a children's liquid vitamin (no iron)! So we will be going out to get that today.... natural foods store only.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 27 7:49 am

Dog Health > looking for LIQUID multivitamin - home cook diet

Grace

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 11:51am PST 
Grace has liver disease. This means she does not always eat well.

We home cook due to special dietary needs.

Most people use mix-in powders that contain all the vitamins needed to make the diet complete... But since Grace has "bad days" and won't eat, or only eats a small bit of her food.... I can't rely on mix-ins

Does anyone use a good qualify liquid multivitamin for dogs?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 27 7:49 am

Dog Health > liver biopsy? - worth it? or no?

Grace

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 10:22pm PST 
We are waiting on her BAT.

The ALT levels aren't a reliable test... so waiting on her BAT. if it is better than her last - that will be great.

Her liver damage is due to a "vaccine injury".... so her treatment has been slightly different.

We do a lot of natural supports and detoxing. She's on a special diet - low protein, low fat. She has responded well. Eating better, more energy, more puppy like. Her levels aren't great. She has fewer "bad days".

Not sure the risk of a biopsy is worth it for Grace. Not sure she could survive them on top of a spay. frown

Thinking her treatment wouldn't change much even if the biopsy came back showing a form of MVD. sigh.

So not sure it's worth it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 25 1:51 pm

Dog Health > liver biopsy? - worth it? or no?

Grace

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:27pm PST 
Grace has liver issues. Did another BAT today, waiting on the results.

The vet has been wanting to do a biopsy since May. We were supposed to spay her in May but her tests came back really high so that was when we ran the first BAT and did an ultrasound.

Grace has a "vaccine injury" - liver damage - from a vaccine mistake at 14 weeks.

Want to get her spayed Monday. If her BAT comes back poorly again the vet will push for a biopsy. Which will be done when she's spayed. It also gives him a heads up that she needs extra monitoring, etc.

Her initial panel came back with little improvement. Her kidneys are doing better, but her liver shows the same. But those tests aren't always accurate which is why we do the BAT.

Is it worth it to do the biopsy?

She had an ultrasound done in May and they didn't see any shunts. Though it could be a ?? whatever it is called - ones they can't see on ultrasound... shunt.

But I've noticed many dogs with shunts treat it through diet and sometimes medication.

Because outside of having some bad days where she doesn't want to eat and is more tired than usual... she looks and acts like a normal dog. Even the vet said she is looking great.

If we know she has liver damage from the "vaccine injury", and she is already on a special diet, not sure if her treatment would change at all.

Not sure the risk of puncturing her liver is worth it?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 25 1:51 pm

Dog Health > dew claws - removing in older puppy?
Grace

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 12:27pm PST 
Grace is getting ready to be spayed. She is 10 months old and finally 6 pounds. She has liver issues, so we had to wait until she got older, stronger, and her liver levels got better. The vet will only put her under once because of this, and says this should be her only time going under unless it is an emergency.

Grace's front dew claws grow weird. They do not point like a normal claw. They grow in one thick chunk, and they curl inward (sidways - toward her leg, not curling in a circle. sort of curling spiral like sideways?)

Every time I clip them, when they grow out, they curl more. So clipping has become really difficult, because they keep turning inward.

A few of her other claws curl a little, but they aren't curling more with clippings, and they form a point. No idea why her dew claws are so weird.

She hates having them clipped. I've had people tell me just because she hates having them clipped is not a good reason to have on the list of pros and cons.

But... try holding a 1 inch paw while a dog fights you, and try clipping the little dew claw.... half the time I'm worried I will break her leg, or I will clip HER not her nail. And since it grows in a chunk, I can't use a tiny clipper like I do on her other nails. I have to use the next size up which makes it more dangerous.

I've tried a drummel, but because they curl, and because her foot is so tiny (and hairy) - I can't get it in the right position without almost dislocating the dew claw. Which makes her more upset (would me too!).

We see her vet tomorrow, will have him look at the claws and tell us what he thinks.

But I'm really considering having them removed.

Since she can only go under for surgery once, I don't want to risk that in 1-2 years with the curling they become a problem that needs surgery.

Please don't post anything mean. I know this is not a light surgery. I know what it entails. I have read about it completely. I'm still on the fence about it, and still thinking about options.

I had Gus's back dew claws removed as a very young puppy with his neuter. I wish I had done his front because they snag all the time and need taped if we are going to be walking in grass. But he was young. She is 10 months old.

What I want to know is if anyone has decided to get the claws removed while spaying their older puppy?

How was post op?

Any complications since?

Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Sep 21 9:46 am

Puppy Place > Boredom - Fun Game Ideas for Home

Grace

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 12:59pm PST 
Thanks Mozart smile

Grace knows basic obedience (minus the walking on leash).... and she knows some cute tricks like sit up, wave...

We have a yard but it is not finished yet. In the process. We do swim almost every day.

But it is the boredom factor. She is tired of the same old same old... Will definitely try a little home agility course for her smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 7 2:10 pm

Puppy Place > Boredom - Fun Game Ideas for Home

Grace

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:28am PST 
Hi all,

Grace is bored... I am hoping to get some ideas for some fun, easy, inexpensive activities or games to do around the house (or on the back patio).

A few things:

1. Grace is NOT fully vaccinated. She had a horrible vaccine incident, almost died, now has liver damage -- that's the nut shell version. She will not be fully vaccinated until after her 1st birthday (4 more months). So these activities need to be at home.

2. We can't go on walks because she is not fully vaccinated. We stay in the house, in the back yard, go over to my sister's, and she goes out with me (stays in a bag) but no walks. So again -- home games smile

3. We do training -- but at home. Sadly, no puppy school, training classes, or doggy daycare. Even tho I planned on that... her health issues have made that impossible right now. So... home is the theme wink

4. Grace is under 6 pounds. So ... yeah smile Gotta keep that in mind laugh out loud

I've managed to keep my little Grace entertained and happy for the last couple months. But it seems like the moment she turned 8 months she suddenly got bored and needs new things to master and explore.

So what are some really fun activities or games your puppies love?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 7 2:10 pm

Dog Health > Liver Shunt

Grace

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 9:01pm PST 
The treatment protocol is:

Supportive care - fluids, anti-nausea meds, pain meds, steroids for any allergic reactions, and antibiotics. If a lesion appears they give a more aggressive antibiotic.

Grace received all of the treatment protocol except the antibiotics.... which they were pushing on our last visit. Trying to come up with reasons why she should be on it instead of admitting to their mistake. Grrrr.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 18 10:52 am

Dog Health > Liver Shunt
Grace

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 7:06am PST 
Thanks all.

Grace is doing okay. Clingy from all the tests yesterday, but okay.

We are changing her diet - following a liver friendly diet until her levels normalize for 2 months straight. Not an ideal diet for a puppy, but her liver needs to repair.

This may account for her extreme picky eating. Right before the blood work our vet (new one - wonderful) joked that Grace eats like a sick cat.... because she is very fussy over what she will eat and how much. It's been an uphill battle since the vaccine.

So hoping as her liver heals her appetite will get better.

Not sure what to do about the other vet. Will probably report them somewhere... I have a chronic illness and so fighting a battle outside of my own illness and trying to heal Grace will be too much. But maybe my mom will help with that part.

Thanks for all the hugs and well wishes... will update down the road with how things are going. They will keep doing routine liver testing (including liver function) and if it doesn't improve they will do a biopsy. The vet in the office who does surgeries said he would spay her at that time if it was needed. Because they only want to put her under once if at all possible.

Otherwise we wait until she is over 1 year to spay. Hoping that will give her liver enough time to heal.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 18 10:52 am

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.