GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Behavior & Training > HELP WITH NEWLY RESUCED LAB WITH HISTORY OF 1 SEVERE BITE
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 11:25am PST 
Tiller, I wish I could express myself like you. That's what I was trying to say.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 19 12:40 pm

Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 10:52pm PST 
Smokey- This dog doesn't just have a history of a bite, he has a history of mauling, and is lunging and snapping at these poor well-intended people.

I don't care what the circumstances were. A dog that mauls a human and then continues to show active aggression should be PTS, in my honest blunt opinion. To dump that liability, that danger, that ticking bomb onto someone else was selfish and irresponsible of the original owners.

I've loved a lot of biting dogs, I certainly don't think all biting dogs should be pts. If your dog is an actual danger, you take responsibility and either keep and manage him or put him down.

Just my .02. Not saying the op SHOULD put the dog down, just voicing my opinion.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 19 12:40 pm

Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 11:16pm PST 
That dog should have been euthanized by the first owner and the first vet, imo.
Some GOOD dog that would never think of mauling a baby is going to go from a cold cement cage to a quick death at the hands of a stranger while THIS dog keeps getting chances to hurt people.

Maybe that's harsh of me, but I have a hard time being optimistic about a dog that caused 100 stitches worth of damage to an infant.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 19 12:40 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Quick question for Tiller. Not a breed match :)

Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 11:02pm PST 
I have met some delightful chis! I've met more bad than good, but the good ones I've met have been just wonderful: Bold, social, playful, completely full of themselves.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 6:58 am

Behavior & Training > What Makes You a "Dog Person" ?

Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:12pm PST 
Dogs amaze me, always have.

We have a symbiotic relationship with a species that could just as easily rip us apart as lick our faces, that can adapt to and flourish in our silly human world from jungles to towns to cities, that can understand our communication to so fine a degree that they can seem to read our minds, that can communicate back with us with a full and elaborate language whether we fully understand or not.

It stops my heart to see the teamwork dogs can have with people.. it's amazing that we can share whole lives with these pack predators who dream and problem solve and fight and hunt, who as a species, frankly, are in most ways superior to humans and who occasionally do demonstrate that they CAN take us on.. and they're willing to dance on their back legs and retrieve sticks for us.

I think that's pretty cool!

Of course, not all BREEDS are respectable for the same reasons, haha. I still think the communication thing is pretty fantastic. (:
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 6:27 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Considering a man's best friend
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:40am PST 
I'd say to wait until you can look ahead and say you likely DO know where you'll be in six months. You're about to get into a potentially very hectic and stressful time, and you'll have enough to adjust to with just finding a job and getting into the new routine.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 9 6:30 pm

Behavior & Training > CGC- We passed!

Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:20pm PST 
Yay! Good job!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 12:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Rough-housing all the time and over-the-top

Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:59am PST 
Careful, if you turn playing into something they get scolded for, they might start associating each other with being scolded and they might start actually fighting instead.

I understand about the coyotes and that's a bummer. My pack goes out to the dog park ~3 days a week and plays HARD in our yard for several hours every day. I can't imagine wearing them out if we didn't have a safe fenced yard for them to run in, so you certainly have my sympathy!

Creating separate-but-together time might just be what you need to do for a bit, until Connor learns that indoor time doesn't have to be constant play time. Maybe tether them nearby but apart, give them each something calm to chew or lick or otherwise occupy themselves with, and start working on creating a habit of non-confrontational calm.

They do still need to burn off energy, though. You may need to find somewhere safe for them to romp off-lead or maybe just spend a little extra time with them in the yard. You might even want to start turning it into a training opportunity: They get too rough indoors, you 'good idea! let's go outside!'. They only have to be out there for a few minutes and when they break from playing, back inside, treats, calm places.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 11:58 pm

Dog Health > My dog has lots of Smegma and he keeps licking his groin

Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 11:03pm PST 
Before I had my big boy neutered he was like that... Would sit in my car and leave a spot.. eugh.. had him to multiple vets at multiple points who all laughed at me and told me it was just because he was intact. confused
It DID stop after neutering, so maybe that was it, in his case.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 7:09 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Costs
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:29pm PST 
It's surprising how much the little things can add up, don't underestimate them.

Initial acquire, routine vetting, flea/tick prevention, grooming (tools or fees), food every month, treats, miscellaneous items like collars and toys, housing fees (depending on type of dog), boarding or a dogsitter if you vacation, etc.

STILL, though, honestly.. I don't consider dogs all that expensive. Adding up costs from last year NOT counting vetting the dog that was dumped on us who needed prompt care (though this is always a looming danger), and ignoring the fact that my home owner's insurance is painful due to our breeds, I'm looking at about $1k/year/dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 29 11:05 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.