GO!

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Davy Jones from the Monkeeys Died

The Boss

Barked: Sat Mar 3, '12 12:40pm PST 
R.I.P., Davy Jones!little angellittle angellittle angel
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 3 9:15 pm

Behavior & Training > How accurate are shock collars and other forms of positive punishment?
The Boss

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 7:10am PST 
They aren't my dogs and I'm not judging anyone. Besides, I don't use shock collars, prong collars, and the like.

The question asked in this thread is "How accurate are shock collars and other forms of positive punishment?" and the answer to that question is not very accurate, although I would rather use positive punishment methods than to use any of the negative ones. However, taken the fact that training or behavioral modifications can be best achieve using R methods, which is a scientific fact, not in training dogs, but in teaching humans as well, because learning is a behavior modification in itself. It requires all the sensual senses we and animals have such as sight, hearing, touching, and so forth, to engage in learning and/or changing behavior, but with animals, that is limited to their physical and mental cognitive abilities. One can psychologically affect an animal, which in this case, a dog, positively or negatively, depending on the method used. Again, I say, why would we need to use such devices on our dogs?

Remember something: Do you want your dog to come to you or do as you command, because it FEARS what will happen to it when it doesn't obey, OR, do you want your dog to come to you or do as you command, because it TRUSTS you? Using shock collars and other such devices may work by your dog obeying you, but it does it out of fear, resulting in more aggression and other behavioral problems later. Taking the time and patience to learn and understand your dog and how it thinks and learns, working with that in more positive ways, will help both you and your dog. Education -gaining knowledge- is key here, not opinion.
[notify]
» There has since been 87 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 9:14 pm

Behavior & Training > How accurate are shock collars and other forms of positive punishment?

The Boss

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 12:48am PST 
An example of injury from shock collar

This is just one example, I have a lot more...frown
[notify]
» There has since been 89 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 9:14 pm

The Boss

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 11:19pm PST 
"Abuse or improper use of a tool by some doesn't negate the effectiveness or relevance of that same tool when it's being utilized correctly."

"Indeed. Ecollars, prong collars, choke chains, clickers, and any other tool you can think of which is meant for training is just that: a tool. It's really up to the handler's discretion whether any tool will be beneficial or detrimental to the dog's training and/or health."

Indeed, then why use such tools that are potentially dangerous to your dog? Here's an experiment for all of you: put one of these shock collars around your neck with the setting on the lowest number. Imagine it at a higher level. It doesn't feel good, does it. Just think what you're doing to your dog every time you push that button. It's best to educate oneself of the pros and cons of using such devices.
[notify]
» There has since been 90 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 9:14 pm

The Boss

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 12:14am PST 
Then, if we're not talking about training here, then what is the purpose of having a shock or prong collar on a dog? Have you seen the injuries caused by these collars on dogs? I have! The injuries are not necessarily on the fur but underneath it, in addition to the psychological affects to the dog.

It seems to me that the owners who have shock collars on their dogs is to stop certain behaviors such as barking. When the dog barks, BUZZ! That instills fear in the dog resulting in further behavioral problems such as shaking and involunteer peeing.

It seems to me, a lot of people don't understand that in R training, the dog owner/trainer just ignores the behavior. When the dog sees that the behavior it offered is ignored, it won't offer it anymore. It only takes a little bit of time and patience to properly train your dog using R methods.
[notify]
» There has since been 96 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 9:14 pm

The Boss

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 3:22am PST 
Here's a bit of wisdom: Shock collars and electric fences, including the invisible ones, injure dogs. Positive punishments, negative punishments, dominance training doesn't work as well either. Your best bet in training your dog is to use Positive Reinforcement Training, which, unlike the other forms of dog training methods or behavioral modifications training, does not leave or cause further behavioral problems.

If you want your dog to trust you and not fear you, in addition to a willingness to learn more, use Positive Reinforcement Training.Take it from my mommy and all the other dogs she has trained over the years.wink
[notify]
» There has since been 106 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 9:14 pm

Grooming > Can anyone recommend a good tool for keeping .....

The Boss

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 3:55pm PST 
I have an Akita too and I find that using a furminator works great!big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 11 3:55 pm

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > Hello fellow dog lovers, we are new to dogster!

The Boss

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 3:52pm PST 
Hi! I'm new to dogster too! Hope to talk to all of you soon!big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 15 9:51 am

Raw Food Diet > VERY Concerned...bloody poop...need help!!! PIP!

The Boss

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 12:17am PST 
I'm sorry to hear you're having this medical problem with your dog, but if I were you, I'd get your dog to the vet, PRONTO!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 11 12:17 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.