GO!

German Shorthaired Pointer > First time owner of German Shorthair pointers

Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 6:36pm PST 
I'm assuming by kennel you mean crate training. If the kennel/crate is too big they're likely to pee in it if they still have room to lie down. GSPs are very smart. Patience and persistence. They'll get it. They're such lovable dogs. If you have doggy daycare in your area I highly recommend. It's done wonders for my GSP.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 22 6:36 pm

German Shorthaired Pointer > Newbie GSP Owner
Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 5:34pm PST 
My GSP is 13 months old too. She is crate trained and does fine being in her crate. We don't let her stay in longer than 5 hours at a time. When we walk in the house she often doesn't even get up in her crate and remains curled up. She used to sleep in her crate at night but she started whining and barking so now she sleeps on her own downstairs. So far this works but we have plans to let her go loose in the house when we aren't home until she is at least 2. For her protection and our cats as well.

Callie is very distracted when walking. I find stepping between her and whatever she has her eyes on works in getting her attention. This was a suggestion from a trainer.

Callie is an only child with boundless energy so we send her to daycare. She loves playing with other dogs and helps with her socializing. And it allows us to do things and go out at night without feeling guilty.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 29 7:50 am

Food & Nutrition > 5 month old bull mastiff what could i add to his dry food

Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 7:33am PST 
Sometimes a little warm water helps. Wellness makes canned toppers/mixers which I use for my GSP. She too didn't eat enough as a puppy which is why I started mixing wet with dry. My breeder told us not to worry but when your dog goes all day without eating it's disconcerting. There are still days when she won't eat but only once in awhile. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 28 9:53 am

Dogs & Travel > Car Harnesses

Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 7:23am PST 
I wish more people would use doggy seat belts. I recommend the harness style with the loop for the seatbelt to go through vs the clip style which gives the dog too much room to roam. My dog sits in the back seat and despite a few quick short stops she has been just fine. Even when my laptop flew off the seat Callie barely moved. Have a safe trip!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 27 9:33 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Okay, I admit I need help; Breed match me please!

Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 7:12am PST 
Of course I'm biased but I would suggest a German shorthaired pointer. Active, friendly with people and dogs, minimal shedding and grooming, love being outdoors, highly intelligent, learns tricks quickly. Females are usually smaller. Mine s 42 lbs at 13 months. Love giving kisses.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Feb 27 3:00 pm

Puppy Place > Tucker won't eat!!
Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 5:51pm PST 
We experienced the same problems with our GSP. We switched to a smaller kibble. Warm water helped but ultimately started adding wet food. There were days she hardly ate anything though sometimes hand feeding her worked. She's a year now and there are still days when it takes her hours to finish a meal. She will eat a bite here and there. She's healthy and growing so I didn't worry.

P.S. I agree with the no people food rule too!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 7:28 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy friends fighting constantly

Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 5:43pm PST 
I'm somewhat relieved to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. My puppy and her litter mate who belongs to my friend are CRAZY together. They get very aggressive with one another. They have to be separated frequently. But they love chasing one another. Typical siblings who can love and hate each other. Callie goes to daycare and has never exhibited this kind of behavior with other dogs. In fact, she's relatively submissive with other dogs. She usually lays down around new dogs. We are hoping they outgrow this.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 5:43 pm

Food & Nutrition > What is the deal with rawhide bones?

Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:56pm PST 
My trainer warned against rawhide from China since they use formaldehyde on them. Target sells USA made rawhides. My dog has never had any issues with them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 4:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.