Postings by Mozart

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Choosing the Right Dog > calm small breeds suggestions?
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Apr 10, '14 9:38am PST 
I think I am going to go with a toy poodle when the time comes. I know a lot of small dogs can have attitudes I Don't mind. I'm not a huge fan of Shih Tzus so I'm not going to consider them sorry.I have met a lot of them and they are little shihs. I love poodles and how smart they are and quick to learn and I have met the sweetest poodles I use to pet sit the two sweetest toy poodles and met a tiny one at the dog park that I wanted to take home. I think since this will be At least 7 years away I will be ready for a puppy even a smart poodle. Mozart has been an amazing dog he is half poodle half bichon from a byb but you would be amazed at all the awesome tricks he knows I love working with him just taught him a somersault. I think I will enjoy having a purebred poodle from a great breeder I'm excited for when the time comes.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 16 12:28 am

Choosing the Right Dog > calm small breeds suggestions?
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Fri Apr 4, '14 6:13pm PST 
Well definitely don't want another Yorkie they can be extremely temperamental and I find my Yorkie even though she is way older barks a lot more then Mozart even though she gets enough exercise and mental stimulation. I thought I have read that Maltese are calmer then most toy breeds I guess I am wrong. I definitely want to go with a puppy from a great breeder just if possible with parents that have calmer disposition if possiblesmile I don't mind training them I love doing that, Both my dogs bring me so much joy training them. I was just wondering of some breeds that are calmer under 20 lbs and don't shed. This will be at least 7 years down the row so I will definitely want a puppy when it is time. I met two Boston Terriers and the lady brings them to work they are the sweetest dogs ever and very well behaved.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 12:28 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What breed has the softest coat?

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 1:20pm PST 
A lot of people that meet and pet Mozart say that he has the softest and fluffy coat. He is a Bichon Frise/toy poodle mix. He is on good food Acana and I use special aloe shampoo and shea butter conditioner but even if he hasn't had a bath his coat is still very soft as long as he is combed regularly. He reminds me of a teddy bear hard to believe he has a nice coat and he is from a byb or puppy mill
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 30 1:20 pm

Behavior & Training > snapping when meeting bigger dogs?

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 3:25pm PST 
Thanks for the advice! He is pretty focused around other dogs because he knows he gets high value treats. Even when I don't have treats he will heel and look right at me and I have a target Stick that I get him to target. He is not bad passing other dogs at all I have reinforced him for paying attention to me. It's just the meetings he is not great at. I agree with you completely that he shouldn't do any greetings that's why I stopped fostering and I don't let him meet random dogs. He went to the vet the other day and I didn't let him meet any of the dogs there basically just rewarded him for paying attention to me. Thanks for the book recommendation I have heard a lot of people say great things about that book. I haven't read it yet so I will definitely get it. Today was not planned for and I should of picked Mozart up or just said nicely to the girl that he doesn't do with with greetings.
We all make mistakes. He does love playing with other dogs all the foster puppies I had he adored and when they where playing he would always come when called along with the foster puppy. He is a very playful dog just meeting them at first he doesn't do well with.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 27 3:25 pm

Behavior & Training > snapping when meeting bigger dogs?

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 1:40pm PST 
Hey y'all,

Mozart is a great dog he is 2 and a half years old and the love of my life super smart loves learning new things and spoiled rotten. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old and made sure to socialize him around big dogs and small dogs and of course people. He does well with almost all the smaller dogs he meets only occasionally he doesn't like them. Problem is especially meeting bigger new dogs he doesn't do well with. I fostered larger puppies for a rescue and Mozart loved playing with but when first meeting them on leash would always snap at them. It seems to be that When he meets bigger dogs then him face to face he will sniff kind of stiffly and then do a quick snap sometimes he will show his teeth a couple times before a quick snap. I don't really anymore let him or force to go up to random dogs especially bigger dogs. I'm guessing this is fear aggressive behavior because he knows he is smaller then the bigger dogs. He is not reactive when seeing other dogs I keep him under threshold and reward for behavior I like heeling and paying attention to me. If he gets too close to other dogs he gets very excited aroused wanting to meet them but not aggressive. I need some advice on proper way to handle this or the proper way to introduce him. I was considering a trainer but the good trainers are very expensive and I don't have the money for one sadly. I read a lot of books try to educate myself try to learn to read the dog's body language the best I can. Mozart met a big lab today on accident a girl was walking the dog and the dog got so excited it pulled her across the street to where Mozart was. They met face to face Mozart was stiff and then did a little snap I corrected him and took him away from the dog let him calm down some and went back to the dog. He did better the second time and acutally went in a circle to sniff the dog's butt. He seemed fine for awhile but then I guess I put some tension on the leash and he snapped agian. I keep the leash loose when he is meeting them. He also seemed to be by the end try to jump on the dog's head trying to get the dog to play. Luckily the other dog was very sweet and with Mozart was showing calming behaviors and didn't show any sign of aggression. Any advice? Today was not planned I don't normally let him meet random dogs unless I know the dog and he knows the dog. And when I walk it is about walking and not meeting dogs. I also try to praise him and offer him a treat for being nice to dog and doing any calming signals or proper greeting like going in a circle sniffing.

I'm not the most social person so I don't need to stop and talk with everyone and their dog. I also suffer from anxiety could Mozart be picking up on that?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 27 3:25 pm

Behavior & Training > teaching a dog a somersault?
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 1:03pm PST 
Yes he knows roll over and does it the right. That's the side I have been trying to work on. Hopefully as we keep working we will be able to do it I am just shaping it the best I can.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 27 1:03 pm

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:52pm PST 
I saw this video on YouTube and once I saw it I knew I would have to try to teach it to my small dog Mozart.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgefxJAjXSM

I'm following the instructions and teaching him to with a target Stick And Teaching Him To Put His Head under. A couple times he fell on his side thinking he was playing dead. I need some advice on how to properly train this? So far I am only rewarding for putting his head under his legs very far.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 27 1:03 pm

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:52pm PST 
I saw this video on YouTube and once I saw it I knew I would have to try to teach it to my small dog Mozart.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgefxJAjXSM

I'm following the instructions and teaching him to with a target Stick And Teaching Him To Put His Head under. A couple times he fell on his side thinking he was playing dead. I need some advice on how to properly train this? So far I am only rewarding for putting his head under his legs very far.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 26 1:52 pm

Behavior & Training > Mozart plays patty cake

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '14 2:19pm PST 
I recently taught this to Mozart after I saw a Yorkie on YouTube do it. It is the cutest trick and wanted to share it with y'all.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5Fx-Jsgdo
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Mar 9 12:38 pm

Behavior & Training > best brand of Frisbee?
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Fri Feb 21, '14 6:09pm PST 
Well I also ordered the hyperflex hyperflite frisbee. It came in the mail this week! Mozart really likes it but is still getting use to it since it is harder then his soft gummy frisbee he is use to. At first he loved to tug with the hyperflex but not anymore. He loves to catch it in the air and we do rollers and he loves that! The soft flite is coming in the mail soon so we shall see how it holds up to tugging. Hopefully it will hold up well Mozart is only 10Lbs and he doesn't have crazy bite strength. Now I am just trying to teach him to catch the frisbee in longer distances and eventually teach him a vault off of my leg and back if possible with a small dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Feb 21 6:09 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.