(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Belgian Malinois > Bel mals and other dogs
Nikolai

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 1:47pm PST 
Tell me about how your malinois are with other dogs. (:
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jax, May 3 11:16 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ideas (Mostly for fun)
Nikolai

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:59pm PST 
Opheila - Aw, lol, I'm sorry then! I guess I'm not that much of a cat person. red face I like cats plenty.. as long as they're someone else's!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 12:58pm PST 
A coonhound! There's a breed I hadn't even considered! Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely give them a good look. I can hear him now baby-talking over those floppy ears, haha.

I mentioned them to him and his first reaction was 'Ugh, a hound? confused Aren't they loud and smelly and dumb?', but then I rambled off some of the traits from random sites and showed him some videos and he agreed they were probably delightful.

Dahlia- I think a grey would be a great match for him, but they fall under his 'sticky' category. shrug

I think the coonhound suggestion is probably the best breed we've considered, for him. This requires more research!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:56am PST 
Don't be rude, please. ("Um, have you considered a cat or two perhaps?")

I handle the structure and training side of our dog house. He prefers to spend the little time he HAS on coddling and spoiling his dogs.

He has two dogs currently and they are handled just fine by him. His younger dog is a pound rescue husky/shepherd best guess and he can be a challenging, guarding, snappy snot, which my partner is willing to handle, he just doesn't like to. A breed less prone to be snotty and testing would be preferred.

The 'rules' side of thing is well handled. That's my thing. His thing is the uninhibited personality of dogs.

Miyu- I'm into training, he's not. He thinks a trained dog is a robot, I think an untrained dog is a wild animal. It's not a point of strife, it's just a difference of opinions. We have five dogs together and no one's suffering for it. laugh out loud

Bryce- I think a smooth collie falls under his 'sticky' category. I tried pointing a couple out to him at the eukanuba show recently and he didn't seem too interested. (He was distracted by the cane corso nearby. naughty )
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:09am PST 
Mulder, a soft older rotty was what I was thinking, too. We're also thinking about danes and he likes greater swiss but I don't know much about them and I'm not sure he does either.

Alyssum- He wants a big chunky cuddly dog that he can roll around on and sleep with and wrestle. As fun as our little dog is, he wants a big. smile
The other aesthetic stuff, like drooliness and fluffiness, isn't that important.

More about him..
He works 5-7 days/week, usually around 10hrs per day but frequently longer. He thinks trained dogs are 'robots' and doesn't want to 'squash a dog's personality'. He thinks dogs can do no wrong and if they're snotty that's just who they are and it's ok because they're dogs and that's what dogs do. I drag him to the dog park but otherwise his idea of exercise is propping the door open so the dogs can run in the yard. He hates to even tell a dog 'no' and wants to be able to be 100% nice to a dog and have the dog be nice back.

I'll be around for the rules and structure side of things, but the less I have to do, the better.
Should also be noted, before any conclusions are jumped to, we own a house and two cars together, are essentially though not legally married, and I am around all day. His lack of time is only worth mentioning because a super active dog would be overwhelming for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 12:06pm PST 
All pit type breeds are off the table. They can be lovely dogs, but neither of us want to deal with the pitbull stigma and I'm not sure he'd be a good match for a staffie or pitty type. He needs and wants a mushy, soft, loves-everything, nonconfrontational type of dog. He is extremely soft handed. A terrier would walk all over him.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 9:07am PST 
My breed researching has gotten my partner thinking about what breed he'd like to pursue next time. His last two dogs were shelter mutts and his next will likely be, too, but it's fun to think about. smile

He's looking for:
-A heavy-boned/tanky large or giant breed.
-Short hair.
-No drooly drippy mastiff jowls.
-Sweet, gentle, loves everyone type breed.
-Couch potato.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Behavior & Training > Car anxiety always better on the way home?

Nikolai

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:55am PST 
Niko is the same way as Sanka. I take his anxiety as overwhelming excitement. If he's loose in the back seat during a car ride, he's telling me about it the whole time, pacing around looking out the different windows, pushing his face up beside mine so he can howl and yap and carry on. He's more likely to complain if I stop or turn, haha.. going straight and fast suits him. laugh out loud

Once we've been ANYWHERE, he accepts that as 'the place we were going' and calms down. If I just stop and get gas he's calmer for the rest of any trip. (Of course, he's an 'always in motion' kind of dog, so his calm is still boisterous compared to the others, but he stops screaming at me, anyway.)
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jun 1 6:04 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What makes one an "experienced handler"?

Nikolai

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:09pm PST 
Miyu- Haha, not just yours. It just means they're having LOTS of fun with you and that they REALLY extra appreciate your treat..! Yeah, that's it, I'll go with that. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Nov 29 10:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What makes one an "experienced handler"?
Nikolai

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:30am PST 
Miyu- About half the time Niko takes treats like he knows human fingers are SUPER delicate, really slow, avoiding teeth contact, geeently rolling out his tongue.. the other half of the time it's like he thinks he has to catch the treat and just snaps it like a fly. laugh out loud shh Everyone else takes treats like gentlemen.

Lucille- I agree, there's a lot of real world dog experiences that you don't know you can handle till you're put into that situation. This is a big part of why I push fostering on anyone who talks to me and is considering getting a dog. I was once chastised by a rescue for wanting to "test drive" (their wording) GSDs.. I'd think they would WANT people to get that exposure!

I got the reference at the end, too. wink
One of my fosters was a big old previous chain-dog akita girl that my rescue people told me not to take on. Being bullheaded and of course knowing better (lol) I did it anyway.. I've handled many DA dogs before, big dogs, resource guarders, etc. THAT girl, though.. phew. Reminded me that I am not invincible and that I do have limits to what I can reasonably handle. Just a whole different level.

Happy- ..A sch BC. Still gets me! (: Love it.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Nov 29 10:09 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.